Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Pathfinder

Re: MTA Shutdown

well, i take back my critism of the subway shutdown, even though i still insist it was 8-12 hours premature. the web is now full of photos where dozens of different stations have tracks flooded up to and sometimes above the passenger platforms. i hope the city priorities the pumping in order to get some lines running soon, so for example get at least one brooklyn-manhatten-queens and one brooklyn-manhatten-bronx line running so people can take that and simply go crosstown by bus or on foot.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
NYC's subway system is massive. Over 800 miles of track, 468 stations, and 5,600 cars. Coney Island's train yard complex alone is the home for something like 1,800 cars. Even with plans in place for a scenario like this, it still takes a lot of time and manpower to move all those trains around to their havens to protect them against being flooded and damaged or ruined. Station and other infrastructure also had to be prepared. So it would have been a serious mistake to keep service running longer.

Recovery is probably going to take quite a while. All those stashed trains are sitting on mainline track. NYCT undoubtedly left at least 1 track open along each route so they can move personnel and repair equipment around. However, until they can roll the stored trains further out into the system, there is no way even limited passenger service could be resumed.

How did Forest Hills fare the storm?
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
thanks for asking... we mostly got the wind, so the few weak trees that Irene missed last year, Sandy finally knocked down. we have power, internet, well stocked store shelves etc. obviously the big concern now will be the lack of mass transit for the balance of the week. the brooklyn and holland(nj) tunnels got flooded, so mostly commuter non-commercial traffic in/out of manhatten will be stressed. my guess is most who can will take today off, but do whatever is needed to get to work on wednesday.

i imagine DC got most of the Rain - i hope you were in a well drained area.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
kudos:2
Lots of rain all day and a few hours of sustained, very strong wind last night. No major problems anywhere around downtown where I am. Some flooding, debris, and power issues as one heads away from the core. The heavy damage was to our east, getting progressively heavier the further east one goes.

I lived in FH for a while long ago.
--
"Dance like the photo isn't being tagged; love like you've never been unfriended; and tweet like nobody is following."

TrainBuff
The New Haven Railroad
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Buffalo, NY
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to DC DSL
In addition to what DC wrote. If it's salt water in the tunnels, it will cause corrosion. The electrical distribution system must be carefully checked and repairs made. You just just can't turn on a switch. There is a strict procedure that must be followed for the safety of all personnel working. The signaling system is very complex. All track circuits must be checked as well as the relays. Problem that the TA will face is that most of the signaling relays used are original and no longer manufactured.
It will be a long process to get the system running.
--
Train Yourself To Relax...Ride The New Haven Railroad! Weather or No...Go New Haven!
The New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Co.:1872-1968. Serving New York and the Great Industrial States of Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut