how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Nick D
Premium
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

[Raiding] Heart of Fear (or Entomology: A Love Affair)

Starting this as a placeholder thread, but I'll kick it off with a question/asking for feedback:

Guild's 4/6 normal MSV, 3 hour sessions two days a week.

Farm first 4 in MSV, then spend the rest of the night on Elegon, or just try out the first dudes in HoF first?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8

My vote goes for trying out first dudes in HoF. Hopefully it's a gear check that motivates/inspires your raid to really push to clear MSV.

Nick D
Premium
Orange, CA

The first guy looks to be an execution check ... apparently the raid has to play Galaga, then kill MC'd folks, then hang out in shields.

Then all 3 at once.

As Earthworm Jim/Ash once said, "Groovy".

2nd guy is a test of your ability to spread and group effectively, while dodging tornados. Or as I like to call it, "why are we still dying to Maddening Shout?"

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA

said by Nick D:

As Earthworm Jim/Ash once said, "Groovy".

awesome... good memories.

Hoombaba

@child-controls.com
reply to Nick D

In your shoes, it depends how long you've been trying Elegon. If it's a bit of a roadblock, I would move over to HoF, maybe something about your makeup or player's individual strengths will be better suited to that fight - and if it works out, you get a couple higher ilvl drops that will help you go back and bust a move on Elegon. Elsewise at least you get a change in scenery.

OTOH if you just started on Elegon I would probably stay with it - I try not to have my raiders learning too many new fights at once. Tho considering you are 4/6 your team is most likely less flaky than mine. Good luck!

Nick D
Premium
Orange, CA

We've done a fair bit on Elegon, but I'm not calling him a roadblock yet. Maybe 25 pulls. And we have a very consistent, well structured raid team, so not overly concerned about the learning bit.

I have no idea how close we actually are, since I keep calling wipes when we fail at benchmarks, but it doesn't seem HOPELESS, since we DO hit the benchmarks fairly consistently (2 protectors, 4 waves, 3 protectors). Had some little add fails that we're still addressing.

That said, I'm waiting for the burn phase to utterly destroy us since that is not very practiced at all.

Traditionally our raid is much better at mechanics than numbers. We're pretty good about not standing in fire, but not so much at DPS checks.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
reply to Nick D

Okay, I thought I'd share the IcyVeins guide I clipped for the first boss. Let's make this thread happen.

said by IcyVeins Guide :

Imperial Vizier Zor'lok Detailed Strategy Guide
Last updated by Vlad, on 31 Oct. 2012

This guide is intended to provide a comprehensive description of the encounter with Imperial Vizier Zor'lok in Heart of Fear. It is targeted to anyone
who desires to understand the fight mechanics.

This guide is updated for World of Warcraft MoP 5.0.5.

Imperial Vizier Zor'lok is the first boss encounter in the Heart of Fear.
This is a two-phase fight, which will mainly serve to test your raid members'
ability to perform movement-based tasks. The second phase of the encounter
is of greater complexity than the first, and this is where the main
difficulties will arise.

Overview of the Fight

The encounter against Imperial Vizier Zor'lok (henceforth referred to simply as Zor'lok) is a two-phase fight.

•During Phase One, the raid will have to fight Zor'lok on the three elevated platforms around the room. He will always go to all three platforms (flying to a new platform every time you remove 20% of his life), but the order in which he does so is random. On each platform, Zor'lok will use an extra ability specific to that platform. Also, at ground level, the room will be filled with Pheromones of Zeal, a damaging/silencing gas that the raid will have to traverse when following Zor'lok to a new platform.

•When Zor'lok's health reaches 40%, he enters Phase Two. He will fly to the center of the room, absorb all the gas to buff his damage, and pull everyone to his location. Throughout this phase, Zor'lok will keep using all of the abilities that were previously granted to him only when he was standing on a specific platform.

The enrage timer for the encounter is 6 minutes, and this constitutes one of the major challenges your raid will have to overcome. There is no need for a second tank, allowing you to use an extra DPS player, thus boosting your raid's damage output.

Core Abilities (used throughout the fight)

Zor'lok has a few abilities that he uses throughout the fight, regardless of the phase.

1. Inhale and Exhale

Exhale and Inhale are two complementary abilities that Zor'lok often uses. Exhale is a damaging ability and Inhale is a self-buff that Zor'lok stacks on himself to increase the damage of Exhale.

