Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to DocDrew

Premium Member

to DocDrew

Re: Oracle Java SE 7u9 and 6u37 released

No, my Java worked just fine on Fx, SM and Opera until the browsers blocked it about a year ago. These older versions still work just fine on IE 6 and IE 8. Mozilla says it has blocked my Java and says I can unblock the block but it doesn't unblock. So, if Mozilla did not block it then why do they claim to have blocked it?

I never used Fx 3.6. I had Fx3.0 on a virtual machine but TBE didn't work on it much better than on Fx 2 (where it didn't work at all with out several hacks that I had to use). I continued to use Fx 1.5 (best version of Fx ....after that it has all been downhill) on the host machine until Fx 4 was released (and made Opera my default browser for two years). On my virtual machines I had Fx 3.0 and Java worked fine until I upgraded to Fx 10 ESR which is unstable and not nearly as good as Fx 4 (which isn't as good as 1.5).

Java continued to work on Opera until recently. Now, I just start an older version of Opera. (Current version is the worst version I've ever had and I've used Opera since version 3).

My old Java works on IE6 and IE8. Of course, what I really wish I still had was Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine. I NEVER touched Sun Java until Microsoft was forced to kill their Java which was superior to Sun's.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

2 edits

DocDrew

Premium Member

You may have had a slightly newer version. Java 6 update 10 did use the new API and would've worked until browsers started blocking it for security reasons.

Firefox 3.6 used the new Java API and required the use of Java 6 update 10 and up.

Many of the other browsers switched to the new APIs and needed the same Java versions around the same time frame. Making a single Java release usable by multiple browsers was easier to support than coding individual versions of Java for each browser.