Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Bellevue, NE
kudos:4
Reviews:
·ooma

Printing percentage sign in PHP

I've got an include that pulls from a CSV, and puts it into an array. I'm then outputting a table and calling two values from that CSV. The problem I'm having is that elsewhere in the table there are percentage signs. If those are included the whole thing grinds to a halt. Example:

$OutputHTMLTemplate = <<<EOHTML
<table class="col1">
<tr class="trtn"><td class="td1">Ticker Symbol:</td><td class="td2">XXXXXX</td></tr>
<tr class="trwh"><td class="td1">CUSIP Number:</td><td class="td2">XXXXXXXXX</td></tr>
<tr class="trtn"><td class="td1">Inception Date:</td><td class="td2">XXXXX</td></tr>
<tr class="trwh"><td class="td1">Total Net Asets (in millions):</td><td class="td2">XXXX</td></tr>
<tr class="trtn"><td class="td1">&nbspNet Asset Value (NAV) %s:</td><td class="td2">$%s</td></tr>
<tr class="trwh"><td class="td1">Expense Ratio:</td><td class="td2">2.3%</td></tr>
<tr class="trtn"><td class="td1">Portfolio Turnover:</td><td class="td2">20%</td>
</table>
EOHTML;

The Net Asset Value and Date are pulled from the array, but the percentage signs for the expense ratio and turn over make the whole table not print at all.

--
Blogsaus "Everyone bows to something. Everyone answers to someone. Wherever your treasure lies, there your heart will be also.

Who do you belong to? " - Andrew Schwab

JAAulde
Web Developer
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-09
Williamsport, MD
kudos:3

1 edit

1 recommendation

I assume you're running `$OutputHTMLTemplate` through `sprintf()` or something similar. If so, then as you know, `%` within the string tells `sprintf()` to replace it and its following specifier with one of the value parameters. If you desire a literal `%` to be outputted in your string and not included as one of the format directives to `sprintf()`, the documents say to use a double percent sign (%%).

So your code would look like:

$OutputHTMLTemplate = <<<EOHTML
<table class="col1">
<tr class="trtn"><td class="td1">Ticker Symbol:</td><td class="td2">XXXXXX</td></tr>
<tr class="trwh"><td class="td1">CUSIP Number:</td><td class="td2">XXXXXXXXX</td></tr>
<tr class="trtn"><td class="td1">Inception Date:</td><td class="td2">XXXXX</td></tr>
<tr class="trwh"><td class="td1">Total Net Asets (in millions):</td><td class="td2">XXXX</td></tr>
<tr class="trtn"><td class="td1">&nbspNet Asset Value (NAV) %s:</td><td class="td2">$%s</td></tr>
<tr class="trwh"><td class="td1">Expense Ratio:</td><td class="td2">2.3%%</td></tr>
<tr class="trtn"><td class="td1">Portfolio Turnover:</td><td class="td2">20%%</td>
</table>
EOHTML;

(notice the 2.3%% and 20%%)

I further assume the whole thing grinds to a halt due to an error being generated when the string you're giving is assumed to have 4 format directives but you're only passing 2 value params.

--
The Yakabox | My Development Sandbox | LinkedIn Profile

ProtusMose
Immortal. Eternal.
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Bellevue, NE
kudos:4
Reviews:
·ooma
vprintf is what's doing the output.

Actually, I'm pretty sure you wrote this last year. (The handling of the import) I'm just changing the output for a new version of the site.

The %% worked perfectly, so thank you for the second time.

Now I just have to figure out why the CSS isn't properly affecting the include the way it does if the table is planted straight in the page.
--
Blogsaus "Everyone bows to something. Everyone answers to someone. Wherever your treasure lies, there your heart will be also.

Who do you belong to? " - Andrew Schwab

JAAulde
Web Developer
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-09
Williamsport, MD
kudos:3
reply to JAAulde
Cool, glad it helped. I do remember writing that--only time I've ever used `vprintf()`! :P