uniqs
BackStJoe
join:2009-08-17
New York, NY

1 recommendation

BackStJoe to rlyacht83

to rlyacht83

Re: [Storm 2012] Outages NYC

Thank you to the RCN crew for their hard work in getting us back up and running (10024 here). This has been a trying time for all in the Tri-State area and I feel for the folks who have lost their homes due to the storm. It will be quite awhile before life returns to normal.

nyturtle
@verizon.net

nyturtle to rcnman

Anon

to rcnman
No phone, no internet since lights came back on
brza44
join:2012-11-03
Astoria, NY

brza44 to rlyacht83

to rlyacht83
Still nothing this morning. I see from RCN's update that we (Astoria) are indeed simply at the bottom of the list of priorities. This despite the fact that we are home to more electrical infrastructure than almost anywhere in the country, with the attendant bad health effects. I have to agree with councilman Comrie, Queens just isn't getting attention. Downed tree near me on 27th St b/w 23rd & 24th aves: untouched.

Anybody official got any comment on those torched wires in 11105 or an ETA on when they'll be fixed? If this is purely conEd's fault, you NEED to call them out. If you don't, you're sacrificing customers who I'm sure would willingly transfer their ire to conEd. As of now the silence from RCN over the last half day-while still letting me know about my bill being due soon via email-is generating some serious ill will. My wife is in the last stages of editing her dissertation and needs access to materials online before she files it this week so she can defend in time to avoid another semester of tuition & fees and so she can apply for jobs. This is not some minor inconvenience
and nobody I know out here w/TWC is still dealing with this.

stockman
@verizon.net

stockman to NY2012

Anon

to NY2012
i used to be a daytrader at home also but mostly cause i couldnt get along with people in an office lol. maybe your cuz can let u borrow his TW until rcn fix it
said by NY2012 :

Have you been to Florida or in china lately? Go try to live there and let me know since you telling me about that.NY got hit a bit and was unprepared, the lost of life is very sad the rest can be fixed,If anything what this is telling me about NY the infrastructure is very old and NY is unprepared got hit in past even worst but people have short memory. Now when you rely on internet to make a living being a day trader that is a also matter of survival. For a business of their magnitude and revenue they are taking way to slow that not a justification is actual fact. They are negligent due to the coverage and the type of areas.One more reason for me to switch if you cant rely.My cousin which is one floor down has TW had and the service stopped for a day which also tells a lot since we are talking about ISP.

Expand your moderator at work

astoundcares
Emilie
Premium Member
join:2012-01-04

astoundcares to brza44

Premium Member

to brza44

Updates on power outages and service restores as of Nov 4th at 12noon:
Overall in New York, 70% of customers have been restored since the storm hit and 89% of customers have been restored in Pennsylvania. We continue to work around the clock to restore services to all of our customers -- see local updates here: »www.rcn.com/stormwatch
brza44
Astoria, NY

brza44

More detail, for full disclosure: 37%-THIRTY SEVEN PERCENT-of customers in Queens have had service restored. What a crock. Tomorrow, I'm expected at work at B'way & 4th in Manhattan. Even though a substation at 14th St & FDR exploded, in the intervening time the building has had electricity and Internet service restored and in all likelihood, steam as well. Over the same period, my apartment in Astoria (11105) has lost internet and the only thing we're told is some vague excuse about conEd not allowing access to poles. Again, I still see the same trees & lines down in my neighborhood and nobody is working on them. I guess once manhattan was restored conEd and RCN had their "mission accomplished" moment and Astoria, as usual, will be left waiting longer than the vast majority of the city to have its infrastructure restored. Well, I'm very angry but I can't say I'm surprised.

astoundcares
Emilie
Premium Member

astoundcares

Premium Member

Updates on Hurricane Sandy
November 4th - Updates on power outages and service restores as of 11:30 am:

