Search similar:

uniqs
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

[OLEXP] CID embedded image display in OE?

Can Outlook Express, on XP Pro, display a CID embedded image? If it can, how do I do it?

I see this in the body of the email to me from someone using a recent version of Outlook I think:

[cid:image001.png@01CDB5AD.C050E8B0]

This is the first time I have received CID image in email.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

1 edit

DocDrew

Premium Member

The cid refers to another part (attachment) in the email that has the given "Content-id:" header. This is specified in RFC2557: MIME Encapsulation of Aggregate Documents, such as HTML (MHTML).

The image itself is a PNG and should be an attachment named image001.png.

Are you blocking attachments or reading the email in plaintext instead of HTML form?

The cid tag basically makes the client display the image inline instead of as an attachment if it's handled properly.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I do view mail in plain text but I switched to HTML for this because I thought it was an imbedded image which would require HTML to display embedded. That didn't make it display and there is no attachment for me to download.

I just tried to display it using Opera email and Opera thought it was a URL and tried to go to that URL!

I also tried to set up my dslr mail account in the latest Sea Monkey thinking it might display this image correctly but dang if the dslr mail server isn't finicky! When I put in my password (after setting up the account) the server replied "lies!" I tried again and got the same reply. On the third try, the server said "This is ridiculous. I give up." I do know my site password so I don't know what the problem is with dslr mail and SeaMonkey.

Anyhow, I am batting zero trying to display these two images. I'd like to display them so I can see if my Dell computer order was entered correctly by the salesperson. I couldn't order online because Dell was trying to force me to order Windows 8. I had to call Dell Small and Medium Business and order over the phone in order to get Windows 7 Pro. Turns out there is no way to view the order, when done over the phone, except via these images the sales manager sent me and I can't display them. Maybe it doesn't matter since Dell, to my surprise, states that if there are errors in the order, even though the order has not yet gone to production, you cannot have the errors corrected. You have to cancel and reorder. That doesn't make much sense but if there was some significant error I would cancel, but I have to be able to see the order first. It will probably go to production tomorrow (10 days after I placed the order).

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew

Premium Member

You may want to try the tips at this link:

Images are blocked when you open an e-mail message in Outlook Express on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer
»support.microsoft.com/kb/843018
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Thank you. I am aware of that and know how to display images when that problem occurs.

With CID image though, OE does not see it as an image so it doesn't refuse to download the external images in HTML message for security reasons.