dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

Powerline products

This powerline networking is working pretty well. They kept it very simple. Honestly, too simple.

I would prefer a web interface but I know the device does not get an IP address. The security is basically a password. All devices need to use the same PWD and they will talk to each other.

Zyxel has several fancy ways to look at having a password but in the end its simply just that. Pretty much the same as wifi.

The utility can not tell you the existing password. You can actually add without knowing the pwd, but its just odd that this is required to join the network but the utility can't tell you what it is.

Utility won't tell you what protocol is being run either. So it could be on the 200Mb protocol instead of the 500 and you will never know. Not that it matters since the Ethernet port is 100TX.

I haven't tested the throughput. I haven't tested the range either. instructions seem to indicate the signal will be blocked by the power meter. I think that is wishful thinking but we shall see.
--
dnoyeB
"Then said I, Wisdom [is] better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom [is] despised, and his words are not heard. " Ecclesiastes 9:16

Kirby Smith

join:2001-01-26
Derry, NH
Reviews:
·Fairpoint Commun..
Hmmm. To keep down power factor losses, one expects the power meter to not induce much inductance in series with the power line. Maybe what is trivial at 50/60 Hz is not so trivial to this link. Other loss actors include any nearby power-factor correcting capacitors (usually on poles), or capacitance in any transient suppressors (you do have those to protect all your electronics, right?), or in electronics attached to the power lines, or in modern electronic fluorescent light ballasts, or numerous other capacitive loads.

Then, of course, there is the series inductance of the power lines themselves between one unit and the other. I expect the characteristic impedance of the power lines is all over the place as the path follows different wire sizes, conductor spacings, and nearby cables.

A WiFi pair using directional antennas would seem to be a less lossy solution for a nearby link transceiver, although there would be some antenna cost. A suitable pair of Yagi's could be designed and built, or possibly UHF antennas would do. A directional link should be less accessible to others.

kirby

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to dnoyeB
said by dnoyeB:

instructions seem to indicate the signal will be blocked by the power meter.

That might be the case for older electro-mechanical meters where the current coils could interfere with the powerline communication. Newer electronic (smart) meters should not be an obstacle for powerline transmissions.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus

join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI
kudos:1
reply to dnoyeB
wifi might work but im not partial to radio waves everywhere. In any event, its just an experiment.