how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mbruno

join:2003-07-03
Fruitland, MD

[H/W] VOIP Setup

Greetings all, I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on where to start looking to build a home lab for the CCNA Voice. I already have several pieces of equipment in my current lab setup I used for passing my CCNA certification. To date I have the following setup at home:

2611XM (1)
2620XM (2)
2651XM (2)
2950 (3)
3550 POE (1)

It goes without saying that I would need at least two IP phones, I was thinking SIP phones with one one line display and the other one a two line display. I have the 3550 switch which would provide the Power to the phones. But as far as the router that holds the FX cards I am not sure about. I can download CME from Cisco which I have an account for. I would like some help from the community to point which routers I would need for this so that it is cost effective for a home lab.

I have seen voice gateways like the Cisco VG248 or the AS53-48-CH but I don't know if it would be better to buy a router and add the modules to it. I would like to be as realistic as possible without breaking the bank.

Thanks in Advance.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9

1 edit
NM-1V/2V modules are pretty cheap on eBay, as are the FXO/FXS VICs. The CME download is just a bunch of web interface files; I've never found them even remotely useful -- everything you need to do will be from the IOS config line anyway. Make sure you have a voice enabled IOS on the router and you're ready to start. You'll need much newer gear to run a modern CME version, but CME 4.0/4.1 will get you started.

You'll want a mix of Skinny (SCCP) and SIP phones to learn everything. Cisco's Call Manager still uses SCCP, and it's a lot easier to setup. If you want a 7905 -- single line, no display, send me a PM; I think I have 3 of them. (edit: correction... 7902 and I have 2)

[I switched to SIP only to reduce the number of phones on my desk. Work phone is SIP already, so I programmed extra buttons to my home CME setup.]

mbruno

join:2003-07-03
Fruitland, MD
reply to mbruno
So are you saying use a 2600XM router for this?

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
Of the 5 things you listed, those are the only ones that can. If you're buying something, a 3825 would be in the low cost range. (plus a PVDM2, and VICs) Technically, it's EOL, but software maint. runs into 2014.

DocLarge
Premium
join:2004-09-08
kudos:1
reply to mbruno
I've actually gotten started on the voice track myself, but I'm in apartment and not able to "rack out" like I'd intended. :-(

However, irregardless of what some may say, GNS3 comes through in the clutch!!!" Due to lack of space, I'm running GNS3 on an "ASUS" box (16GBs mem/X6 processor) with 3745 CME image, and the cisco ip communicator. Again, it be good to have the actual hardware, but I think what I have should suffice for the CCNA voice portion...

Let me know how your studies go; I'm pretty much starting out at the beginning myself

jay