spc
uniqs
userofdsl
join:2000-07-31
Somerville, MA

2 edits

userofdsl to nitzan

to nitzan

Re: [Future9] Free porting in NY, CA, PA, DE, MD, VA, and WV.

Looks like you were posting about the same idea while I was.

Before I ported from VZ to CC, T-Mobile told me they could port in a few days, but I didn't know if that was true.

If they can now do that from CC, I guess I'm in, absent any other known option.

Update: from their web site, it looks like prepaid T-Mobile may not have call forwarding.

Further update: Definitely doesn't have:
»support.t-mobile.com/thr ··· ad/33237
said by nitzan:

If you can't find a VOIP provider that will port it within a few days, your best bet is someone like T-mobile prepaid. It doesn't cost much and they're very fast on porting. You could always port it out to a VOIP provider later if you wish.

nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

nitzan

Premium Member

No- they definitely do NOT have call forwarding. But at least you'll be able to get your calls in while waiting for another provider to port it in - which may take weeks.

Or you could just keep it with CallCentric for the next few weeks. The situation right now is unclear but most likely they'll be back up in a few days.

josephf
join:2009-04-26

josephf

How is T-Mobile able to port VoIP numbers so much quicker than other VoIP providers can?
nitzan
Premium Member

nitzan

Premium Member

The problem for VOIP providers is that they have to rely on CLECs/ILECs to perform the port for them. Cell carriers are very fast at this but the carriers that provide services to VOIP providers range between a few days to painfully slow. A certain ILEC's wholesale division has a mandatory 14 business day waiting period - that's 3 weeks! smaller CLECs port faster, but they are only available within a limited number of states.

josephf
join:2009-04-26

josephf

So technically a CLEC could quickly port a VoIP DID, at least as fast as T-Mobile. But they are slow due to their own internal bureaucratic process, I take it.
nitzan
Premium Member

nitzan

Premium Member

said by josephf:

So technically a CLEC could quickly port a VoIP DID, at least as fast as T-Mobile. But they are slow due to their own internal bureaucratic process, I take it.

I think cellular is actually faster than a CLEC for other reasons too (I'm not that familiar with the process), but in general yes - a CLEC could process it in a few days, they're mostly just slow due to their own bureaucratic processes. The fastest ports I've seen were from the CLECs we're using for this offer which usually take a few days.