how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

anon

@ca.gov
reply to TheTechGuru

Re: Lifeline Internet Service

I think that they should offer internet at the lower speed for everybody. I by no means qualify for lifeline utilities but I don't need 30Mbps so I shouldn't be forced to pay for it. I'd happily get 10Mbps for $20/month if it were offered. It is a matter of priorities of my monthly outlay and not a need to have basic internet for cheap due to my income.

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17
I presume most here interested in lower Internet costs have chosen cell phone over land line? I'm always getting offers from my telco for $19.99/mo for five years if I add a DSL plan to my landline account. Max speed here for that price is 10Mbps down.

Premium
join:2012-06-11
Lucky you. LOL

whoaru99

3 edits
Lucky? I dunno...if you look at cost per Mbps it's actually more than Charter. Guess that's the way most things work though...ketchup costs more per ounce in a small bottle too.

Do you have an landline and have you checked what's available to you that way?

As harsh as it sounds, Charter probably isn't going to offer a slower, cheaper package until they feel enough pain from customers leaving (as opposed to whinging) for slower, cheaper plans.

Premium

1 edit
said by whoaru99:

Lucky? I dunno...if you look at cost per Mbps it's actually more than Charter. Guess that's the way most things work though...ketchup costs more per ounce in a small bottle too.

Do you have an landline and have you checked what's available to you that way?

As harsh as it sounds, Charter probably isn't going to offer a slower, cheaper package until they feel enough pain from customers leaving (as opposed to whinging) for slower, cheaper plans.

I don't care if the price is a bit more per mb as long as it is significantly cheaper than the high prices for 30 mb service.

I have ATT in my area (no other options) and there is NO such plan available in my area There are promo packages for 3mb and 6mb but they only last for one year and then the price climbs as high as Charter for less mb. Not to mention that ATT has even more atrocious customer service than Charter.

So when a customer desires a cheaper offering they are
"whining" ? Nonsense.

Glad the gov't is involved in this because the greed factor cannot be tamed by prudence of the management and executives anymore, it needs the hand of regulation to force it.

whoaru99

Interesting, albeit not totally unexpected and completely false, attempt to demonize me as part of the industry because I don't agree with your sense of entitlement.

Premium
said by whoaru99:

Interesting, albeit not totally unexpected and completely false, attempt to demonize me as part of the industry because I don't agree with your sense of entitlement.

So did I have a sense of entitlement when I had the Charter Internet Lite service (3/1) at $19.99/mo that was offered without gov't regulation for years?

I wasn't getting "something for nothing" ,the company would not have offered that tier unless they were making a profit on it. The speeds were very modest and so was the price, a nice fit for those that do not want or need fancy, expensive service.

Keep angling that PR. Maybe a few will swallow it.

whoaru99

I remember when gas was under $1 a gallon and old timers tell me you used to be able to buy a glass of beer for a nickel...

Premium
I had that service for the past couple of years. Very recent. The rate of inflation for internet service is probably less than most other services and goods.

Not to mention that a smart company would rather retain a long term reliable (pay bills on time all the time) customer than lose them completely even if the profit is small. Some extra profit is better than no profit at all.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to whoaru99
said by whoaru99:

I remember when gas was under $1 a gallon and old timers tell me you used to be able to buy a glass of beer for a nickel...

You must be a real youngster, if that's the cheapest you remember gas?

When I got my very first car, at age 16, gas was 32 cents a gallon!

Some how I think this topic is getting way off track?!

As far as todays generation vs. my generation, the kids are so used to handouts, they don't have a clue what to do after school, which is half the reason the we are so messed up in this country.
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

1 edit
said by cork1958:

said by whoaru99:

You must be a real youngster, if that's the cheapest you remember gas?

When I got my very first car, at age 16, gas was 32 cents a gallon!

Some how I think this topic is getting way off track?!

As far as todays generation vs. my generation, the kids are so used to handouts, they don't have a clue what to do after school, which is half the reason the we are so messed up in this country.

They were given "hand outs" back then too, it just was not realized because it was a lot more integrated into the family values and way of life.

Somehow in the 60's parents of 16yr olds still managed to help their kids get vehicles and somewhere to live to get started.

Also, there were more housewives back then, so if they couldn't help their kids get one, mom was around to drive them to a job or college.

I don't know why you call it a "hand out", I call it a "start". IT TAKES MONEY TO MAKE MONEY.

Oh by the way, it also takes credit to get credit. Even if a 18yr old landed a nice job out of HS, they would not be able to find anything decent to live in without a co-signer.

