how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Methadras

join:2004-05-26
Spring Valley, CA

[CA] Cox blocking torrent sites...

I've tried to access a few torrent sites, namely CGPeers and Torrent Crazy and all I get is the white wall of death. How can I verify that cox is either blocking these sites or specifically if they are blocking me from accessing them? I'm in the San Diego, East County region where they service. Can I call them and ask them directly if they are blocking these sites or me specifically? Anyone have these issues?

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:17
torrent sites are always going up/down. try a different DNS provider, we might not have the updated DNS after the server was moved.(which they do very often)

Methadras

Spring Valley, CA
said by odog:

torrent sites are always going up/down. try a different DNS provider, we might not have the updated DNS after the server was moved.(which they do very often)

Normally I would say this is the case. However, I'm able to access them on another network without issue.

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1
Not good, don't like being censored on the web.

-Rob

odog
Premium,VIP
Atlanta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Methadras
said by Methadras:

said by odog:

Normally I would say this is the case. However, I'm able to access them on another network without issue.

Did you try alternative DNS servers?

Methadras

Spring Valley, CA
I will try it tonight and get back to you. Alternate dns services like OpenDNS or Google DNS should do.

AnonPhx

@cox.net
both sites are responding to me on Google DNS and Cox DNS.

Methadras

Spring Valley, CA
said by AnonPhx :

both sites are responding to me on Google DNS and Cox DNS.

Where are you located out of curiosity?

Methadras

Spring Valley, CA
reply to odog
Okay, i tried opendns and google dns and I still can't access those sites. I can access them elsewhere, but not here. How do I go about to see if cox is blocking my ip specifically?

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

1 edit
said by Methadras:

Okay, i tried opendns and google dns and I still can't access those sites. I can access them elsewhere, but not here. How do I go about to see if cox is blocking my ip specifically?

did you ask them if your blocked via your cox ip?

odog
Premium,VIP
Atlanta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Methadras
said by Methadras:

Highly unlikely and pretty much nearly impossible. When you check these sites "work" how are you doing it? Same computer connected to another ISP, or some other computer on another ISP? You may want to check the computers host file/table. I can't imagine malware would blackhole specific torrent sites, but that is the next most likely scenario if alternative DNS doesn't work.

Guzzler

join:2002-09-24
Tempe, AZ
reply to Methadras
Have you done the normal, ping, tracert, etc. diagnostics first?

Have you checked www.torrentfreak.com to see if there is any news about certain torrent sites that are down? (just a news site about torrenting).

Have you checked your own system? Make sure the firewall is properly configured. Your HOSTS file isn't messed up.

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI
reply to Methadras
I really don't think Cox is doing IP level blocking of anything (in fact, I haven't heard of any domestic consumer facing ISPs that do any kind of IP level blocking of public addresses.)

I don't think they are doing DNS blocking of anything either, though they DO have flaky DNS servers (I remember one time they had an entire day where DNS servers were down due to a routing loop, and routing loops are usually a pretty easy thing to find and fix; shouldn't take a whole day.)

There are even times when I have tried to reach a subdomain which at certain times of the day, Cox's DNS servers can't resolve, whereas other DNS servers can. Interestingly, Level 3's DNS servers can't resolve them either, and Cox's DNS servers are sourced from Level 3 (anycast address of 4.2.2.1, guessing mine resides in Arizona, so it may be different elsewhere.)

What you might be running into is DNS poisoning. It's possible that your gateway device (router as most people call it, though it's actually multiple devices in one) has an internal DNS server that has a poisoned cache, or even a poisoned hosts file.

Or worse, it's possible that your client machine has a poisoned hosts file.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to Methadras
said by Methadras:

Maybe its not cox, maybe its the sites[common if you hit and run]
--
Despises any post with strings.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
Addressed in second post.

Methadras

Spring Valley, CA
reply to odog

Highly unlikely and pretty much nearly impossible. When you check these sites "work" how are you doing it? Same computer connected to another ISP, or some other computer on another ISP? You may want to check the computers host file/table. I can't imagine malware would blackhole specific torrent sites, but that is the next most likely scenario if alternative DNS doesn't work.

I was using my mobile to check if I had access to these sites through my wifi network. CGpeers and CGforums loads, but not Torrent Crazy through my mobile. So I'm gonna go look at my hosts file and see if they are there too.

Methadras

Spring Valley, CA
reply to Rakeesh
said by Rakeesh:

I really don't think Cox is doing IP level blocking of anything (in fact, I haven't heard of any domestic consumer facing ISPs that do any kind of IP level blocking of public addresses.)

I don't think they are doing DNS blocking of anything either, though they DO have flaky DNS servers (I remember one time they had an entire day where DNS servers were down due to a routing loop, and routing loops are usually a pretty easy thing to find and fix; shouldn't take a whole day.)