1.1. How Inhale Stacks

Inhale is cast one or twice between every cast of Exhale. Each time Inhale is cast, it increases the damage of Exhale by 50%. The cast of Inhale lasts 2 seconds and cannot be interrupted. Whenever Exhale is cast when there are 3 or more stacks of Inhale on Zor'lok, the stacks of Inhale are removed.

As you can see, you have no control on the number of stacks of Inhale that Zor'lok will have. You simply need to be aware of the fact that some casts of Exhale (those at 3 or 4 stacks of Inhale) will deal more damage than others (those at 1 or 2 stacks of Inhale).

1.2. How Exhale Works

Exhale is a channeled spell with which Zor'lok targets a random raid member. It fires a beam towards the target, dealing damage to them every 0.5 seconds, and stunning them. If a player intercepts the beam (i.e., moves between Zor'lok and the targeted raid member), then Exhale no longer affects its target, and instead deals reduced damage to the intercepting player.

2. Song of the Empress

Song of the Empress is an ability that Zor'lok uses to damage the raid if no players are within his melee range. This ability forces your raid to engage Zor'lok on which ever platform he is on.

3. Dealing with the Core Abilities

Exhale can be easily dealt with by having the tank intercept the beam. The damage dealt by this ability is relatively low, and Zor'lok does not melee during this time.

The only concern is for melee players, who, if targeted, should move away from the boss slightly so that the tank can properly get between them and Zor'lok's hitbox.

Dealing with Song of the Empress merely involves having your raid move to Zor'lok's new platform as soon as possible. This will require you to move through the center of the room, where you will take damage from Pheromones of Zeal.

Abilities such as Stampeding Roar are useful for this task. This is not a major concern, since it is entirely possible for your raid to reach Zor'lok's new location before he even begins channeling Song of the Empress.

5. Phase One

As we explained in the overview, Phase One lasts until Zor'lok reaches 40% health. During this phase, Zor'lok will go to each of the three platforms in the room, switching platform whenever you remove 20% of his life (so at 80% and 60%). The platform order is random, but he will always go to all 3 platforms (that is to say, he will never go to the same platform twice). On each platform, Zor'lok uses a specific ability that your raid will have to deal with, as we explain in the sections that follow.

When moving to a new platform, you will have to pass through Pheromones of Zeal, the damaging/silencing gas that the floor of the room is covered with. This is simply a source of occasional damage and silences that the raid needs to be aware of, but it should not pose any problem.

1. Platform: Attenuation

When on the north-eastern platform (located on the left side of the room where you fight Zor'lok), you will have to deal with Attenuation, which Zor'lok uses in addition to his core abilities.

1.1. Attenuation

Attenuation is a channeled spell that Zor'lok uses roughly every 45 seconds.
For 9 seconds, Zor'lok sends many disks away from himself, in random
directions. The disks move at a moderate speed across the floor, dealing a
large amount of Physical damage to anyone who comes in contact with them.

1.2. Strategy

The strategy for this phase is extremely simple. Whenever Attenuation is cast, your raid members must move to avoid being hit by any of the disks sent forth by Zor'lok.

Even though the disks deal high damage, a player can survive damage from several disks without the need for healing.

Since both Attenuation and Exhale are channeled spells, you will never have to deal with both of them at the same time, greatly reducing any potential difficulty of the phase.

2. Platform: Convert

When on the south-eastern platform (located at the back of the room where you fight Zor'lok), you will have to deal with Convert, which Zor'lok uses in addition to his core abilities.

2.1. Convert

Convert is a mind control that Zor'lok casts on a number of random raid members roughly every 60 seconds. Convert affects 1 player in 10-man, and 5 players in 25-man. Sometimes, Convert affects 2 players in 10-man, but we are not sure what the reason for this is.

In order for the mind control to be broken, the mind-controlled player(s)must be damaged to 50% of their maximum health. Each attack made on the player(s), however, has a chance to instantly break the mind control. This chance increases the closer the player's health is to 50%.

2.2. Strategy

The strategy for this phase simply involves freeing the mind controlled player(s) quickly. There is absolutely no complexity involved.

Your healers should be quick to dispel any debuffs that the mind-controlled player may apply to the raid, or that raid members inadvertently apply to the mind-controlled player when attacking them.

