spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sooverthis

@qwest.net

[Qwest] Search Redirect to Centurylink with Firefox

Hi Everyone,

While using duckduckgo search engine (new to me today) I was redirected to webhelper.centurylink.com. Freaked me out as this is a clean install of Vista x64. I considered it a hijack and wondered why it was not stopped by NoScript or other FF add-ons.

I found two posts on here from 2010 and 2011 concerning this redirect and it seems like at the time it was only happening with IE users:

»[Qwest] Opting out of CenturyLink Web Helper hijacking not worki

»[CenturyTel] https hijack and redirect to webhelper.centurylink.

I have searched my registry as recommended and nothing was found.

I have stopped this obnoxious thing from happening by adding webhelper.centurylink.com to both my HOSTS file and to my NoScript blacklist.

As those posts also mention changing the IP to a Qwest IP from the new Centurylink IP. I have no idea how to do that. I am familiar with the modem setup page (Motorola 3347). I'm experiencing connection problems and disconnects as well.

Can anyone tell me how or point me to directions to change the IP?

Thanks!

Hazy Arc

join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC
It is DNS-based redirection. You will need to change your DNS servers to something other than Centurylink's. OpenDNS and Google DNS are good choices.

colorbars

join:2003-03-20
USA
reply to sooverthis
Hazy Arc is absolutely correct. Running your own server is another good possibility, but only if you're technically inclined. From your post I would guess that isn't for you.

You want to go to your network settings in Vista and look for something that allows you to put in an internet IP address (like 8.8.8.8 for Google's DNS). This might help:
»windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind···settings

sooverthis

@qwest.net
"Hazy Arc is absolutely correct. Running your own server is another good possibility, but only if you're technically inclined. From your post I would guess that isn't for you."

Thanks so much Hazy Arc and colorbars! Will do.

colorbars, I found the quoted above very funny. You've made my day and it's not even 6am. I am quite technically inclined and very familiar with all this and more. After I posted what I did I thought "DUH!" a

I shouldn't try to think anymore and I shouldn't ask dopey questions after 8+ hours of a fresh Vista install that included 2 SPs, 126+ security updates, drivers, driver updates, etc. You all know the drill. If this doesn't get me to run a LINUX box perhaps nothing will.

I appreciate the help from you both very much! Thanks again