how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

keystroke

join:2004-11-10
Ramsey, NJ

Ordered Uverse in Chapel Hill, NC

Just ordered Uverse to Chapel Hill, NC. 18 down, I think 1.5 up. I am literally a few feet from the CO. Does anyone know if this will be a FTTP or FTTN install? According to Wikipedia the 18/1.5 can be either ADSL2+ or VDSL.

Thanks!

ILpt4U
Premium
join:2006-11-12
Lisle, IL
kudos:9
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

When you placed the order, did it specify what modem you will be receiving? Which modem is probably the easiest way to identify which flavor of service you will be getting

Technically, FTTN/VDSL2 would be 18 down/1.5 up, and IPDSLAM/ADSL2+ would be 18 down/1 up

If your service is fed directly from the CO, you will probably be getting ADSL2+, as typically most CO U-Verse DSLAMs have the ADSL2+ cards in them

I have heard stories (mostly in city of Chicago COs) of COs having U-Verse DSLAMs with VDSL2 cards in them, so anything is possible

And I have seen COs that have Crossboxes/SACs right in front of them/behind them, and some of those SACs have VDSL2 VRADs with them... again, anything is possible

I will go out on a limb and predict you are not getting FTTP if you are only a few feet from the CO (though not like it would be THAT hard if you truly are only a few feet)