Owen Sound, ON

2 recommendations

DKS to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA

Re: Generator doesn't work with Direct Vent Hot Water Heater

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by DKS:

said by nunya:

An "emergency" situation never constitutes doing stupid things. Quite the opposite. Don't create a "life or death" emergency trying to alleviate a "loss of comfort" situation.

Amen. Amazing how people want their comforts like hot water and A/C in the midst of a power outage. I can see wanting to run a fridge or freezer and a water pump on a well and maybe a stove, but a hot water heater?

I use my generator to heat my water for showers.

So why do you have a problem with that? There is nothing "amazing" about it. Why take cold showers when you don't have to?

Do you need a shower in the first place? Having been through many power outages over the years, some lasting days, I have discovered that a sponge bath is just fine. And soap, water and a wash cloth at any temp works just as well as anything warmer.

I would suggest that if this attitude is typical, people are going soft. Very soft.

TheTechGuru
join:2004-03-25
TEXAS

TheTechGuru

Some people need the generator for not only a water heater but a water well pump too.

Cold shower when it's below freezing outside and 40 degrees inside is a good way to become sick at a time you may not be able to get medical attention.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

Do you need a shower in the first place? Having been through many power outages over the years, some lasting days, I have discovered that a sponge bath is just fine. And soap, water and a wash cloth at any temp works just as well as anything warmer.

I would suggest that if this attitude is typical, people are going soft. Very soft.

Yeah, and I don't like to go camping, either; I like my modern conveniences. Tell you what: We'll all buy whatever capacity generators we want, to power whatever appliances we want (for me central air is good to have) and we'll leave the discussion about the technical details. Is that OK with you?

Frink
Professor
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Scotch Plains, NJ

Frink

Premium Member

Everyone's advice is totally appreciated, and I understand the risks completely. That being said, bathing my 2 & 3 year old this morning in water that would not make them scream made all of us a lot happier...

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to TheTechGuru

to TheTechGuru
said by TheTechGuru:

Some people need the generator for not only a water heater but a water well pump too.

Yes, I know. I would include a well pump as "necessary".

Cold shower when it's below freezing outside and 40 degrees inside is a good way to become sick at a time you may not be able to get medical attention.

How so? Wash quickly and dry off fast.
DKS

DKS to garys_2k

to garys_2k
said by garys_2k:

said by DKS:

Yeah, and I don't like to go camping, either; I like my modern conveniences. Tell you what: We'll all buy whatever capacity generators we want, to power whatever appliances we want (for me central air is good to have) and we'll leave the discussion about the technical details. Is that OK with you?

Capacity is part of the "technical details". There is always a limit to capacity.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by DKS:

Capacity is part of the "technical details". There is always a limit to capacity.

But your, or anyone's, opinion of what constitutes a reasonable amount of capacity, or what to power, is not a technical anything. As for limits, some people put in 40KW backups for their house, I doubt that's too limiting for most anything.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

1 recommendation

DKS to Frink

to Frink
said by Frink:

Everyone's advice is totally appreciated, and I understand the risks completely. That being said, bathing my 2 & 3 year old this morning in water that would not make them scream made all of us a lot happier...

Kids are resilient. I would suggest that not wanting to hear your child "scream" is a parental issue, not an issue of basic safety or child care. Besides, unless a child is in diapers or is sick, washing daily isn't an essential. Let them go dirty for a few days as a treat.
DKS

DKS to garys_2k

to garys_2k
said by garys_2k:

said by DKS:

But your, or anyone's, opinion of what constitutes a reasonable amount of capacity, or what to power, is not a technical anything. As for limits, some people put in 40KW backups for their house, I doubt that's too limiting for most anything.

Sure it is. The system is not unlimited. Capacity is limited by technical issues, number of appliances, real need and such tangible things as money. The response to the OP was generally that "What you want to do is unsafe". That's a technical limitation. So Plan B is?

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

How can you call me soft when I can and will take a hot shower regardless of a power failure. You can live with a dirty body as a sponge bath doesn't cut it or you would never take a shower and just "sponge" off.

Heating the water is no problem for me so why is it a problem for you?
Jack_in_VA

Jack_in_VA to garys_2k

Premium Member

to garys_2k
said by garys_2k:

said by DKS:

+1 What you said

Frink
Professor
Premium Member
Scotch Plains, NJ

Frink to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

said by Frink:

Kids are resilient. I would suggest that not wanting to hear your child "scream" is a parental issue, not an issue of basic safety or child care. Besides, unless a child is in diapers or is sick, washing daily isn't an essential. Let them go dirty for a few days as a treat.

Damn, I never saw a more appropriate use of a profile pic ...

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by Frink:

said by DKS:

said by Frink:

Damn, I never saw a more appropriate use of a profile pic ...

