join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to cdru

Premium Member

to cdru

Re: Holmes Fan Forum closed !?!

said by cdru:

said by Jundee80:

None of the speculations that have been offered so far justify the abrupt closure of the forum without any explanation whatever.

It's a private forum ran by a private company. They don't have to offer any justification or explanation. It's their prerogative.

Whether they posted there or not, it still cost money to operate the server. If they don't make money off of it, and it costs money, that means it loses money. It's not rocket science in today's economy that if you aren't making money at something (either directly or indirectly), then you probably shouldn't be doing it.

If there is such a huge need for such a forum, set one up. If Holmes Group post as little as you say and have such a non-presence, then you should be just as successful as the old forum were. Bellyaching about it in another forum isn't going to get you the answers that you want.

+1 I was thinking the same thing

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

I don't think anyone is complaining about the forum being shut down - my personal complaint, and I believe others feel the same, is HOW it was handled...

A little notice, and an explanation, could have maintained some good will, rather then just pulling the plug, and leaving everyone to wonder what happened...

At the end of the day, you're both absolutely right - they have every right to shut it down; the users, however, also have the right to dislike the way it was handled... That's where I'm at, myself.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

1 edit

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by LazMan:

I don't think anyone is complaining about the forum being shut down - my personal complaint, and I believe others feel the same, is HOW it was handled...

A little notice, and an explanation, could have maintained some good will, rather then just pulling the plug, and leaving everyone to wonder what happened...

At the end of the day, you're both absolutely right - they have every right to shut it down; the users, however, also have the right to dislike the way it was handled... That's where I'm at, myself.

I sympathize with your frustration but is here the correct venue to "Let it out"? Just asking. I always considered Holmes as arrogant and overbearing.
Expand your moderator at work

Pabs
@gc.ca

Pabs to Jack_in_VA

Anon

to Jack_in_VA

yes they have the right to do this...the government also has the right to take my land away to build a highway on it and pay me what it deems fair... just because they have the right to do something doesn't mean they should and that we should like it

I've been to many reno forums over the years but always went back to that one for solid and prompt info on the many projects I've worked on...that's the resource I'm sad is gone...the group of people that made up that forum.
I know that Mike Holmes wasn't replying to anything on there...and didn't care..wasn't really about him anyway

Pabs
Jundee80
join:2012-11-06
Canada

Jundee80 to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
The Fan Forum created revenue indirectly from members buying books, DVD's & other merchandise. They attended his appearances & viewed his shows. (A larger TV audience generates higher advertising revenue.) Any forum costs should viewed as advertising and/or promotion for the Holmes brand.

When Mike travels for shows, appearances, book signings, etc., there is a cost involved for travel, hotels, etc., all of which is part of promoting & advertising the brand.
Jundee80

Jundee80 to LazMan

to LazMan
Exactly how I feel.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

1 recommendation

dolphins to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
To those former members of the Holmes Fan forum, I welcome you. I'm sure some of you will be a very helpful addition to our forums. I understand the need to have a voice and to express yourself. Take all the time you need to sort things out.

To those of whom have taken it upon themselves to moderate this thread. Move along, no one wants to hear your opinions but yourselves.

NeTwOrKDawg
Networking is a lifestyle
join:2005-04-25
Brantford, ON

1 edit

NeTwOrKDawg to LazMan

to LazMan
This is sad.. I was also a member there, and even had the pleasure of meeting Jundee in person, when he gave me a Holmes dog tag for my son several years ago in Mississauga.

Mike Holmes daughter even arranged for autographs for my son thanks for the forum.

I went to go back and visit the forums as I was not very regular there, and found it closed..
Jundee80
Canada

Jundee80

I remember. You were working in that office building with the impressive indoor garden.

Your son must have grown some by now.

Nice to hear from you after all these years.

Jundee
cjski
The Wheel Weaves As The Wheel Will
Premium Member
join:2001-01-04
Sun City, CA

1 recommendation

cjski to dolphins

Premium Member

to dolphins
said by dolphins:

To those of whom have taken it upon themselves to moderate this thread. Move along, no one wants to hear your opinions but yourselves.

This^
Goofy1
join:2012-12-06
Ste Rose Du Lac, MB

Goofy1 to Jundee80

to Jundee80
I am shocked as well the forum is shut down. Was fun going there on giving tips,also I needed some as well. Too bad, I needed to ask a question yesterday and thats how I found out it is closed. Jundee80 I remember you, you shut down a couple of my posts because of Ameripro and I getting into some heated discussions. Thanks for doing that, sometimes things go a little far. As for a forum, couldn't we make our own forum and call it Contractors Corner, or some where on the lines?

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

You are welcome to post here.
rich3236
join:2006-08-22
Fort Lauderdale, FL

rich3236

who cares ? his forum wont be missed

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan

Premium Member

said by rich3236:

Well, there's about 3 pages of posts here, and a good number on his Facebook that disagree...

I'm not a particular fan of his - but the forum had a lot of good activity, and collective knowledge available...

Anyways...

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

1 recommendation

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by LazMan:

said by rich3236:

Well, there's about 3 pages of posts here, and a good number on his Facebook that disagree...

I'm not a particular fan of his - but the forum had a lot of good activity, and collective knowledge available...

Anyways...

3 pages from maybe 5 core posters. The forum is closed and gone.

Here on the "Home Improvement" thread would be a good place for those folks to post.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

1 recommendation

Cho Baka to rich3236

MVM

to rich3236
said by rich3236:

Neither would responses like yours.
Expand your moderator at work

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan

Jundee80 See Profile check your IM messages..
Jundee80
Canada

Jundee80 to Goofy1

to Goofy1
I'm glad you didn't hold a grudge, Goofy1. When things got to heated, sometimes we had to step in. Just part of a Mod's job.
The first thing you learn as a Mod is that you'll never please everybody. Since we had a private message feature, I always thought that people should argue their differences that way.

If I were younger, I would start a new forum. But I don't know how much time I have left & doing this job for 9 years meant neglecting a lot of other things I used to do.
Goofy1
join:2012-12-06
Ste Rose Du Lac, MB

Goofy1

Well you did a great job on the forum, hope you will be kicking around for a while yet. I am thinking of starting a forum,looks to alot of work but I am going to look into it. I have been looking at other forum sites pertaining to building and they just don't feel the same, like that home feeling. Holmes was well set up! As for the other people say it won't be missed, people have their opinions. It was a great place to learn, ask questions or even give you thoughts on how things should be done. As a contractor myself, I gave a few tips, hell even I needed some tips on some problems. I miss the forum, it was a great place to hang around. I will look into starting up a forum. Have a great one people