join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Nick D

Premium Member

to Nick D

Re: [Raiding] Good bye World of Warcraft

said by Nick D:

Replying to a random post in this thread-within-a-thread:

Are we disagreeing that the social contract is "you roll your spec"? Or are we saying screw the social contract?

If we disagreeing ... well, we have differing opinions. But I'd argue that years of LFD and LFR have shown us MS > OS is pretty standard.

If we're saying "screw the contract", that's fine. Just accept that others will view you as a jerk. Maybe that matters to you, because you're like me and you prefer to that random people think of you as a "nice guy".

Maybe you take a view that "it's WoW, 5 mans are srs biz, and when am I ever going to see these guys anyways?", which is reasonable, but it doesn't mean that someone else doesn't see you as a jerk. It's just that it doesn't affect you.

You could argue that Blizzard threw the social contract out the window with the impersonal LFD/LFR match-making tools. Zero social interaction required--you get thrown in with a bunch of strangers and anyone can roll need on anything any spec of their class can use.

You may have your own personal "LFD morals", but what are you going to do when the pally tank takes that dps or healer trinket because his need role beat yours? How well do those morals work in a real world of needy strangers?

The whole purpose of LFD is to gear up for LFR, most people accept that--even if it means bag-stacking offspec gear or rolling on your offspec.

Your social contract was broken back in Cata. If you had to manually put a group together, travel to the instance, summon everyone, then clear, you have a stronger argument for enforcing ML or MS>OS, but the new LFD just means free loot split between you and four randoms.

How nice or mean you are to four completely random strangers is up to you, but the Golden Rule rarely works well when epics are on the line.

Nick D
Premium Member
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

Nick D

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

You could argue that Blizzard threw the social contract out the window with the impersonal LFD/LFR match-making tools. Zero social interaction required--you get thrown in with a bunch of strangers and anyone can roll need on anything any spec of their class can use.

I mean, we're just in two boats here. I care more about what random strangers that I will never see again think of me than most do.

edit: clarified my position

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

The way I roll is, if I win an item but the other guy has far worse gear and that one item is a huge upgrade but debatable upgrade or just minor I'll trade it to them.

happened in DS, heroic moss shoulders dropped, I didn't really want to lose my set bonus and the other mage had some crappy shoulders, so I gave them the item.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

The way I roll is, if I win an item but the other guy has far worse gear and that one item is a huge upgrade but debatable upgrade or just minor I'll trade it to them.

happened in DS, heroic moss shoulders dropped, I didn't really want to lose my set bonus and the other mage had some crappy shoulders, so I gave them the item.

I've done that in the past and when I run with the guild I will always pass gear to lower geared members even if its an upgrade for me.
That is the social interaction that you see, now the new LFR broke that rule too.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

cymraeg to Nick D

Premium Member

to Nick D
care about them? they chose what spec class and role they wanted to do, at what point should i start to help them, should i be standing behind them helping them play as well, it is already painfully easy to get gear in this game, so they may have to run a dungeon a few more times or ffs make their own group and interact with guildmates or ppl on their realm to get it, but don't make it seem as if your altruism is akin to saintly duties.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Jobbie

Premium Member

to Jobbie
Ya, LFR broke that, I'd even trade gear in LFR, because I felt the other guy needed it more.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

Ya, LFR broke that, I'd even trade gear in LFR, because I felt the other guy needed it more.

But that's your prerogative, because you won the roll.