3. Platform: Force and Verve

When on the south-western platform (located on the right side of the room where you fight Zor'lok), you will have to deal with Force and Verve, which Zor'lok uses in addition to his core abilities.

3.1. Force and Verve

Every 45 seconds, Zor'lok will channel Force and Verve for 10 seconds. This deals a large amount of raid-wide damage every second.

Fortunately, immediately before casting Force and Verve, Zor'lok will create 3 shields on the ground near him, that your raid can use for protection. Being under one of these shields will reduce the damage taken from Force and Verve by 40%.

3.2. Strategy

Whenever Zor'lok creates the protective shields, you will have a few seconds to move under them before the channel of Force and Verve begins. Failure to do so will result in very high damage.

Each shield can only protect a limited number of players: 4 in 10-man, and 9 in 25-man. Any additional players who move under the shield will simply not benefit from its protection.

Due to the above-mentioned limitation, and the fact that the shields spawn in random locations, it is hard to simply assign people to a specific shield ahead of time. Instead, you should designate three groups of players, and assign a leader for each group. Then, simply have these leaders quickly decide which shield their group will go to, and have the other members follow their leader.

Since Force and Verve is a channeled spell, Zor'lok does not melee during this time. Even so, the damage from Force and Verve is quite high, even to shielded players, so healers will have to be prepared for this.

Phase Two

At 40% health, Zor'lok will fly above the center of the room, and absorb all the Pheromones of Zeal. This grants him a buff that increases his damage done by 10%, and haste by 20%, until the end of the fight.

Shortly after this, he will pull the entire raid to his location.

1. Abilities

During this phase, Zor'lok will use all of the abilities from Phase One. Fortunately for your raid, you will never have to deal with Attenuation and Force and Verve at the same time, as they are both channeled.

2. Strategy

The strategy for this phase is simply to execute the tasks that you have been practicing in the previous phase.

The center of the room is much more spacious than the platforms, so your raid can spread out more to avoid the disks from Attenuation. You must be careful, however, not to have any raid members so far away from the group that they cannot reach the protective shields in time.

When to Use Heroism/Bloodlust/Time Warp

We recommend using Heroism/ Bloodlust/ Time Warp during Phase Two, since this is by far the most intense and complex phase of the encounter.

Learning the Fight

If your raid needs more practice on a specific platform, then it is possible, during an attempt, to stop attacking the boss once the platform is reached. Learning how to deal with boss abilities is a lot easier when players are not distracted by performing their role. DPS will make less mistakes and take less damage, making it easier for the healers to heal, giving them more focus on the boss abilities.

Phase Two is a combination of all the scenarios from Phase One.
Even if raid members already know how to deal with all the abilities separately, chances are that having to deal with them at the same time (although Attenuation and Force and Verve cannot happen simultaneously) is going to be somewhat confusing. Here, the raid can also stop attacking the boss and have players focus on avoiding boss abilities instead, until they no longer make mistakes.

Remember that learning something by steps is always easier than trying to learn it entirely at once.

--
Guild leader of Pride and Ego
Good times with Great people in the Best way to spend $15/mo.

Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5

Awesome read thanks.

Nick D
Premium
Orange, CA
reply to Immer

Quick shot summary:

Constants:
-tanks stand in the beam
-stay out of the middle

On Attenutation platform, play Galaga
On Convert platform, beat on the brats
On Force and Verve platform, wear the hard hat

At the end, do all 3 (chachacha)

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

Man only one tank, is it the same on 25m?.

LFR is going to be interesting.

Nick D
Premium
Orange, CA

There's a theory that one of the tanks can be MC'd, in which case 2 tanks are needed.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

That makes a lot of sense, for 10m is time to bust the ret set!

stonhinge
Premium
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS
reply to Nick D

You have to clear MSV in order to do HoF. Unless the RF version counts, which is possible.
--
When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets.

Arsinic

join:2011-02-17
Ruffs Dale, PA
kudos:1
reply to Nick D

IMO my guild raids Mon and tues 730-11 so were concerned abotu what to do. We did a normal clear of MV and headed over to HoF(after a 30 min break >.)

HoF First boss is a standard can x get out of derp check for the most part. The only difficult piece to the fight is ensuring healers are prepared to heal the Force and Verve. FnV is very healing intensive, we did 2 pulls attempting to 2 heal it realized it was a biotch, I swapped to healing and 5 pulls later cha ching..

