All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2 to AliceZ

to AliceZ

Re: [TWC] Service our in Queens, NY?

Hi Alice, found this statement from twc/hurricane sandy: "To Time Warner Cable customers affected by Hurricane Sandy
Time Warner Cable prepares well in advance when severe weather threatens our area. The safety of our employees and customers comes first. We have already deployed a variety of resources, such as: generators, fuel, fiber-optic cable and tools to strategic locations near the potential path of the storm, so we can respond when necessary. We have also sent recovery vehicles with food, water, supplies and tents for our technicians along the East Coast.

While we’re prepared to respond to the storm, there may be storm related power outages in your area and your TWC services may be affected. In severe weather situations, the first priority is to restore electric power. TWC crews may not be able to access a repair site because of downed electrical wires or other unsafe conditions. As a result, customers’ electricity is often restored before their cable services.
Cable, High Speed Internet and Phone
If you lose power, your TWC services will be affected until power is restored. Please contact your local power company to report a power outage. A list of local power companies is provided for your convenience."

Even though, thankfully, you have power and phone/internet connection, (with a different provider?), it's quite possible that an outage exists for your cable in an area not yet reachable for repair. Is this your only TV, with a box, I assume? And your tv has power separate from the box?

From watching the continual storm coverage, a huge fire was reported in Queens, covering several residences, and a man was killed by a tree. Mass flooding and millions without power, so assume your cable could be out for some time.

Satch
join:2009-11-25

1 edit

Satch

said by NightOwl2:

Hi Alice, found this statement from twc/hurricane sandy: "To Time Warner Cable customers affected by Hurricane Sandy
Time Warner Cable prepares well in advance when severe weather threatens our area. The safety of our employees and customers comes first. We have already deployed a variety of resources, such as: generators, fuel, fiber-optic cable and tools to strategic locations near the potential path of the storm, so we can respond when necessary. We have also sent recovery vehicles with food, water, supplies and tents for our technicians along the East Coast.

While we’re prepared to respond to the storm, there may be storm related power outages in your area and your TWC services may be affected. In severe weather situations, the first priority is to restore electric power. TWC crews may not be able to access a repair site because of downed electrical wires or other unsafe conditions. As a result, customers’ electricity is often restored before their cable services.
Cable, High Speed Internet and Phone
If you lose power, your TWC services will be affected until power is restored. Please contact your local power company to report a power outage. A list of local power companies is provided for your convenience."

Even though, thankfully, you have power and phone/internet connection, (with a different provider?), it's quite possible that an outage exists for your cable in an area not yet reachable for repair. Is this your only TV, with a box, I assume? And your tv has power separate from the box?

From watching the continual storm coverage, a huge fire was reported in Queens, covering several residences, and a man was killed by a tree. Mass flooding and millions without power, so assume your cable could be out for some time.

I heard it could take a week before all hurricane areas are repaired. First priority is finding any people who did not evacuate and check making sure they are safe. Some nodes/systems it is going to take quite a while to get them fully operational.

How badly was Queens, hit?

Satch

PS. Changed the above wording to "repaired" not "destroyed" sorry for any confusion.

AliceZ
join:2007-06-24
NYC

AliceZ

I am in an apartment building in Jackson Heights (close to Manhattan). Not that bad. Outer regions of Queens I heard have been hit quite badly.
Service has been out now 24 hours. Guess we will never know when the service will be "up and running" again.
But I don't know how we will know when the service has been restored.
NightOwl2
join:2012-03-19

NightOwl2

I'm not sure what number you are using, but 1-800-892-4357 (1-800-TWC-HELP) is posted on the TWCUntangled Blog regarding all customers in NY and NE area affected by Sandy.

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
·Frontier FiberOp..

Racerbob to AliceZ

Premium Member

to AliceZ
said by AliceZ:

But I don't know how we will know when the service has been restored.

If you turn your TV on and it works, then you will know service is restored.

When I look at some of the destruction in your part of the state and New Jersey, the last thing that I worry about is TV service. Up here in upstate, we lost cable TV and internet last night for a while. When I think about what some people are going through in the hard hit areas, I really didn't care too much about my loss of service.

AliceZ
join:2007-06-24
NYC

AliceZ to NightOwl2

to NightOwl2
Yes, that is the number I have been calling and continue to get the recorded message. Everyone in my building is reporting the same. As I said: Guess we will never know when the service will be "up and running" again. And I don't know how we will know when the service has been restored, other than to keep turning the Box/TV on.
(My orginal reason for posting this thread was (just) to make sure there was nothing wrong with my Box/TV. I thought other people in my area would post that they were having same problem.)

Elyria
join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH

Elyria to Racerbob

to Racerbob
quote:
If you turn your TV on and it works, then you will know service is restored.

There's one side [the cynical one] that's kinda thinking the outage
could possibly be 4-5 years for a certain building

bbchris2nd
Joke Factory
join:2010-09-03
Australia

bbchris2nd to AliceZ

to AliceZ
said by AliceZ:

Everyone in my building is reporting the same.

You have the answer now. There's nothing wrong with your Box/TV.