uniqs
OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you
join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA

OmagicQ to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

Re: WHO is UP-DOWN during Sandy

This isn't stricty voip-related but the group audio/video chat service Paltalk is up and running and they are based in NYC. I ran a wireshark trace to get some ips and when I looked them up they were all in NYC.
borntochill
join:2003-02-09
united state

borntochill to MartinM

to MartinM
said by MartinM:

Regarding VoiP.ms, the reason the website and New York POP were switched to another data center with a DNS Update is simple..The data center in New York where VoIP.ms Website is hosted estimated diesel power to 65 hours, then they got flooded and estimated power to 5-6 hours, that's when we decided to take action. We already had backup images ready, we also have a permanent real time image of our database being replicated to two other geo locations. However, these changes can take a little time to implement. The very first thing that was done was to update DNS for New York VoIP. Web site was a second priority because it does't affect uptime for the VoIP service. At the moment of typing this, the customer interface is being tested and should be online in a few.

MartinM, I want to commend you and the technical staff at voip.ms for having the foresight to put in place good geographic redundancy as well as good disaster planning. All my clients that I set up with you guys, including those on the newyork.voip.ms server, were up-and-running this morning with all features working perfectly. Bravo!
mdseuss
join:2012-05-27
Worcester, MA

mdseuss to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
More on 75 Broad issues NYC:

»arstechnica.com/informat ··· outages/
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member
join:2008-07-21

MartinM to borntochill

Premium Member

to borntochill
said by borntochill:

MartinM, I want to commend you and the technical staff at voip.ms for having the foresight to put in place good geographic redundancy as well as good disaster planning. All my clients that I set up with you guys, including those on the newyork.voip.ms server, were up-and-running this morning with all features working perfectly. Bravo!

Thank you I appreciate your comment and I passed it to the whole team.
gbh2o
join:2000-12-18
Longs, SC

gbh2o to JoeSchmoe007

to JoeSchmoe007
Ahh, but my family that wanders around the world at times, and a few friends I allow to use my setup love the convenience. It is extremely rare that they ever see a failure due to my provider redundancy and depth of services. I do this to help maintain my sanity in a boring retirement!

_I_ have experienced more cell phone and POTS outages and over-loads during and after hurricanes than I have loss of internet and VoIP. I have even been privileged to be able to provide neighbors and others working VoIP service for several days following one bad storm. Their relatives in other areas were relieved to be able to maintain contact.

NOTHING is perfect or reliable under all conditions. And, I am certainly not paying for 99.999% reliability! I have previously expressed my personal opinions and experience on individual VoSPs; search is your friend if you are interested.

But, remember I was merely responding to the topic question with my previous response, not looking for a debate.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium Member
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
(Software) pfSense
MikroTik CRS125-24G-1S-RM

1 recommendation

XCOM

Premium Member

said by gbh2o:

Ahh, but my family that wanders around the world at times, and a few friends I allow to use my setup love the convenience. It is extremely rare that they ever see a failure due to my provider redundancy and depth of services. I do this to help maintain my sanity in a boring retirement!

_I_ have experienced more cell phone and POTS outages and over-loads during and after hurricanes than I have loss of internet and VoIP. I have even been privileged to be able to provide neighbors and others working VoIP service for several days following one bad storm. Their relatives in other areas were relieved to be able to maintain contact.

NOTHING is perfect or reliable under all conditions. And, I am certainly not paying for 99.999% reliability! I have previously expressed my personal opinions and experience on individual VoSPs; search is your friend if you are interested.

But, remember I was merely responding to the topic question with my previous response, not looking for a debate.

You are entitle to your opinion I give you that
But seriously... No redundancy for a service provider such as CC? This is a joke. And you are ok with that? you must like the action on your retirement days
Though it is up to the provider to keep as much uptime possible to their customers... BUT CC not even an attempt to "try" and move your service to a fail over... Not even to improvise the situation...
Unacceptable.
If this is the case for any VoIP company dude I am out!
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

Just imagine telling someone with phone service from, say, Verizon FIOS that they cannot call particular US number in South Dakota (not a 900 number or anything like this) because termination costs are too high. And that they need to maintain a backup phone service from CableVision.
OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you
join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA

OmagicQ to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
Another service possibly affected by Sandy is some tollfree calls routed through sipbroker. I am guessing its what Callcentric sponsors that is not working right now. Sipbroker itself seems to be working as I was able to make tollfree calls using *9026**18xxyyyzzzz
gbh2o
join:2000-12-18
Longs, SC

gbh2o to XCOM

to XCOM
said by XCOM:

said by gbh2o:

I have previously expressed my personal opinions and experience on individual VoSPs; search is your friend if you are interested.

You are entitle to your opinion I give you that
But seriously... No redundancy for a service provider such as CC? This is a joke. And you are ok with that? you must like the action on your retirement days
Though it is up to the provider to keep as much uptime possible to their customers... BUT CC not even an attempt to "try" and move your service to a fail over... Not even to improvise the situation...
Unacceptable.
If this is the case for any VoIP company dude I am out!

Hmmm, I must be missing something; I have no experience with CC and cannot (will not) comment about their services. That really wasn't the topic purpose as I understood it anyway. Several of the VoSPs with which I do business provide considerable backup and fail-over provisions for me. Over the years I have also commented on those topics, where appropriate.

If you do due diligence when seeking providers, and don't agree with a particular VoSP's philosophy, simply don't use them! My preferred providers were up as I previously indicated.
kaila
join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

kaila to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
Voxbeam's Virginia server remains up- received an email from them yesterday stating they have a seamless migration plan in place, and will switch to their Amsterdam center if necessary.

I have to say, with the many pre-paid ITSP's out there, it's relatively cheap & easy to setup a geographically spaced secondary provider which would cover outbound needs. Redundant inbound is tricky, as failover forwarding typically will go down with the ITSP. Voip.ms makes it easy to move DID's between their locations, but it requires access to their website.

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
Vitelity is failing my calls over to google and ringing through when my fios is active.

Callwithus is handling outgoing calls no problem.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k to Davesnothere

MVM

to Davesnothere

FWIW
VOIPo is in good shape through Sandy
»forums.voipo.com/showthr ··· tatement

Hope everyone out that way is OK. Seems like one of the worst!

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

Ken1943 to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

I have callcentric and only one server for the whole US in NYC. Think I will look at VIOPo. If I read correctly, hurricane in Texas or earthquake in CA at least split the difference. The biggest thing is the price. Have pay-by-call with CC which for me is a big deal. Retired and don't have many calls.
dutchtender
join:2010-11-21
Sunnyvale, CA

dutchtender to gbh2o

to gbh2o
said by gbh2o:

You just have to love the flexibility of VoIP; robust and reliable!

THANKS to all of you!

robust? no
reliable? no

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF to Ken1943

MVM

to Ken1943
said by Ken1943:

Think I will look at VIOPo. If I read correctly, hurricane in Texas or earthquake in CA at least split the difference.

No. Employees in TX and CA. All the servers are in ONE Texas datacenter.