A few pointers, dont get to far from the boss during attenuation as they richochette off the walls.

For FnV ensure healers arent have to move much leading up to this, We set helears in the melee bubble under boss and let tank melee sit in the next closest(its still in melee range). We were able to dps this phase in 1 FnV making it really easy.

For the MC phase be careful of breakng MC in the exhale we had deaths to that. As the person coming out of MC is half hp and eats the exhale tick.

Last phase spread, hero/lust and do work.

shivan88

join:2010-04-07
Waterloo, IA
reply to stonhinge

said by stonhinge:

You have to clear MSV in order to do HoF. Unless the RF version counts, which is possible.

Are we sure this is correct? I thought I read that you needed to clear Heart of Fear in order to enter the next raid Terrace of Endless Springs but I don't see where we need to clear MSV to enter HoF. My group is also only 4/6 in MSV and we were thinking about going into HoF tomorrow if possible so I'd appreciate clarification.

Thanks!

stonhinge
Premium
Topeka, KS

From personally checking all of 30 seconds ago, either clearing LFR counts, or no such limitation is in effect.

shivan88

Waterloo, IA

Yeah only requirement I've found is 470 ilvl

Nick D
Premium
Orange, CA
reply to Nick D

Force and Verve hurts, even in the shields.

Film at 11.

stonhinge
Premium
Topeka, KS
reply to shivan88

470 ilvl is for LFR. There is no ilvl requirement for normal/heroic.
--
When the ship lifts, all bills are paid. No regrets.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA
reply to Nick D

Raid CD's. 6/6 MSV 2/6 HoF (if it matters).

shivan88

Waterloo, IA
reply to Nick D

I'm trying to decide if we should work on Elegon or Zor'lok tonight. It seems like Zor'lok isn't nearly as involved as Elegon but since we haven't tried either I'm not sure.

Any advice/opinions?

Nick D
Premium
Orange, CA

Zor'lok is far far easier than Elegon. The only "hard part" is Force and Verve, and that just means competent use of healing CDs.

actually, the hardest part is when you get an Convert (Mind Control) into a Force and Verve and the guys are out of position.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to stonhinge

said by stonhinge:

From personally checking all of 30 seconds ago, either clearing LFR counts, or no such limitation is in effect.

Only req for HoF is be in a raid group from a single server.

ToES you must have completed HoF.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

I did the first half of HoF this morning, one shot on everything thanks to an awesome group, the fights are a lot of fun but there is not a lot to do at least for tanks on LFR.

First boss intercept the exhale, second boss taunt on the assault and third boss does not need a tank.

One thing I found is that I suck at dodging tornadoes on the gauntlet phase on the second boss.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Nick D
Premium
Orange, CA

1 edit
reply to Nick D

180k wipe on Zor'lok last night :\ The bear tank was the only one alive from 3mil and he enraged.

This fight is just full of dick moves.

Convert the paladin -> HoJ the tank (because it came off CD about 4 seconds after Convert hit) -> one shots two DPS

Another attempt:
MC two healers, blow all their cooldowns -> Force and Verve

EDIT: to clarify, if the tank is incapacitated on that fight, he starts meleeing whoever else is close.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico

Ouch that is painful bad RNG is just bad.

You will get it man.

Arsinic

join:2011-02-17
Ruffs Dale, PA
reply to Nick D

People should be broken out of the MC in 4 seconds.. Also the HoJ is dispelable.

Nick D
Premium
Orange, CA

Yeah, I guess I got to get on people more on dispelling. One guy is good about it, but if he has to dispel a warlock fear, the HoJ target will sit there looking pretty.

Also, breaking people out in 4s seems hard. I know if I get MC'd I'm blowing Die by the Sword nearly every time (which I was sandbagging for F&V usage), which would make it hard to kill me in 4 seconds.

at least it doesn't know how to equip a shield and shield wall :\

I guess we can probably do with some better grouping in that phase. Ranged and healers are roughly in front of the tank, but no reason they can't be on top of each other. Melee are loosely spread behind in case of Exhale.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Do like we did...kill him before he can cast convert.

Nick D
Premium
Orange, CA

I did like the attempts that went Convert -> Exhale. Those are like a vacation in the tropics.