uniqs

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru to whoaru99

to whoaru99

Re: Lifeline Internet Service

said by whoaru99:

The more times I read this the further off base I think it is in regard to morals. The older generations I know seemed to believe, in simplest terms, that if you couldn't afford something you just did without it until you could. They didn't expect a government bailout, so to speak.

But in this day in age you never will be able to afford it without it.

Examples,

Need a job to get internet but need internet to apply for jobs in 2012+.

Need a job to get a car but need a car to get to a job if you don't live in a big city with mass transit.

Family member nice enough to hand you a car to get a job? Well it still takes gas to get to work until your first paycheck in three weeks.

It all boils down to IT TAKES MONEY TO MAKE MONEY and since so many irresponsible people keep reproducing at a astounding rate without being able to properly support their offspring and get them started post highschool/college the government is having to step in to help them get started.

I know two 22 yr olds. Both have two happily married parents.

Person A's parents are both uneducated living on social security after wearing their body's out doing min wage labor work all their lives.

Person B's parents own their own successful business.

Person A is still living at home unable to get a job in the small town they live in thus also unable to get a car to drive to a bigger town to find work.

Person B is currently making $3,600 a month after his parents bought him a car in cash as a HS graduation present, paid for one semester of technical college post high school, then co-signed a apartment in a big city and paid for 6 months of rent and living expenses so he could work the good job he found after his semester of technical college.

My point is, if one can not afford to be like person B's parents, they should not be reproducing. This is what is wrong with the world!
whoaru99
join:2003-12-17

4 edits

whoaru99

My parent were not what I'd consider well to do. My dad was a truck driver, my mom was a stay at home mom, myself and two younger brothers. Parents didn't have the money to buy me or my brothers cars, they didn't have the money to put us through college.

I didn't stay at home living in the basement, I went into the military. Granted, I only stayed in 4 years but it got me grounded and got me started. My middle brother worked, lots, to put himself through Vo-Tech school. My youngest brother, bless his heart, doesn't do much which we don't really understand because he is pretty tech savvy and smart. Two out of three are doing well, what accounts for the other? I can tell you it was choices and decisions he made, not that he got any better or worse start than us or has some sort of disability.

I got a good chuckle out of the "can't afford a car to get to the job across town" line because I've heard that from my youngest bro a number of times. At one time I even offered to give him one of my older cars instead of selling it, but he didn't want it. Too expensive for gas and insurance, yet, he seems to have money to afford a big screen TV, fast Internet connection, etc., etc.

When I got out I got a job and have done fairly well. Certainly not rich, but I do OK. Point being, I think in most cases there are ways to get started even if one's parents or whatever can't do it. If that can happen, great, more power to ya, but it doesn't have to happen to make life work.

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

cork1958

Premium Member

said by whoaru99:

My parent were not what I'd consider well to do. My dad was a truck driver, my mom was a stay at home mom, myself and two younger brothers. Parents didn't have the money to buy me or my brothers cars, they didn't have the money to put us through college.

I didn't stay at home living in the basement, I went into the military. Granted, I only stayed in 4 years but it got me grounded and got me started. My middle brother worked, lots, to put himself through Vo-Tech school. My youngest brother, bless his heart, doesn't do much which we don't really understand because he is pretty tech savvy and smart. Two out of three are doing well, what accounts for the other? I can tell you it was choices and decisions he made, not that he got any better or worse start than us or has some sort of disability.

I got a good chuckle out of the "can't afford a car to get to the job across town" line because I've heard that from my youngest bro a number of times. At one time I even offered to give him one of my older cars instead of selling it, but he didn't want it. Too expensive for gas and insurance, yet, he seems to have money to afford a big screen TV, fast Internet connection, etc., etc.

When I got out I got a job and have done fairly well. Certainly not rich, but I do OK. Point being, I think in most cases there are ways to get started even if one's parents or whatever can't do it. If that can happen, great, more power to ya, but it doesn't have to happen to make life work.

+1

Exact same way I grew up and got started, except I only stayed in the service for 3 years. Never had my parents buy me a car, or even a peddle bike, for that matter.

A good example of how lazy people (kids) are now a days is the fact that no one goes from building to building looking for work. Everybody hires through temp agencies now, so kids don't have a clue how to land a job, let alone the incentive to look.

Could go on and on, but this could start sounding like flame bait!!