dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017

Re: [WIN8] Biggest reinvention ever?

I find it ironic that all these people complaining about dumbed-down user interfaces are pointing to the Windows user interface as an example of a not-dumbed-down user interface.

Here is a user interface that does not insult your intelligence.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium Member
join:2005-03-01
Polar Park

vaxvms to rwizard

Premium Member

to rwizard
said by rwizard:

Sad to say, the biggest demographic in the retail computer market is not an intelligent, technically savvy (or business savvy) individual looking for a serious tool.

Refresh my memory. When was the last time the biggest demographic in the retail computer market was individuals looking for a serious tool.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
USA

DrModem

Premium Member

For simplophobes and changelophobes (And also intelligent technically savvy egomanics who need SERIOUS TOOLZ), there is always Linux.

Otherwise, you can just use the desktop, and proceed as usual.

mettachain
Goblineer
join:2011-09-27
Azeroth

mettachain to OZO

to OZO
said by OZO:

The classic windows UI does the job and does it efficiently (if it's not, usually it's because you don't know how to make so with the offered toolkit)...

Sounds you are unwilling to use all the tools available with the offered toolkit of Win8. Once you autored that sentence, your arguement became invalid and just another QQ post.

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

markofmayhem to vaxvms

Premium Member

to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

said by rwizard:

Sad to say, the biggest demographic in the retail computer market is not an intelligent, technically savvy (or business savvy) individual looking for a serious tool.

Refresh my memory. When was the last time the biggest demographic in the retail computer market was individuals looking for a serious tool.

Apple Lisa? Although it was "doomed to fail" because it had a "cartoonish oversimplified interface" compared to UNIX... thus was overpriced as it was slow, cumbersome to use, and not tailored to what computer users really wanted.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to mozerd

MVM

to mozerd
I don't think there is anything wrong with Microsoft entering the tablet, phone and device market. It actually makes a lot of sense and is a natural progression IMO. The problem is the one size fits all approach and making things compulsory when there technically was no need. But face it, if Metro wasn't compulsory most people probably wouldn't use it.

It's my guess that Metro AKA the new Windows UI will be something like Windows Access Control in that its first implementation will be new, in your face and something that takes a little getting used to. The next implementation could be much more refined, configurable, easier to use and a little more familiar / likable to the masses.

I don't expect Microsoft to back off this though. If anything they need to step up the OS release schedule and make smaller changes.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to mozerd

Premium Member

to mozerd
Fast Company likes the antiskeuomorphic approach.
Kerodo
join:2004-05-08

Kerodo to Octavean

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

I don't think there is anything wrong with Microsoft entering the tablet, phone and device market. It actually makes a lot of sense and is a natural progression IMO. The problem is the one size fits all approach and making things compulsory when there technically was no need. But face it, if Metro wasn't compulsory most people probably wouldn't use it.

Exactly... couldn't agree more....
SD178780872
join:2011-05-12

SD178780872 to 67845017

to 67845017
said by 67845017:

said by SD178780872:

It kind of proves a point when you say your wife can do this and you're speaking on her behalf. That is exactly the point being made here by some. Everything about W8 user-interface is over-simplified.

My opinion comes from running RC on a primary partition for two months.

SD

I don't understand the problem with simplifying for the user. Power users can still get in there and do what they need. Coming up with a single simple UI over all their devices is a great idea. If that requires simplification for the user, then I see no harm.

Simplification has worked for Apple brilliantly. Morons can and do use Apple devices. It caters to the lowest IQ. Simple business logic.

It's a UI designed for a touch interface, why isolate a big portion of your user base. Good luck on getting corporate and IT pro's to see the logic here.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

67845017 (banned)

We don't have a single touch device in the house (other than for non-Windows tabs). No one seems to have much of an issue at home with Windows 8 and keyboard and mouse control. The problem really only lies with all the IT experts around here. The normal user will get used to it with no problem--at least my user base ranging in age from 10 to 43 has and it's only been a few days.

Personally, all this angst seems manufactured to me. I perceive it more as a "Crap, I'm not the expert with Win 8. Whoa is me if I can't puff my chest out anymore as the Windows maven." All the self-called IT experts are the ones that fear change and forward movement. It's like the heavy-glassed nerds are losing control. Regular users struggle a bit, learn what they need and then move on with their lives. It happens all the time. Bitching and moaning by the "experts" while the regular users just march on.