New York City - overall in New York, since the storm hit 70% of customers have been restored.
74% of Manhattan has been restored; however, lower Manhattan remains under intense restoration.
There remain fifteen areas of infrastructure damage throughout the city. RCN crews visit twelve of these multiple times daily to gain access. The remaining three are actively being worked on today.
Lower Manhattan (below 39th street) buildings are coming online more quickly but still a challenging part of the city for restoration efforts.
Crews finally have access to some waterside properties along the East River and are actively working those buildings.
Brooklyn - has 98% of customers restored. For the Oceana Complex, RCN crews have accessed six out of the nine buildings there and are actively restoring services.
Queens - there remain locations where RCN crews are awaiting access from ConEd to begin restoration – here 37% of customers have had services restored.
Fuel conservation continues; although barges are now coming in with shipments. With gas and diesel shortages, RCN crews are conserving fuel and prioritizing vehicle usage. NYPD is patrolling fuel shortages.
Where possible, RCN has resumed normal business operations with technicians performing customer installations and service calls.
RCN has all hands on deck with additional crews from DC working throughout the weekend.

Lehigh Valley - power restoration is moving very quickly today (Sunday). However, loss of electrical power continues to affect an estimated 19,493 homes in the Lehigh Valley service area.
Crews are actively working in Bethlehem, Allentown, Easton, and Williams Township today (Sunday).
Our dispatchers, construction technicians, customer service technicians and maintenance technicians are working today in hopes of getting everyone’s RCN services restored where there is commercial power.
Where possible, RCN has resumed normal business operations with technicians performing customer installations and service calls.
Our walk-in customer service center in Bethlehem is open Monday-Thursday: 8am-6pm, Friday-8am-8pm and Saturday-8:30am-1pm.

We hope you and your family remain safe during this weather occurrence. Natural disasters are very stressful and we want you to know we will be here for you.

Rcn sucks
@mycingular.net

Rcn sucks to rcnman

Anon

to rcnman

Re: [Connectivity] Out in nyc 10024 (upper west side)

Mr vp it's been a week later and nothing in NYC we don't have a choice of power companies but we do with cable and I'm going back to twc
Rcn sucks

Rcn sucks to rlyacht83

Anon

to rlyacht83

I ripped my converter boxes out and ready to return them to the third ave off in manhattan to cancel crap service they are in no way prepared at a third rate cable company to handle this twc has been up in same bldg for week
brza44
Astoria, NY

brza44 to astoundcares

to astoundcares
Ok, now I'm being moderated again. Just a few points though:

-apparently, no crews are "actively working" at sites in Queens. Which is true, again:same trees & pole down near me.

-that there is not even an estimate as to when 63% of Queens will be back on line but you comment on specific buildings and complexes in Manhattan & Brooklyn is an insult.

-how can rcn justify using personnel for installations when 63% of Queens is w/o service?

-why does rcn feel a need to shield conEd from criticism but feels no need to give specific ETAs for Queens? How long should I wait? Over a week? Two weeks? While rcn is doing installations so they make more cash?

I'm canceling my service and switching to TWC. RCN should be ashamed of their response to this situation in Queens

Dmple2012
@rcn.com

Dmple2012

Anon

ConEd is likely prioritizing at this moment which mens getting power up to as much of the population as possible. Dont be a hater but it means Manhattan because population is more dense. They are actively trying to get all subways , hospitals and schools up & running.

RCN probably will not bad mouth ConEd (at least not publicly) because they depend on ConEd to operate and stay in business. ConEd doesn't depend on RCN to Survive.
said by brza44:

Ok, now I'm being moderated again. Just a few points though:

-apparently, no crews are "actively working" at sites in Queens. Which is true, again:same trees & pole down near me.

-that there is not even an estimate as to when 63% of Queens will be back on line but you comment on specific buildings and complexes in Manhattan & Brooklyn is an insult.

-how can rcn justify using personnel for installations when 63% of Queens is w/o service?

-why does rcn feel a need to shield conEd from criticism but feels no need to give specific ETAs for Queens? How long should I wait? Over a week? Two weeks? While rcn is doing installations so they make more cash?

