spc
Search similar:

uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

Window weatherstripping for winter

Last year, I noticed my windows weren't perfectly draft sealed, especially in the middle (two part sliding window).

So for the coming winter, I will seal around the window trims and the center.

However, I find the price of weatherstripping (sticky foam tape) to be abusive for something that is thrown out every year. There are cheap rolls (cheap per foot) but those aren't wide enough to cover the frame's inside edge, since it's wider to allow the windows to slide.

Do you guys buy your supplies online/ebay? Do you use another product, like some sort of construction tape, that's cheap per foot that does the same job? (I think weatherstripping foam tapes are overpriced as they are marketed towards non-DIYers).

I'd use tuck tape, but the color... my wife would veto.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

Yesterday, I used some 2" wide clear packageing tape to seal a window I had to leave open for an extension cord from my generator.

It kept most of the heat in and the wind out, plus it's cheap.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Coma:

Yesterday, I used some 2" wide clear packageing tape to seal a window

No, not a good solution for me.
It's okay if in a bind, for a limited location, but if I were to use that on all my windows, it will be a paint to remove in spring time.

Packaging tape doesn't exactly peel off all in one piece

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

[Packaging tape doesn't exactly peel off all in one piece

It does for me . . .

HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

said by Coma:

said by alkizmo:

[Packaging tape doesn't exactly peel off all in one piece

It does for me . . .

Not after it's been stuck there for several months. Typically, the glue stays on the window and is a PITA to remove.

PapaJoe
Just My Two Cents Worth
join:2000-07-05
Chicago, IL

PapaJoe to alkizmo

to alkizmo
I have used clear silicone on all the edges of my double hung windows. It is fairly cheap and peels off pretty easily come spring.
Jacob Henry
join:2012-11-30

Jacob Henry to alkizmo

to alkizmo
Vinyl weatherstripping creates a tension seal and is used inside track of a sliding door or window. It's cheap, durable, and is easy to install.

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck to alkizmo

MVM

to alkizmo
why not put up the whole window plastic sheeting? That seals it all and is pretty easy to install and remove.

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike

Premium Member

The plastic sheeting is great -- if you don't have small children and/or pets in your home.

For everyone else: I've been eyeing this product, but the reviews talking about the odor make me hesitant.

»www.amazon.com/18324-Sea ··· 002YVNOQ

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by pike:

The plastic sheeting is great -- if you don't have small children and/or pets in your home.

I have small children.
Plus it looks god aweful. I'd never get a green light from the wife.
said by pike:

For everyone else: I've been eyeing this product, but the reviews talking about the odor make me hesitant.

Same here, I can't get "ventilation" if the windows are sealed.

I'll stick to tape for now, maybe next winter I'll have better ideas. Right now I have a big problem with my laundry room being super extremely cold to deal with. It's about 8x5, but only 5' of wall is to the interior of the house, everything else is exterior.