There are even times when I have tried to reach a subdomain which at certain times of the day, Cox's DNS servers can't resolve, whereas other DNS servers can. Interestingly, Level 3's DNS servers can't resolve them either, and Cox's DNS servers are sourced from Level 3 (anycast address of 4.2.2.1, guessing mine resides in Arizona, so it may be different elsewhere.)

What you might be running into is DNS poisoning. It's possible that your gateway device (router as most people call it, though it's actually multiple devices in one) has an internal DNS server that has a poisoned cache, or even a poisoned hosts file.

Or worse, it's possible that your client machine has a poisoned hosts file.

I looked at my hosts file and nothing is in there relating to cgpeers.com or torrentcrazy.com. I can load cgpeers.com now due to hunting it being blocked by a malware program i have running, but i didn't know it was blocking it. However, torrentcrazy.com won't load even if I shut down all of my malware/AV apps. flushed dnscache. Not sure where to look at this point.

Anon401

@cox.net
I do not think the problem is because of Cox. I am getting DNS resolution on the site and I can see traffic being passed back and forth in Wireshark.

The page never does load in a web browser - this is the response I get from a telnet session:
HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 01:23:18 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS)
Content-Length: 311
Connection: close
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

400 Bad Request

Bad Request
                                                                                                                             <p>Your brows
 sent a request that this server could not understand.
                                                            </p>
                                                                <hr>
                                                                    Apache/2.2.3 (CentOS) Server at www.torrentcrazy.com Port 80

Connection to host lost.

odog
Premium,VIP
Atlanta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Rakeesh
said by Rakeesh:

and Cox's DNS servers are sourced from Level 3 (anycast address of 4.2.2.1, guessing mine resides in Arizona, so it may be different elsewhere.)

Not sure what you mean by that, but COX has it's own discrete DNS servers. L3 has anycasted DNS servers all over america in a few of their larger peering points/datacenters.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
reply to Methadras
I have Cox in Orange County, CA and can't get to torrentcrazy.com either. But I also can't get to it through Clearwire. But downforeveryoneorjustme reports that it is up. CGPeers was down yesterday but I can get to it from Cox today.

Guzzler

join:2002-09-24
Tempe, AZ
reply to Methadras
I think we have ruled out that Cox is blocking torrent sites. Those are just flaky sites that go up and down on a whim.

Methadras

Spring Valley, CA
said by Guzzler:

I think we have ruled out that Cox is blocking torrent sites. Those are just flaky sites that go up and down on a whim.

No, that hasn't been ruled out since I can connect to torrentcrazy.com through my verizon 4g connection, I can connect to it from my work computer, I can connect to it through my at&t 4g connection and most other wireless connections outside of cox. As a matter of fact, I just did a brand new install of windows 7 on this computer that I'm typing on right now and I can't access it through cox either. There is nothing loaded on this machine except for internet explorer. At this point, I have to assume that cox is either blocking it or rerouting it into a black hole somewhere.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2

1 edit
Or torrentcrazy.com is blocking Cox, some or all of their IP blocks. Meanwhile I'm seeing the exact same thing (page won't load) using Clearwire. I think it is on TC's end.

Anon4O1

@cox.net
reply to Methadras
said by Methadras:

No, that hasn't been ruled out since I can connect to torrentcrazy.com through my verizon 4g connection, I can connect to it from my work computer, I can connect to it through my at&t 4g connection and most other wireless connections outside of cox. As a matter of fact, I just did a brand new install of windows 7 on this computer that I'm typing on right now and I can't access it through cox either. There is nothing loaded on this machine except for internet explorer. At this point, I have to assume that cox is either blocking it or rerouting it into a black hole somewhere.

Not a DNS or routing issue.

H:\>tracert torrentcrazy.com

Tracing route to torrentcrazy.com [94.185.82.42]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1&#9; torrentcrazy.com
Server:  ns1.ri.cox.net
Address:  68.9.16.30

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:&#9;torrentcrazy.com
Address:  94.185.82.42

> torrentcrazy.com
Server:  ip68-105-28-16.at.at.cox.net
Address:  68.105.28.16

> torrentcrazy.com
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

judgeroybean

@cox.net
reply to odog
said by odog:

Not sure what you mean by that, but COX has it's own discrete DNS servers. L3 has anycasted DNS servers all over america in a few of their larger peering points/datacenters.

Cox sources direct from one of the root servers?

Methadras

Spring Valley, CA
reply to skeechan
said by skeechan:

Or torrentcrazy.com is blocking Cox, some or all of their IP blocks. Meanwhile I'm seeing the exact same thing (page won't load) using Clearwire. I think it is on TC's end.

That would certainly be interesting to note that TC might be blocking itself from these blocks of ip's. I wonder if it's intentional. Certainly interesting.

Methadras

Spring Valley, CA
reply to Methadras
By the way, can anyone from cox confirm any of this?

Anon1

@cox.net
this site loads with default COX DNS
»imgur.com/1gv6A

quality torrents though.....

Methadras

Spring Valley, CA
said by Anon1 :

this site loads with default COX DNS
»imgur.com/1gv6A

quality torrents though.....