how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hrh1951

join:2007-03-22
Syosset, NY

[ONT] Battery Back Up

I would appreciate it if someone knows the answer to this. I live on LI and of course I lost all power on Monday evening. Around 10 pm the battery started beeping so I disconnected it. My question is, when the power returns do I need a new battery, or any battery at all? I have digital voice, so the battery back up is worthless anyway. If I leave the battery disconnected will the system still work? Thanks.

Mac973

join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

The battery is rechargeable, so it will recharge when the power comes back on. The system should work fine with no battery, but I'm not sure if the low battery alarm will keep going off if the battery is completely disconnected.

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA
kudos:2

if power restores and you plugging back in the Battery back up unit doesn't restore service, verizon has an automated ont reboot for their website.

follow these instructions
»forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Te···p/276345

For an automated wizard to help with FiOS restoration, click here.
»www22.verizon.com/ForYourHome/VZ···NTReboot

Light Guy

join:2006-05-12
Somerville, NJ
reply to hrh1951

said by hrh1951:

I have digital voice, so the battery back up is worthless anyway.

Digital Voice is treated the same as Non- Digital Voice by the ONT and the BBU. »Difference between Verizon Digital Voice & Freedom Essential explains the differences.

Even if you have no Voice service at all he Battery Back UP (BBU) keeps the ONT from re-booting when there is a momentary loss of power.

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
reply to Mac973

said by Mac973:

The battery is rechargeable, so it will recharge when the power comes back on. The system should work fine with no battery, but I'm not sure if the low battery alarm will keep going off if the battery is completely disconnected.

You can do a 'permanent' silence of the alarm by pressing the button and holding it. We did that with Irene last year, when we lost power and the alarm went off at 3 AM. I think when power resumes, and the battery is recharged, and then you lose power again, you'll have to hit the silence button all over again.

alanisrox69

join:2005-03-29
LHV, PA

said by JPL:

You can do a 'permanent' silence of the alarm by pressing the button and holding it. We did that with Irene last year, when we lost power and the alarm went off at 3 AM. I think when power resumes, and the battery is recharged, and then you lose power again, you'll have to hit the silence button all over again.

That didn't work on my ONT. Thing still kept beeping. I tried holding the button for a few seconds, nada. Just beeps.

Generator solved that issue, but really? Can't silence the alarm?
--
CHECK YOUR FSLC TAXES!!!

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA
kudos:2

usually you cant stop the beeping unless you kill the battery alarm jumper, or simply pitch the 12 - 15 bucks and get yourself a new battery off amazon.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to alanisrox69

said by alanisrox69:

said by JPL:

That didn't work on my ONT. Thing still kept beeping. I tried holding the button for a few seconds, nada. Just beeps.

Generator solved that issue, but really? Can't silence the alarm?

Put the ONT BBU on another UPS, then the ONT BBU will not be used unless there is an extended power outage. In the 5+ years I've had FiOS I've always had my ONT BBU plugged into an APC UPS. I will get up to 18 hours of runtime from the APC UPS. So I've only needed to use the ONT BBU one time when we had a very long outage after the Derecho storm moved through here this past June.

After that the battery was basically shot so they replaced the entire ONT BBU and battery this past Summer with a newer one which is a much better design than the one from 2007.