Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..

3 edits

[HSI] Slow http request/NO upload/packet loss/timeouts/blackiste

anyone else in the Middle TN area having these issues? Tech support is cluess about the NO UPLOAD, and is now blaming the issues on my "blacklisted" modem.

Here's the issues: Pages take FOREVER to load. You can go to charter.net to check email, it takes 45 seconds for the page to display. When you go to a page that requests a password (upload), the page stalls and times out. When you go to a speedtest (whether on the charter page, speedtest.net, testmy.net, or any other speedtest site), THERE IS NO UPLOAD, it stalls, and times out on ANY UPLOAD.

So, tech support goes thru the regular support options of resetting, rebooting, reprovisioning. I have reset the modem back to factory defaults, I have set my computer back to a factory preload, and I have reset my Netgear router back to defaults. they try deleting all the previous IP addresses in your system i've had before, and I keep getting them back. the problems still persisted yesterday after I spoke with the third tech. Afterwards, I reset all the equipment again, and I tested with modem direct to pc, and then thru the router. Pages were flying, upload was at 3mpbs, and had no problems on websites such as banking... This was about 7-10pm. I figured it was just some issues on your end to start with (otherwise, it would have stayed the same old sluggish browsing and no upload). the system worked perfect for about 3 hours (until i went to bed).

Back up this morning, I'm back with the same old 24.151.202.189
ip address AGAIN (how did it get this back). Also, sometimes back in the 71.88.182.21 range. The SAME OLD problems are BACK AGAIN. So, I have ruled OUT my modem, my router, and my computer, because these were working GREAT last night.

ALSO, there are lots of "time out's" when doing a continious ping to a site like google, facebook, or any other site. There will be 3-4 responses from the ping, then 2 time-outs back to back (now take it that this WAS NOT happening last night from 7-10pm after I reset everthing).... The timeouts might equate to packet loss because there was about a 15% packet loss).

So, I call back today(this morning) for more troubleshooting (I mean..what ELSE can you do from a call center position)....guy tells me I have a blacklisted modem????WHAT??? and that this modem will continue to have problems on the network because its not supported. Wait a sec! Three neighbors on this same street HAVE THIS SAME MODEM...For 4 months, this modem worked flawlessly on your network (after I renewed my contract). These were the modems that Charter supplied to everyone (although I bought my own).. The last tech said it was a "hit or miss" with these modems. they might work for months, then they might have issues (obviously, there is NOTHING wrong with the modem since its worked for 4 months perfect, and did last night for 3-4 hours). Just that Charter's network doesn't "like" the modem any more? Why wasn't I told this modem wasn't going to be supported when I signed a new two year contract????? He states because the modem is not a docsis 3 modem, it might becausing the issues. But WHY now (again, its been working for 4 months perfect)... Resetting, reprov'ing it helps for a short while, but its back to erractic for after a while. What's causing the high packet loss all of the sudden (but only at certain times).

This timeout, lagging in pages, and NO upload (tech's have never been able to explain the no upload thing) is making this internet connection unstable and unusable!! I can't go onto banking pages and complete anything, it times out. I can upload because there isn't any upload. Speedtests will show the regular speed of about 14-15mbps download (when it doesn't stall). I can't continue to use Charter internet this way folks.

Your last tech told me I would have to "upgrade" to a docsis 3 modem so I would be able to "keep up with the faster speed of the new system". Ok, that's fine, i don't have a problem upgrading to your new CISCO DOC 3 modem. However, the tech said I would have to pay $7 for a modem rental. I only renewed my contract because I got the $XX.XX rate for another two years on the 15mbps speed, and used my own modem (to save a modem rental). wasn't told anything about this modem not continuing to work)......So, that way I see it, If I have to change my modem for one that WILL WORK on this network, you should supply the modem because I am still in a contract with you... I should not have to pay $7 for a doc 3 modem to use your service. My current modem worked fine up until about 3 days ago (and don't dare blame it on the modem---blame it on your network not supporting it). I did ask my next door neighbor and she's having the issues, same modem. so, TWO modem's aren't defective, its the charter network.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

Re: [HSI] Slow http request/NO upload/packet loss/timeouts/black

It seems you are a marked man. From what you said it looks like you are being put on a bad network for D2 modems and it is overloaded on the upload side.

If you change your IP by forcing a MAC address change in the Router or by removing the router then you get an IP that works normal until you get changed back to the bad IP (blacklisted) you listed above.

Your option is to get a D3 modem and change it out yourself, this should stop the issue, unless this is about getting you off the cheap 2 year plan your on.
You should be able to find a cheap D3 modem on E-bay or just buy one new at the store.

I know it sucks you have to make this change but you have 1.5 years left on your deal, otherwise it will cast you $50 month for HSI and if you have other services that may be more also.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..

