uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Re: GenTent portable generator cover

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

I would have to think plywood with cinder blocks on it has the same problem. Is it okay to run it that way if the rain is coming in at an angle but NOT getting into the outlets.

A sheet of plywood is like an umbrella.
That little generator hood is like a hat.

One is good for the rain, the other is just to keep your hair dry.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

A sheet of plywood is like an umbrella.
That little generator hood is like a hat.

One is good for the rain, the other is just to keep your hair dry.

With due respect, then explain the design of Stanley's all-weather generator vs the "little hat".

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

2 edits

alkizmo

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

With due respect, then explain the design of Stanley's all-weather generator vs the "little hat".

Only the engine part is exposed. Like snow blowers, lawn mowers, etc, that part is already sealed by its own casing.

however, notice how the electrical side is covered in plastic, and the outlet panel has a rain guard, while the extension outlets are gfci.

edit: may i add that on the stanley, some other parts are also weather proofed like the muffler.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

however, notice how the electrical side is covered in plastic, and the outlet panel has a rain guard, while the extension outlets are gfci.

I guess what I'm looking at is that the outlets are covered in both instances (plastic for stanley, canvas cover for GenTent) but the rest of both the Stanley and GenTent setups are open to the elements. I agree that Stanley MAY have some things that are more rugged (I've never personally seen one, so they may not), but it appears that at their essence, they have similar designs with what they do and do not cover.

As far as GFCI, my generator does not have a N/G bond and so has no GFCI protection. But it's only really used when plugged into the house GenTran inlet box, which provides the singular N/G bond in the house panel.

Hmmm... time to ponder...

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

1 recommendation

alkizmo

I didnt have time to write any further because I was holding my 3 month old daughter.

Notice how on the stanley, there are no bolts on the frame. The whole thing is molded and soldered together, no bolts, no holes, everything is made so water doesn't enter a crack/hole and get stuck inside to rust the metal.

Your generator has bolts on the frame. Water can get inside the holes in the pipe frame, and linger forever, rusting your generator.

Also, think of maintenance simplicity. Even the weather proof generator isn't made to be left outside FOREVER. It's just a functional way to use a generator in the rain, whereever you go.
You still need to clean it and dry it after you used it in a rain storm.

If you use a proper shelter that keeps the whole generator dry, you won't have to worry about cleaning it or rust.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by alkizmo:

Notice how on the stanley, there are no bolts on the frame. The whole thing is molded and soldered together, no bolts, no holes, everything is made so water doesn't enter a crack/hole and get stuck inside to rust the metal.

Your generator has bolts on the frame. Water can get inside the holes in the pipe frame, and linger forever, rusting your generator

I just checked my generator, and I posted some pics of it that I've posted here before. I don't see any holes in the generator tube frame on my generator. There are bolts that are exposed, but I don't think any penetrate into the tube frame.

I realize the GenTent isn't for keeping the generator out all the time. It's for generator use in inclement weather, and then putting the generator away when done with it. I store it in my garage, so it's out of the weather unless in use. The problem is use during rain or snow. If it works, it's a pretty ideal solution for me... I'd rather that than build a separate shed or covering.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

ok but my other point was that if rain on the sides is okay, then why even spend 200$ on a hat?

make a cover just for the outlets out of a square of tarp
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

ok but my other point was that if rain on the sides is okay, then why even spend 200$ on a hat?

make a cover just for the outlets out of a square of tarp

I guess that's true... having a "hat" would seem to still keep out quite a bit of water, though with open sides you'd have to question how much vs no hat at all.

I'm going to ponder for a while on this... I'm not really sure how I'm going to proceed yet.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by XXXXXXXXXXX1:

I guess that's true... having a "hat" would seem to still keep out quite a bit of water, though with open sides you'd have to question how much vs no hat at all.

I'm going to ponder for a while on this... I'm not really sure how I'm going to proceed yet.

If that hat was 50$, I'd say go for it, why not, better than nothing.
But it's 200$.
A piece of plywood and a block of concrete does a better job (protects the sides too!)

If you want something nice and professional, look into building a real shelter for it, it's worth the time (And still probably would come at less than 200$).

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
Hey JimCT, PLEASE stop posting pictures of your clean and shiny generator. It has all of us very embarrassed. It is too clean and well kept, at least compared to mine which has dust, some oil stains, a few spider webs and insects on the frame. LOL

Seriously, nice setup with the propane connection.

Tim
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by pende_tim:

Hey JimCT, PLEASE stop posting pictures of your clean and shiny generator. It has all of us very embarrassed. It is too clean and well kept, at least compared to mine which has dust, some oil stains, a few spider webs and insects on the frame. LOL

Seriously, nice setup with the propane connection.

Tim

Okay... I'll try to refrain until I've used it in a rainstorm and it's all dirty and gross..

Seriously though, I like to keep my stuff in great shape and working condition. The propane hookup is pretty awesome... but after all this to set this system up, I still have yet to use it for anything more than testing. During Sandy, my lights flickered twice and that was it.. I guess that could be viewed as both good and bad, but given the unfortunate situation of many... I am very grateful I didn't have to use it.