share rss forum feed

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to disconnected

Re: GenTent portable generator cover

said by disconnected :

I built a concrete blockhouse/bunker for my genset.

Pics? I might want to build something like that.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

use legos

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to shdesigns

said by shdesigns:

I'd build a lean-to on the side of the house. Use latticework on the sides with black ground felt or screen for ventilation. Then some simple barn doors.

Probably cost you about the same.

On my portable, I just laid a sheet of plywood on top of it that hung out about 12" on each side.

I am afraid of keeping it right up against the house. I had it next to the house and my basement CO detector went off. So I placed it 20 feet away and used my ghetto garbage bag cover and it worked.

Genny was dry as a bone when power came back on and I rolled it back in.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
join:2006-01-11
not Sweden

2 recommendations

reply to SwedishRider

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Well, after a lengthy wait on backorder, my GenTent finally arrived and took all of 10 minutes to assemble. It's pretty sweet, and fits over my #8 SOOW generator cord with no problems. It has a really good fit and finish, and has a quality feel with the materials used and assembled canopy. But as usual.. since I'm prepared, I've again guaranteed that I won't lose power.

I attached some pics. I've yet to use it obviously, but for all I've seen both on YouTube and up close, it seems to do what it claims to do. Check it out: »www.gentent.com/

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
reply to SwedishRider

This.

»www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-13···/8143892

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

I thought about going the Rubbermaid bin route, but it comes with some drawbacks (doesn't everything!). Hurricane Sandy put forth the possibility of a longer duration event with wet weather that would make using a portable generator in the rain and wind dangerous (and making the generator useless until the weather clears). Prior to Sandy, I wouldn't have thought about needing power when the weather was still wet, but there I was with the event over and the rainy weather hanging on for quite some time.

The Rubbermaid-style bin would be great for outdoor storage, but would still need to be opened to run the generator safely (without additional mods to the bin), and that would not allow for wet, windy weather usage with the bin open. And it also defeats the portability of the solution, which is partly why some choose portables for both home and road setups.

The GenTent keeps the portability of the generator, and keeps rain off the unit to allow safe operation. It's rated for use up to 60 mph winds (and has been used in winds up to 90 mph during Sandy). Who knows when I'll get to use it, but the videos show it's capabilities pretty well:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8EFMtpAwug

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK4ztlMKNMM

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=snVoNGrjGow

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to SwedishRider

A simple solution to keep your generator's head dry.

But you know my previous stance on spending that sort of money

Kramer
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

1 recommendation

reply to SwedishRider

My wife came up an idea just before Sandy missed us. I was trying to come up with something and she asked me why I didn't just use the two saw horses in the back yard that have 3- 2x12s spread between them. I got thinking about it and it was a near perfect solution with a piece of plywood added. The saw horses are steel and substantial. Simply put a piece of plywood between the sawhorses with a slight slope, lay the 2x12s on top of it and call it a day. The saw horses are probably 1 foot higher then the generator tank. A really heavy gust might topple the whole thing, but the weight of the 2x12s would most likely keep it very stable. I have a few solidified 80 pound bags of cement I could use to hold it down too. Thankfully this was one storm we happened to escape.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

said by Kramer:

My wife came up an idea just before Sandy missed us. I was trying to come up with something and she asked me why I didn't just use the two saw horses in the back yard that have 3- 2x12s spread between them. I got thinking about it and it was a near perfect solution with a piece of plywood added. The saw horses are steel and substantial. Simply put a piece of plywood between the sawhorses with a slight slope, lay the 2x12s on top of it and call it a day. The saw horses are probably 1 foot higher then the generator tank. A really heavy gust might topple the whole thing, but the weight of the 2x12s would most likely keep it very stable. I have a few solidified 80 pound bags of cement I could use to hold it down too. Thankfully this was one storm we happened to escape.

I rigged up something similar before Sandy. I used a number of 2x4x10 boards to span a part of my deck and then attached 2 sheets of plywood over that, and then bungee'd a tarp over the plywood to keep everything dry.. and it was worthless. The rain was a light mist that was blowing sideways... it was just not safe to run the generator in that kind of weather. That's why I bought the GenTent.

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA

I see so many openings with the Gen Tent, I am not sure how it is doing much better.

I have a huge shed with two big barn doors that can act as shields. I was considering nailing a piece of plywood between the doors on top of them. That's when the wife suggested the saw horses. Only one side would be exposed and it faces dead east. I can put the generator all the way in the shed and only need to protect the front of it from driving rain. I'm glad I missed Sandy. She lasted a lot longer then the typical hurricanes we see around here. I've been through a number of them and by the time I am willing to drag out the generator, run the extension cords and worry about food going bad, the worst part is usually more than over.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

said by Kramer:

I see so many openings with the Gen Tent, I am not sure how it is doing much better.

The GenTent covers the electrical outlets, which is the critical part of the generator that can't get wet. Then engine actually can get wet and not post a hazard. Here's the demo video:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvTOqNStbrY

Kramer
Premium,Mod
Richmond, VA

You bring up a good point. I should really point my outlets in to the shed, rather then pointing them out at the weather. I really don't want my air filter getting wet or that would make for an unhappy powerless rainy day. That sucker can pull some air through it and anything that happens to be floating around in it. Does the cover protect that? I can see the value of the cover if you are hauling your generator from site to site, but $200 is a lot of money to spend for a static location.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to SwedishRider

Hey JimCT, PLEASE stop posting pictures of your clean and shiny generator. It has all of us very embarrassed. It is too clean and well kept, at least compared to mine which has dust, some oil stains, a few spider webs and insects on the frame. LOL

Seriously, nice setup with the propane connection.

Tim
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

SwedishRider
Rider on the Storm
Premium
not Sweden

said by pende_tim:

Hey JimCT, PLEASE stop posting pictures of your clean and shiny generator. It has all of us very embarrassed. It is too clean and well kept, at least compared to mine which has dust, some oil stains, a few spider webs and insects on the frame. LOL

Seriously, nice setup with the propane connection.

Tim

Okay... I'll try to refrain until I've used it in a rainstorm and it's all dirty and gross..

Seriously though, I like to keep my stuff in great shape and working condition. The propane hookup is pretty awesome... but after all this to set this system up, I still have yet to use it for anything more than testing. During Sandy, my lights flickered twice and that was it.. I guess that could be viewed as both good and bad, but given the unfortunate situation of many... I am very grateful I didn't have to use it.

Imagyne

join:2000-10-01
Ledyard, CT
reply to Kramer

This exactly what I did during sandy, worked like a charm!