With the router its always 24.151.202.xxx

just the modem itself its always 71.88.182.xxx

It was on 71.188 last night when it was working great (with the router). But I booted the modem up (after a reset), and didn't pulg it into the router until it already had teh 71.188 ip.

Right now its on a 24.151.111.xxx ip.

Weird how the problem only seem corrected last night about 4 hours, then back this morning it was back to crap. I never turned the pc, router or modem off after it was working good.

Another user on here that lives in Tullahoma, TN is having the same issues. that's about 45mins-1 hr away.

He's using a SB6120 Moto modem.....He said it only started Sunday as well.

said by mmainprize:

It seems you are a marked man. From what you said it looks like you are being put on a bad network for D2 modems and it is overloaded on the upload side.

If you change your IP by forcing a MAC address change in the Router or by removing the router then you get an IP that works normal until you get changed back to the bad IP (blacklisted) you listed above.

Your option is to get a D3 modem and change it out yourself, this should stop the issue, unless this is about getting you off the cheap 2 year plan your on.
You should be able to find a cheap D3 modem on E-bay or just buy one new at the store.

I know it sucks you have to make this change but you have 1.5 years left on your deal, otherwise it will cast you $50 month for HSI and if you have other services that may be more also.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to compuguybna

ACTUALLY, I was always on the 24.151.202.189 ip address when i had 30/4 service and I was using a UBEE D3 modem. Charter deleted that IP out of their database, and I have never reclaimed that specific one again.

So not sure that IP address is "BAD" of anything like that, but Charter tech's disputed me when said I had that IP address for as long as I had 30/4 and the ubee (which was almost 2 years).

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

I understand, i keep the same IP for years also, lately i have had to change the IP every now and then to get good service again as the IP i had seems to be running slow because of network changes or something.

I was thinking that is what happened to you, it was good when you had the new IP, but i guess you have ruled that out also it seems.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to compuguybna

I took my sisters old SB5101U and placed it on my account thru install.charter.com.

i'm getting about 5mbps down and 246kbps UP. even worse now.. Called them again, reprovisioned. and they guy had the nerve to blame the speed degradation on my voip.

i've had voip for 2.5 years, and its never bogged down my internet. I think charters look for excuses without really looking into any other issues (perhaps same problems in same area).

By the way, I'm on a 71.88.188.xxx IP now. I'm using a plain ole wired router.

Ip originating from Kingsport, TN

mmainprize

Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to compuguybna

It sounds like you have an issue with HSI in your area, it might be time to get a tech out to the house or get Charter Direct involved. Maybe they can find out what happened back on Sunday when it all changed.
Lets see if any other user in your area report HSI issues.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..

just the guy in Tullahoma, TN, who's having the same issues.
He's got a tech coming out as well.

I rebooted again, and everything seems to normal***same as it was last night from 7-10:30****.

Why would the service go to crap during the day until 7pm?

download around 11 and upload around 2.5 No lags.

We'll see if its crap tomorrow. that will only add to the troubleshooting!

»speedtest.ookla.com/result/1860212331.png

said by mmainprize:

It sounds like you have an issue with HSI in your area, it might be time to get a tech out to the house or get Charter Direct involved. Maybe they can find out what happened back on Sunday when it all changed.
Lets see if any other user in your area report HSI issues.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to compuguybna

Click for full size
Nope, gone back to its same ole slow ass speed and crappy upload. Was fine for about an hour....

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
reply to compuguybna

supposed to be getting a DOC 3 modem from Charter Monday after a tech visits for issues at the pole.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to compuguybna

Click for full size
15 down, 3 up package
Still crap.

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17
reply to compuguybna

So, is you modem actually blacklisted, or are you just using that term loosely because its not working?

Charter blacklisted my GFs old modem and, from memory, similar problems with very slow speed. Hers was a rental though and a replacement fixed it right up.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to compuguybna

I have about 7 calls to charter tech about the issues.

Not until the 5th calll did the charter tech start ragging on the "blackllisted modem" thing. It was more likely an excuse to try to explain the "unexplainable" issues I've been having.

One of the guys in the Direct forum said the modem was still supported. (at least 3 other neighbors have the same modem, and its the modem charter supplied them)....

This modem is definately showing some effects of being "blacklisted"......Slowed speeds namely.. Charter tech said I would NEVER receive about 15mbps on this modem (although its capable of higher), and that if I was getting 10mbps down and 1.5 up, that was within Charter specs, and I might as well stop calling about issues as long as I was using this modem.

Seems simply a ploy to get me to upgrade to their modem. I get it in away, its the modem they are currently supporting on their network, maybe its easier to troubleshoot.

but my Moto SB5101U was working perfectly until the laggy speeds, and packet loss started. matter of fact, I was getting nearly 20mbps on the charter speed test, and 3.2 up.