I'm canceling my service and switching to TWC. RCN should be ashamed of their response to this situation in Queens

brza44
Astoria, NY

brza44 to astoundcares

to astoundcares
Thanks again for nothing, RCN. 37% of Queens-well again I guess it's mission accomplished since the "important" boroughs of Manhattan and Brooklyn are taken care of. i can't believe you're wasting personnel on installations when 63% of Queens is still w/o service. And frankly I don't believe this line about conEd. If they're inconveniencing your customers this much why aren't you calling them out publicly? Why don't you refer us to someone there to lodge complaints with? I dare say it's because your line is a bs excuse for simply not having the manpower now that you've pivoted to "business as usual." Honestly, the subway is back up but you're still not allowed to access poles? But that doesn't effect TWC. Yeah, ok. Well I hope you really like your corporate buddy, conEd, because if what you say is true they're costing you customers. Glad to hear your standard services are available though so I can cancel my service and get TW installed. This is a 3rd-world standard of service. You know they can build a skyscraper in a month in China these days:

»m.cnet.com/news/chinese- ··· 524?ds=1

»www.wired.com/design/201 ··· per/all/

But here in NYC, it takes RCN at least a quarter of that amount of time (and who knows how long it will be total-RCN doesn't) to fix some equipment on a pole. I'm done with this crap-and I certainly don't expect to be charged a full month on my LAST RCN bill.
brza44

brza44 to Dmple2012

to Dmple2012
Pay attention to what's been written before commenting. We never lost power. As I said above, I actually think RCN blaming conEd is a bs excuse. ConEd has been moving mountains-it's RCN that can't restore service to a relatively unaffected after a week.

As for your scolding: I have a 6-months pregnant wife. I couldn't call 911 on my land like if I needed to do so. And since NOBODY has Internet and are crowding the wireless network, I can't keep a call from dropping. So I can't call 911 at all. But hey, I just need to stop "hating" on RCN for taking the time to restore service to 98% of Brooklyn customers and giving updates on specific buildings/complexes in Manhattan & Brooklyn while we stew a week later w/o service or an ETA for restoration. Finally, don't worry about me-I won't be rcn's problem anymore real soon.

NYC
@rcn.com

NYC to stockman

Anon

to stockman
I don't know how reliable is his computer, been there just to see if he is affected or not. I have custom build desktop only for trading, taking the whole thing apart than remounting it needs time plus some software services wont work with other IP and MAC. I'll rather switch to TWC and save the headache, good luck to the rest of people here.

NY2012
@rcn.com

NY2012 to Dmple2012

Anon

to Dmple2012

ConEd is not prioritizing queens which matters since you paying for service that is not there. I'm not sure how you can refer to him/her as hater when RCN is business in first place and as a business if you can't cover areas and meet the needs of all customers than you should not be in those areas in first place leave others that can handle it.If RCN can't fix this problem and is leaving Queens the last and is depending on ConED and has no power over, than this is also my exit call to more efficient ISP which handles problems in time. I'll pay the same or even more to get better service, after all we also depend on internet to make a living if you cant handle it don't be in the business.

astoundcares
Emilie
Premium Member

2 recommendations

astoundcares

Premium Member

November 5th - Updates on power outages and service restores as of 11:00am:

•New York City - overall in New York, since the storm hit 73% of customers have been restored. This mirrors the progression of power restoration throughout the city – ConEd is reporting 80% power restore throughout New York City.
Seventy-two buildings were walked, cleared and services restored over the weekend in Manhattan. 78% of Manhattan has been restored; however, lower Manhattan remains under intense clean-up and repair.
Many locations remain inaccessible. »www.rcn.com/images/stormwatch/Ne···mEST.pdf

Lower Manhattan – below 39th on the East side and below 31st St on the West side.
Stuy Town - continued multiple daily checks for access. Still flooded areas.
Waterside Plaza – no power and still flooded. Continued multiple daily checks for access.
Nickerbocker Village – no power and still flooded. Continued multiple daily checks for access.
Throughout lower Manhattan, electricity not entirely stable. Residents are being asked to conserve energy.

