All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
shavkaca
join:2012-06-24

shavkaca

Cirago NUS1000 USB storage Link

I am new to the forum, so not sure whether this is the right place to post this.
I have a Cirago NUS1000 USB Storage Link which seems to be bricked. The power comes on, but no network connectivity (LAN led does not even come on), no ping or anything. Reset does not work either.
When powered on, power led comes on, along with USB 2,3,4 dimmed lights.
Called support and they told me it is probably bricked and nothing can be done to it.
I could not find anything on the net. Is anyone familiar with this device? Is it possible to "unbrick" it?
Thanks

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

I've not used this, but these are the first basic steps:

1. If powering on/off, or the factory reset button does nothing.
2. You cannot access the config page/password screen by typing in 192.168.1.66 or 192.168.1.66:1010, nor NSU1000:1010, or if using an apple, NSU1000.local.1010.
3. Does it show up at all in your network places?
4. Have you replaced the network cable?
5. When you said ping, which address did you ping?
Or the DNS servers it uses?
6. Is the rest of your network discover-able? It runs off DHCP and you may find it isn't the box, it maybe the computer, have you tried a second computer, iphone or other hardware, that is, is the same issue from more than 1 source trying to access it?
norwegian

norwegian to shavkaca

Premium Member

to shavkaca

Oh, another thing "bricked" if you do not understand it's term references the fact it is forever broken. Brick, as in just a plain square shape, the electronics are beyond repair or the cost to fix is not warranted and replacement is suggested.
shavkaca

shavkaca

I do understand the term "brick"
Thanks for your comments, but I did try all these steps.
As in regards with "bricked" devices, it's possible to recover some of them by Jtag. So I was wondering if that might help.
Anyway, I will play around with it, if nothing helps I will just throw it away...

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

You may be able to even try re-flashing the device, I've not used one nor experimented there, someone else maybe able to comment on that.
shavkaca

shavkaca

Any suggestion how I can re-flash it? Or where can I find more information about it?
Thanks

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

The firmware for flashing is in the downloads page - NUS1000-V2.3.0.zip, this contains a .bin file. I could not find any info but imagine there is a configuration page where you select the .bin file and it upgrades.

This is a guess as I do not have the unit - there would be a factory - type firmware upgrade where by you use usb, but for the life of me I could find no reference. Maybe the best course of action is contact support and ask for the routine for firmware upgrade, via the web config and via usb so they don't just give you the configuration page method and ignore your issue.

It may work, or it may not, but if you're trying to do everything you can, it would be the next process if everything else has failed, before you confirm the "yes it is a brick".

Good luck.
shavkaca

1 edit

shavkaca

Spoke with support.
They told me I should put the .bin file on the root of USB flash drive and plug it into port #3 (that is alternative way of upgrading firmware).
It still does not give a sign of life when I do that, neither I can log into the admin panel...
They could not give me any other information.
I was hoping maybe opening the device and connecting via com port or anything, but not sure though...

norwegian
Premium Member
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

I wish I could help you more; from here I will have to bow out of further advice.

Hopefully someone else can offer assistance from here, relative to your ideas.
shavkaca

shavkaca

Thanks