how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FF4m3

@bhn.net

Free, Fully Functional Copy Of 'CrossOver'

said by CodeWeavers, Inc. :

On Wednesday, Oct. 31, 2012, beginning at 00:00 Central Time (-5 GMT), anyone visiting CodeWeavers’ Flock The Vote promotional web site (flock.codeweavers.com) will be able to download a free, fully functional copy of either CrossOver Mac or CrossOver Linux. Each copy comes complete with 12 months of support and product upgrades. The offer will continue for 24 hours, from 00:00 to 23:59, Oct. 31, 2012.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

Outstanding. Grabbing it now.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to FF4m3

Thx for the heads up, have never used this software before, but have heard good things about it.
--
~ Project Hope ~

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to FF4m3

Nice.
Thank you. Which reminds me that I need to donate money to the guys at playonlinux .

compugeek
Premium
join:2002-07-30
reply to FF4m3

I noticed that when it downloaded the folder was "demo" that it was coming from on their side. I haven't installed it yet and it did say they would send an email with a license.

Geek

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to FF4m3

Do I HAVE to download it today or can I wait a bit? Can't get to my linux box today sadly.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2

Better download it before midnight.

firephoto
We the people
Premium
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA
reply to me1212

said by me1212:

Do I HAVE to download it today or can I wait a bit? Can't get to my linux box today sadly.

I would guess they only care about the registration process today since it includes a year of updates which typically are full installs for these sorts of things.

I also get the feeling they'll probably be switching to a free model anyway or just pushing their changes fully into wine itself and leaving their version for paid support.
--
Say no to astroturfing. actions > Ignore Author

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to compugeek

It's fully enabled. There is a menu item for registering to activate it, but when you do that it says it's already enabled.

You don't get a license emailed to you. What they do email you later is a link to the support site good for one year.

Also, if you look in the demo folder where the file is located, the file is invisible.

compugeek
Premium
join:2002-07-30

You are correct.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
reply to FF4m3

This is excellent.

I'm going to get this for sure.

EQ

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to graysonf

My question is:
What happens when the free time frame ends? Does it lock up, making you pay for it?
I understand it's for a year, but I'd like to know if there is a hammer at the end of the year requiring me to pay.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I doubt there is any time bomb in it the program itself. The free support runs out after one year.

Even if the program is timebombed, so what? You got a free year.

No_Strings
The OC
reply to Snakeoil

According to the information on their site, you get a fully functional version (no time bomb, no limited features, etc.). In addition, you get one year of support which includes upgrades.

Once the support contract ends, the program should still work although you will not get free bug fixes. I'm sure they are betting on the fact that some people will like the software enough to buy a support contract in 12 months to guard against vulnerabilities and enjoy new features.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to graysonf

Because if I ditch playonlinux, I don't want to go back through reconfiguring everything all over again a year from now.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to No_Strings

k. I've been tempted to try Crossover before, but haven't because I found and use Playlinux. The cost was the deciding factor.

I'm still on the fence, and may not make the leap. I just don't know. *ugh*
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

No_Strings
The OC

Understood. I'm going to consider it a cheap learning experience ... which is a nice change. Most of my lessons come at a high cost.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH

I think, that Codeweavers/Crossover support Wine. Meaning they help develop it.

So any support they get is pretty good I guess.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to Snakeoil

Unless Crossover offers some capability you must have that is absent in PlayonLinux, then just stick with what you have.

No_Strings
The OC
reply to FF4m3

Got my registration email:

Flock The Vote: 2012

Thanks for participating in our Flock The Vote Software Giveaway.
We hope you’ve been enjoying your copy of CrossOver! As promised, as part of the Giveaway, you are also entitled to 12 months of support and updates. This email will make that happen.
Please follow the following steps:

1) Click on the unique registration URL contained in this email, which will take you to your own unique registration page.

»www.codeweavers.com/flockreg/...

2) Push the big red button. Our system will then create an account for you, and a 12-month support entitlement against that account. If you are already a CodeWeavers customer, your existing entitlement will be extended by 12 months.

3) That’s it!

After you’ve registered your CrossOver product, you can log into your account at any time with your email address and password. This is also how you will receive software updates (including the soon-to-be-released version 12 of CrossOver).

Thanks again for participating in our Giveaway. We hope you enjoy your copy of CrossOver.

Sincerely,
The CodeWeavers Team

Flock The Vote: 2012

To unlock your CrossOver registration follow the following link:

»www.codeweavers.com/flockreg/...

Santa Fe
Man is an animal that wants to exist.
Premium,Mod
join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to FF4m3

Thought about it, but A) Wine/PlayOnLinux works fine with anything Windows I've thrown at it, B) If I NEED windows, I just reboot & boot into it and C) I just plain forgot all about it till just now!
--
Explore Xubuntu. Like It? Install It. [Love It]!

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5
reply to FF4m3

Does anyone know if you can emulate Winamp with it?

laprjns
Premium
join:2002-03-11
Ellington, CT

Click for full size
said by kingdome74:

GILXA1226
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-29
Dayton, OH

1 recommendation

reply to kingdome74

said by kingdome74:

You can, however, there are a few native winamp style replacements for Linux that, IIRC, also can use winamp skins and plugins. »qmmp.ylsoftware.com/index_en.php is one that comes to mind.
--
We don't give a d@mn for the whole state of Michigan... we're from OHIO! O!H! ... I!O!

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
kudos:5

Oh yeah I forgot about that one. Thanks.

kleeman
Australian Expat

join:2000-07-29
Nyack, NY
kudos:3
reply to FF4m3

If you got hit by Sandy (like me) you can still get a free copy...
--
Aesthetics should be an inspiration not a pair of handcuffs

graysonf
Premium,MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to FF4m3

Some folks have grabbed the free copy and made it available via Bit Torrent.