Charter said they wiped the database for my account (including IP history, etc etc), and re-provisioned the modem, but the speeds have been crap since then too.

11/4 I'm not having any packet loss, but then again, I'm only at 5mbps or so.

No explanation has been provided for the modem working fine for 4 months, then going to crap (and as a test, I got my sister's same ole modem ((she upgraded to the 30/4)), and it acts the same way, so, they seem to truly have put limits on this series of modems.)

We'll see tomorrow if a NEW CISCO SUPPORTED modem corrects the issues.....

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to compuguybna

Click for full size
Tech was out today. replaced the old moto modem with a Cisco D3 modem.

Cable from the pole to the electric pole in the yard was not replaced by the tech who installed our internet in the first place (the previous owner of the house must have had charter).
Cable was in bad shape. Today's tech runs an entire new wire from pole to house ***NO SPLICES***.

Tech did state the line was a "little hot" for internet alone, but perfect for tv. (think he said 67 in reference to something).

we're going ahead and getting phone as well, so todays' tech said when they installed a splitter, it would bring the "hotness" down a bit.

Also, where the line from charter comes from the underground up the pole and down out street is where my tap originates. An electrical transformer is sitting right on top of the tap, possibly creating some noise. Tech called construction, and they're gonna get AT&T to lower their line a bit where Charter's can be moved below the transformer.

So, looks like there were some issues besides the "blacklisted" modem.

Much better speeds today!

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to compuguybna

Click for full size
Do these signal levels look optimal? Performing good so far....

megarock

join:2001-06-28
Catawissa, MO
Reviews:
·Charter

They are within spec but the closer to 0dbmv the better. If I recall correctly 12.8+ or - are the limits on power level. Here is a snap of mine which is about as spot on as you can get.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to compuguybna

Yeah, the tech said the line was a little "hot", probably meaning the power levels were a bit high, but after the phone is installed, they will probably go down since it will be split he said.
Much better than its been being. The Cisco modem seens solid so far.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to compuguybna

Click for full size
WOW!
Went to the new plan with internet and phone, new modem, new wiring. Things are much better. Look at the speeds now!
Thanks Charter for all the help!

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to compuguybna

Click for full size
Hopefully, everything stays this way. getting PHONE installed, hope that doesn't mess it up.

kmg90

join:2002-08-25
Shawano, WI

Whats the speed of the new plan? Are you still on the 30/4 plan?

Also do you use Internet Explorer 8 to browse the web? You should upgrade 9 or switch a more modern browser.... since IE8 is two years old at this point. »whatbrowser.org/ I prefer and suggest Firefox or Chrome (keep in mind Google tracks a few things by default in chrome)

But I bet you have your reasons since I just noticed your user name and read more of the thread.

compuguybna

Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..

Yeah, still on IE8. I tried IE9, a little clumsy with the different layout with the toolbar icons, and I didn't like how it didn't keep the history of the websites I'd visited....

Might try it again... Yeah, I am on the 30/4 plan with the Cisco D3 modem.

some suggested that "powerboost" didn't exist any longer, but it would have to because its in the short burst of the rest.
I like doing a longer sustained test such as a .exe download of a program, or a video stream test on vudu.

said by kmg90:

Whats the speed of the new plan? Are you still on the 30/4 plan?

Also do you use Internet Explorer 8 to browse the web? You should upgrade 9 or switch a more modern browser.... since IE8 is two years old at this point. »whatbrowser.org/ I prefer and suggest Firefox or Chrome (keep in mind Google tracks a few things by default in chrome)

But I bet you have your reasons since I just noticed your user name and read more of the thread.

kmg90

join:2002-08-25
Shawano, WI

Powerboost exists, the only problem is customers who are on congested nodes will not see powerboost since powerboost doesn't magically bypass constraints of a (congested) node/CMTS.

Which leads to people assuming its no longer "enabled"

If you don't see speed spikes at the beginning of downloading files that gradually decreases until its in the range of your tier, you are on a congested node/CMTS.

Also: if you want to be absoulutely sure your connection is almost 100% problem free run this »netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

elliotm01

join:2010-03-09
reply to compuguybna

I've been experiencing the same trouble intermittently since last Sunday evening (11/4). Saturday, one of our TVs was removed, leaving one TV and one cable modem on the line.
Running a DOCSIS 2 Scientific Atlanta WebSTAR DPC2100R2 modem.

Haven't noted the IP address change whenever I have the issue. Have tried checking all hardware connections, resetting modem, resetting router, and speeds on multiple machines. Thought I finally resolved it, but it has returned, this evening. :/

Haven't spoken with anyone at tech support about it, yet.