spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

HereWeGo

@mycingular.net

[IA] Waterloo area, terrible packet loss, poor speeds

So another night, more issues. I'm seeing horrendous (upwards of 40%) packet loss, slow and inconsistent speeds. Seems to be a recurring theme!
So what fiber was cut this time? Mediacom has the most unreliable network I have ever seen! Good thing AT&T Wireless can keep a connection I bet they don't buy back haul from Mediacom!

tsduke
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA
Yup. Completely unusable this morning and near unusable last night.

skidooy

join:2009-12-15
Iowa City, IA
reply to HereWeGo
50% packet loss in Iowa City out to most places as well this morning.

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
reply to HereWeGo
Same here also in Iowa City.
This also probably related/same problem: »[IA] ultra50 speeds have dropped badly in last 2 weeks

nfrerichs

join:2012-02-23
Cedar Falls, IA
reply to HereWeGo
Not to jinx anything, but my connection has been solid for nearly 1 hour in Cedar Falls.

-edit-

Nevermind, hicups starting again.

CF_mc_cust

@uni.edu
reply to HereWeGo
Same in Cedar Falls. It started last night a little after 5pm for me, been horrible since.

jrodson69

join:2012-10-02
Independence, IA
reply to HereWeGo
Same here, Independence, IA area, packet loss over 50% and intermittent (VERY) connections. Virtually unusable. I hope they get this sorted out soon.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:118
reply to HereWeGo
There is an issue of slow speeds affecting much of IA, Waterloo and Cedar Rapids included in this. This began last night. We are aware and have the issue reported and are working towards a resolution. Currently there is no ETR.

DoctorX

join:2010-08-01
since most of the internet circuits route through nyc, i think we will not see improvement until the rerouting completes... lord knows how long that will take.

twhiting9275

join:2002-08-30
Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to HereWeGo
I noticed this last night when I got home about 11, but as others have said, this is to be expected.

Remember, folks, we have one of the biggest storms we've known of going through New York. This will affect everyone. Until it's passed, it's just best to have patience and accept that this will be a problem. Is it an inconvenience? Absolutely. However, this is something that should be affecting everyone right now.

cohesioN241

join:2012-10-17
Dubuque, IA
One of my buddies in Cedar Falls was trying to get a response from Mediacom via Twitter, seemed most of the packets were dropping at the AT&T hop.

twhiting9275

join:2002-08-30
Waterloo, IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
said by cohesioN241:

seemed most of the packets were dropping at the AT&T hop.

Same here, been running traces all over the place. Even my own server in Chicago seems to be timing out, occasionally.

Like I said, right now, they get a pass, because there's this huge natural disaster going on. Can't really blame them for this one

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
reply to HereWeGo
I won't say this issue is fixed, but as of around 11am Tue (today), I'd say it seems that it's 90+% fixed. Like I said, it's MUCH better right now than last night/this am.

DoctorX

join:2010-08-01
reply to HereWeGo
seems to be much better:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 56.243 Mbps (7 MB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 4.624 Mbps (0.6 MB/sec transfer rate)
The closest server located in Minneapolis, MN performed this test with a latency of 28 milliseconds.
Test Date: Tue Oct 30 2012 11:32:02 GMT-0500 (CDT)

CF_mc_cust

@uni.edu
Whether or not it's the cause, there's no need to cover for Mediacom and assume it's the hurricane. When my connection drops I always check their website for postings and for maintenance alerts first and rarely see any listed. I also call the 800 number to listen for any outage notices.

Even if it's beyond their control and this is an outage affecting large parts of the country, mediacom shouldn't rely on savvy customers to guess and deliver such news to other customers. If this is/was the hurricanes fault, I have no problem giving them pass, but at least communicate something.

Note: No offense to MediacomChad, he's quite the opposite, does an outstanding job and makes this board a valuable resource.

cohesioN241

join:2012-10-17
Dubuque, IA
reply to HereWeGo
»www.internettrafficreport.com/namerica.htm

I usually follow this site whenever I'm noticing issues before I turn to the ISP. Looks like only 50% of the US network is up and you can notice a huge spike in packet loss (up to 32% right now at 2:27 CDT) starting yesterday.

DeltaDart1

join:2007-12-13
Cedar Rapids, IA
reply to HereWeGo
Everything is back to normal here. I'm in Cedar Rapids. Everyone that I know was having problems last night here in Eastern Iowa. Had to be the storm?

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:118
I am glad that it is working for you. Let me know if you have any other issues.

tsduke
Premium
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA
So what was the issue?