--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

whoaru99

reply to cork1958
Youngster? Well, perhaps. I guess that's relative.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to whoaru99
said by whoaru99:

Guess that's the way most things work though...ketchup costs more per ounce in a small bottle too.

Total price paid for a big bottle is more than a small bottle. If you're not going to use that extra ketchup why pay for it?
--
It's not really power unless you abuse it.

whoaru99

Sure, I get that, but that wasn't the point of that statement.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to whoaru99
said by whoaru99:

Which ISP sells Internet service "by the Byte"? I've had AT&T and Sonic.net; both charge a flat monthly fee. So do Charter and Comcast, and all of the rest that I know of. Until ISPs start charging "by the Byte", cost per Mbps comparisons are pointless.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

whoaru99

1 edit
All my ketchup gets used so why would I pay more per serving by buying it in small bottles, so to speak?

It may not matter to you and it may not be the point if you can't afford the big bottle, but to say it's pointless is untrue.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
said by whoaru99:

In your opinion, of course.

All my ketchup gets used so why would I pay more per serving by buying it in small bottles, so to speak?

Simple math.

Say a 12 oz bottle is $1.99 and a 32 oz is $3.49

The 12 oz is 16.5 cents per oz and the 32 oz is 10.9 cents per oz.

Save money by buying in bulk.

I'm always using the calculator in my phone to save money when grocery shopping. Sometimes the smaller package of something will be on sale while the larger one is not and the smaller package winds up costing less per oz with the sale price so I buy two of the smaller instead of one of the larger.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

whoaru99

1 edit

Sometimes the smaller package of something will be on sale while the larger one is not and the smaller package winds up costing less per oz with the sale price so I buy two of the smaller instead of one of the larger.

Of course. I just yesterday did that on a couple jars of peanut butter. In the example I used DSL was even more expensive "per ounce" on their promo than is Charter on their new standard pricing.

Comes down to price vs. cost. I understand that price may be the limiting factor in some cases, but cost is a consideration.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to whoaru99
said by whoaru99:

It may not matter to you and it may not be the point if you can't afford the big bottle, but to say it's pointless is untrue.

That is true for merchandise sold in incremental quantities. May I remind you that Internet is not sold that way? It does not matter if I use 10GB per month, or 100GB per month. It does not matter if my tier is 3Mbs or 30Mbs. My fee is a fixed amount per month, and the data used does not affect my bill. Until "Cap-and-overage" becomes the norm, anyway.

Therefore, since there is currently no model for "bulk data" for consumer Internet, comparison to products amenable to bulk sales is pointless.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to TheTechGuru
said by TheTechGuru:

Simple math.

Say a 12 oz bottle is $1.99 and a 32 oz is $3.49

The 12 oz is 16.5 cents per oz and the 32 oz is 10.9 cents per oz.

Save money by buying in bulk.

I'm always using the calculator in my phone to save money when grocery shopping. Sometimes the smaller package of something will be on sale while the larger one is not and the smaller package winds up costing less per oz with the sale price so I buy two of the smaller instead of one of the larger.

But I can't use up 32 oz before it goes rancid. All I am able to use is 12 oz. I throw out 20 oz of bulk priced rancid ketchup. That means I paid $3.49 for 12 oz of ketchup. If I'm not going to use all that ketchup (or bandwidth) buying the 12 oz bottle takes less money out of my wallet.
Ketchup isn't a good example. Substitute something more perishable.

Premium

But I can't use up 32 oz before it goes rancid. All I am able to use is 12 oz. I throw out 20 oz of bulk priced rancid ketchup. That means I paid $3.49 for 12 oz of ketchup. If I'm not going to use all that ketchup (or bandwidth) buying the 12 oz bottle takes less money out of my wallet.

Yep. Exactly.

Notice how the faulty "talking point" the PR people are desperate to use doesn't make logical sense, IF you are a typical consumer living in the "real economy". But see the top execs at most companies do not and have NO clue about family budgets. Their resources are limitless. MBAs & brass tack co. are completely out of touch.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
said by 15444104:

Yep. Exactly.

Notice how the faulty "talking point" the PR people are desperate to use doesn't make logical sense, IF you are a typical consumer living in the "real economy". But see the top execs at most companies do not and have NO clue about family budgets. Their resources are limitless. MBAs & brass tack co. are completely out of touch.

"Their resources are limitless. MBAs & brass tack co. are completely out of touch."

Those last 2 lines sounds just like that "other" pickel who's running for President!!

I try to covince my wife all the time about that ketchup scenario with the stuff she buys!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/