Brooklyn - has 98% of customers restored.For the Oceana Complex, RCN crews have accessed six out of the nine buildings there and have restored video services. This complex was badly flooded and water is still being pumped out. Continued visits to these areas to attempt access for restore.
Queens - there remain 12 locations where RCN crews are in close contact with ConEd to begin restoration - all of these locations were surveyed today. In these locations, police barricades, fallen trees and lack of power cause an inability to begin repairs. It remains that in these areas, 37% of customers have had services restored.
Limited mass transit - schools opening today.
Fuel conservation continues; although barges are now coming in with shipments. With gas and diesel shortages, RCN crews are conserving fuel and prioritizing vehicle usage. NYPD is patrolling fuel shortages.
Additional crews are on the ground from Washington, DC providing relief and support to New York technicians.

•Lehigh Valley - Utility company reports confirm that 7, 300 homes in the Lehigh Valley are without electrical power as downed trees and other impairments continue to hamper restoration progress. The RCN areas still affected by a lack of electrical service are Williams Township and small sections of Riegelsville and Emmaus. In those areas crews have been dispatched to begin repairs in preparation for electrical restoration on all but that which has suffered significant damage. In all other locations continuing issues are now being addressed on an individual basis. Where both electricity and RCN services have been reactivated, we have resumed normal business operations with technicians performing installations and service calls.
Our walk-in customer service center in Bethlehem is open for business as follows: Monday-Thursday: 8am-6pm, Friday: 8am-8pm, and Saturday: 8:30am-1pm.

•Philadelphia/Delaware County - We have resumed normal business operations with technicians performing installations and service calls. Continuing issues are now being addressed on an individual basis.

All Updates and Tips: »www.rcn.com/j/stormwatch

We hope you and your family remain safe during this weather occurrence. Natural disasters are very stressful and we want you to know we will be here for you.

NY2012
@rcn.com

NY2012

Anon

To the VIP representatives of RCN Emilie and Jason we do appreciate your info and updates. The point is RCN as company is taking way to slow, and those areas have power like Astoria. RCN as main ISP provider should have done something to accelerate and resolve the problem. The customer see this as both inability of the company and the negligence toward this specific area it does not translate good no matter how going to explain it.Toward the actual customers and future customers your company is representing itself as just low efficient and waste of money for the service they are paying.Good luck fixing your reputation.
brza44
Astoria, NY

brza44 to astoundcares

to astoundcares
Restoration numbers keep going up in every borough but Queens. There are apparently more inaccessible sites today than on Saturday. We also don't get a specific list of sites to be addressed like they've linked to their site for Manhattan.

I apologize for some of my stronger comments above as conEd has indeed dropped the ball here as well. That pole at 28th & Ditmars being charred to a crisp, listing 30 degrees and useless since last Thursday is their fault. And they're giving themselves to the 9th to fix it.

This whole situation is unbelievable. I've contacted my councilman and congressmen. I can fathom no explanation for the situation in 11105 except for inadequate allocation of labor.
Maggs
Premium Member
join:2002-11-29
Jackson Heights, NY

1 recommendation

Maggs to rlyacht83

Premium Member

to rlyacht83
Well folks, cut RCN some slack here. It's not like they can control the weather! Also keep in mind they have to provide power to 1,000s of nodes and when the batteries fail, they can't do much if they can't get to them. People expect cable companies to walk on water. You should definitely go to Time Warner if you feel RCNs services are sub par, be prepared for a shock to the wallet though, when the promo rate expires. I've priced the same services (triple play) I get from RCN with Time Warner it's $110 for 12 months ($30 cheaper), this doesn't include the $30 or so dollars in taxes and fees assessed on your cable bill, so essentially it's a wash.

You try to piece this together, and splice hair thin strands of fiber optic, take a look at this photo of a NYC manhole. Now assume that manhole is filled with 4 foot of salt water and electrical cabling. What RCN tech wants to die so you can get cable service?

»www.google.com/imgres?q= ··· s:0,i:92

PorthosJon
@mycingular.net

PorthosJon

Anon

Well, they can't blame this on the weather. Most of Astoria has lost all services. I didn't lose any services from the weather, so please explain why the whole area is out now without any explanation.
brza44
Astoria, NY

brza44 to Maggs

to Maggs
My job is complex too, but I can't avoid my responsibility to do said work by melodramatically describing it's technical aspects. If I made my clients wait for service like this, they would go elsewhere, rightly. And to repeat: how long should I wait? Two weeks? A month? At what point am I voluntarily choosing to be a chump?