And how many children do you have?
DKS

DKS to Jack_in_VA

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by DKS:

How can you call me soft when I can and will take a hot shower regardless of a power failure. You can live with a dirty body as a sponge bath doesn't cut it or you would never take a shower and just "sponge" off.

Heating the water is no problem for me so why is it a problem for you?

"Just because I can..." is one of the most selfish, self-centered ways of thinking in this world. "Just because I can" doesn't mean you should... especially in an emergency situation.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by DKS:

"Just because I can..." is one of the most selfish, self-centered ways of thinking in this world. "Just because I can" doesn't mean you should... especially in an emergency situation.

That's too much out of context.

He's not being selfish to use his generator to power his water heater if it doesn't affect others negatively.

It's no more selfish than taking a shower when there's utility power.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

What's the emergency situation? It's not like I'm depriving others of limited power. It's my power and how I use it is up to me and hot showers is one of my priorities along with hot food, tv and internet.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Jack_in_VA:

hot food

THINK OF THE ETHIOPIANS!

Frink
Professor
Premium Member
Scotch Plains, NJ

Frink to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

I already discussed that I have two, a 2 and a 3 year old, both in diapers

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

tp0d to Frink

Premium Member

to Frink
said by Frink:

So you got it to work? Bonding N to GND did it?

-j

Frink
Professor
Premium Member
Scotch Plains, NJ

Frink

Premium Member

Click for full size
said by tp0d:

said by Frink:

So you got it to work? Bonding N to GND did it?

-j

Yup!

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

THINK OF THE ETHIOPIANS!

First the trunk-slammer electrical advice...

Followed up with off-topic racist stereotypes.

Classy.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by pike:

said by alkizmo:

THINK OF THE ETHIOPIANS!

First the trunk-slammer electrical advice...

Followed up with off-topic racist stereotypes.

Classy.

And what does this have to do with the topic?

GenNewbie
@rr.com

GenNewbie to Frink

Anon

to Frink
Thanks for the picture, worth at least 1,000 words! If I have a heavy duty plug head and some 12/2 romex already on hand, is there any reason I can't just make a similar cord up? I think that would allow me to make sure the hot prong and wire are isolated and maybe even remove the hot prong completely instead of having to cut it off? Sorry I'm cheap too.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Frink

to Frink
said by Frink:

said by DKS:

I already discussed that I have two, a 2 and a 3 year old, both in diapers

I have six children. I stand by what I said. Cold water will not hurt them one bit.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
Bulger, PA

tp0d to Frink

Premium Member

to Frink
Cool, glad to hear you fixed it.

power back yet? hope so

-j

Frink
Professor
Premium Member
Scotch Plains, NJ

Frink

Premium Member

said by tp0d:

Cool, glad to hear you fixed it.

power back yet? hope so

-j

Nope I am out until at least Monday, and I think that actually means Thursday given the chain of substations leading to my house I heard experienced severe damage. I waited on line this morning for 3 hours for gas, that was an interesting experience.

Regarding the advice I was provided from alkizmo - thank you alkizmo, we are really grateful for a simple comfort like that. I stated I would only be plugging in the HW heater for 20 minutes at a time, on its own, watching it and things around it like a hawk for the period, then disconnect the N/G bond wire. I wouldn't run anything in the rain, and the gene is on a wooden box elevated above the ground I built. My one flaw is the improper ground rod, but it was the best I could find at my local Home Depot Wednesday. I'll check for a better copper stake shortly.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
Bulger, PA

tp0d

Premium Member

what ground are you using for your building service? If you dont have a rod now, it would be a very good upgrade, and not too expensive to put the proper 2 in the ground. Safer..

when all this shit blows over, of course..

-j

Frink
Professor
Premium Member
Scotch Plains, NJ

Frink

Premium Member

said by tp0d:

what ground are you using for your building service? If you dont have a rod now, it would be a very good upgrade, and not too expensive to put the proper 2 in the ground. Safer..

when all this shit blows over, of course..

-j

Honestly I am not sure where the ground is in my home. I have not found any rods in the ground around my house, and I know my home pretty well. The only thing I have seen that comes close are green wires connecting to my water lines...definitely something I will be looking into when things are looking better.

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Frink:

Honestly I am not sure where the ground is in my home. I have not found any rods in the ground around my house, and I know my home pretty well. The only thing I have seen that comes close are green wires connecting to my water lines...definitely something I will be looking into when things are looking better.

Look at where your utility's neutral (Entrace cable) connects to your panel, then look for another big wire (But likely to be no bigger than #6, either colored green, or bare copper) attached right next to it (And that they aren't isolated from each others, so they probably are on the same metal bar). That should be your grounding conductor that goes to your ground electrode (copper pipe or rod).