Andrewgee
@myvzw.com

Andrewgee to PorthosJon

Anon

to PorthosJon
I am in the same situation as porthosjon where fortunately I was unaffected by sandy however at around 10:30 last night, I lost my internet. I called tech support twice but it was just a waste of my time. I too live in astoria.

astoundcares
Emilie
Premium Member

astoundcares to PorthosJon

Premium Member

to PorthosJon
Queens - Update
¡This was a part of the major fiber damage due to a Con Ed pole fire that feeds service into the area. We have been working on it nonstop and I believe the repair is complete.
¡This repair affects many customers in Queens based around our 43rd Ave hub.

Our updates have been posted on: »rcn.com/j/stormwatch
astoundcares

1 recommendation

astoundcares

Premium Member

Updates on power outages and service restores as of November 6th at 12 noon:

•New York City - overall in New York, since the storm hit, 84% of customers have been restored. This mirrors the progression of power restoration throughout the city.
We continue repair work and now prep for a nor’easter storm headed to our area expected for Thursday.
Some locations remain inaccessible. See NYC inaccessible sites list on »www.rcn.com/j/stormwatch

Lower Manhattan - below 39th on the East side and below 31st St on the West side.
Stuy Town - Peter Cooper Village still flooded; RCN crews are awaiting access.
Many sites have now been moved off generator power and back onto the electrical grid.
Electricity stable in lower Manhattan.

Queens - Update on Astoria and Maspeth.
This was a part of the major fiber damage due to a Con Ed pole fire that feeds service into the area. We have been working on it nonstop and I believe the repair is complete.
This repair affects many customers in Queens based around our 43rd Ave hub.

Brooklyn - has 98% of customers restored. For the Oceana Complex, RCN crews have accessed six out of the nine buildings there and have restored video services. This complex was badly flooded and water is still being pumped out. Continued visits to these areas to attempt access for restore.
With gas and diesel shortages, RCN crews are conserving fuel and prioritizing vehicle usage.
Additional crews are on the ground from Washington, DC providing relief and support to New York technicians.

•Lehigh Valley - Utility company reports confirm that 3,525 homes in the Lehigh Valley are without electrical power as downed trees and other impairments continue to hamper restoration progress.
The RCN areas still affected by a lack of electrical service are Williams Township and small sections of Riegelsville and Emmaus. These areas have numerous trees and pole lines down; the power company is working to restore power in these areas. Crews continue to work here where electrical restoration has occurred.
Construction continues to track and restore 52 locations with damaged plant, 53 areas have already been restored.
Our walk-in customer service center in Bethlehem is open for business as follows: Monday-Thursday - 8am-6pm, Friday - 8am-8pm and Saturday - 8:30am-1pm.

•Philadelphia/Delaware County - Continuing issues are now being addressed on an individual basis.
astoundcares

astoundcares

Premium Member

Storm Restoration Update:

LHV - Downed trees & other damage continues to hamper completion of RCN's restoration progress. Visit »rcn.com/j/stormwatch for location detail.

NY Astoria..The outage in this area is a result of damaged fiber which was caused by a downed Con Edison power line. Access to the area was delayed due to a clearly hazardous condition with live power lines lying across our fiber. We have the fiber crews currently working in this area to make repair. We are hoping to have impacted customers up and running by early afternoon. Con Edison owns the poles and RCN must wait for access until they have completed their work. We share your frustration trying to get this resolved.

New York City - Crews began a very early morning blitz on repairs in an anticipation of approaching storms.
We continue repair work and are preparing for the Nor’easter storm headed to our area.
A manhole fire in lower Manhattan caused a fiber burn near 75 Wall Street. Crews are working to assess damage at this location.
View detailed report on unaccessible buildings with remaining restoration available at »rcn.com/j/stormwatch