uniqs

Dexter0
Premium Member
join:2003-08-07
Beverly, MA

Dexter0

Premium Member

Re: File a homeowner's claim or not?

The problem is.. I have no idea if there's any hidden structural damage. To be safe (and cover my a$$ should something come up in the future) I called my agent. The insurance company will send someone out to inspect things. Obviously I'm not going to go through with a claim unless they find something substantial.

The city did remove the tree at no cost to me. I've got a friend with an excavator that will come & rip the stump out, the root system obviously isn't very substantial. We had a stump ground a few years ago that left a big mushy spot in my lawn, so I'd rather get it out of there.

I appreciate all the responses!

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

said by Dexter0:

The problem is.. I have no idea if there's any hidden structural damage. To be safe (and cover my a$$ should something come up in the future) I called my agent. The insurance company will send someone out to inspect things. Obviously I'm not going to go through with a claim unless they find something substantial.

The insurance company isn't going to do shit cause it'll cost them money.

I'd suggest you to get a couple of contractors over to give you an idea of any issues they may see.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by Coma:

I'd suggest you to get a couple of contractors over to give you an idea of any issues they may see.

The adjustor will have to look at it, but I would never trust a pencil pusher to evaluate the structural soundness. The adjustor rates about the same as a home inspector...they are able to see glaring issues and might find a slightly concealed issue, but aren't going to find the hidden stuff that will bite you down the road.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

After Sandy: Tips on filing home insurance claims

quote:
In addition, New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island and 15 other states let insurers include deductibles in their homeowners' insurance policies in the event of a hurricane. Such deductibles vary from 1 percent to 5 percent of the insured value of the home. But each state makes its own determination on whether a storm will trigger those deductibles, so check with your state department of insurance to see if that will be a factor in your coverage.
Mine now is 1 percent but some have 5 percent. Depends on your insurance company and your relationship with it.

I can't speak for any other state, but here in NJ, the Department of Bankig and Insurance declared this a 'post-tropical cyclone' storm, and therefore, hurricane deductibles are not applicable by law.

That's great news - my standard deductible is $1,000, but hurricane is over $10k.

The only damage I sustained is my fencing all the way around the yard. The rear fence has missing panels now - it's mostly destroyed - and both side fences are leaning / wavy / broken.

I'm thinking it's claim time. I'm not heartbroken - they're ugly, so I'd like to replace them with a nice vinyl fence. If SF will help pay for that, all the better.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to cdru

Premium Member

to cdru
said by cdru:

said by Coma:

The adjustor will have to look at it, but I would never trust a pencil pusher to evaluate the structural soundness. The adjustor rates about the same as a home inspector...they are able to see glaring issues and might find a slightly concealed issue, but aren't going to find the hidden stuff that will bite you down the road.

You obviously don't know or have never had a substantial loss. The "pencil pusher" is actually a trained adjuster knowledgeable in the damage he or she is looking for.

After Isabel the adjuster for the flood insurance company came from Hawaii and knew what he was doing.
Jack_in_VA

Jack_in_VA to dennismurphy

Premium Member

to dennismurphy
said by dennismurphy:

said by Jack_in_VA:

After Sandy: Tips on filing home insurance claims

quote:
In addition, New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island and 15 other states let insurers include deductibles in their homeowners' insurance policies in the event of a hurricane. Such deductibles vary from 1 percent to 5 percent of the insured value of the home. But each state makes its own determination on whether a storm will trigger those deductibles, so check with your state department of insurance to see if that will be a factor in your coverage.
Mine now is 1 percent but some have 5 percent. Depends on your insurance company and your relationship with it.

I can't speak for any other state, but here in NJ, the Department of Bankig and Insurance declared this a 'post-tropical cyclone' storm, and therefore, hurricane deductibles are not applicable by law.

That's great news - my standard deductible is $1,000, but hurricane is over $10k.

The only damage I sustained is my fencing all the way around the yard. The rear fence has missing panels now - it's mostly destroyed - and both side fences are leaning / wavy / broken.

I'm thinking it's claim time. I'm not heartbroken - they're ugly, so I'd like to replace them with a nice vinyl fence. If SF will help pay for that, all the better.

Governors Promote Lower Deductibles for Homeowners

That's fine but be prepared for big rate increases on your homeowners policies.

Are you positive your policy covers your fence? Better check as mine doesn't.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by Jack_in_VA:

Wind damage (act of god) is covered by my policy. I've had 3 different companies over the last decade and all 3 cover wind damage (act of god). 2 years ago I had a tree fall through the fence. They would have covered the clean up and fence repair but it came out about the price of my deductible so I opted to handle it myself. I'd be pissed if I got some cut rate insurance that didn't cover wind damage (act of god) to a fence!!!!

Eyeballs
Premium Member
join:2000-04-25
Worcester, MA

Eyeballs to Dexter0

Premium Member

to Dexter0
Careful in MA. Inquiries, for some reason count as claims. Whether you actually get a check for the damage or not. Two claims and they cancel your policy, and your stuck going on the state plan, which is expensive.

If it's close to your deductible, don't even cal them.

dennismurphy
Premium Member
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

Governors Promote Lower Deductibles for Homeowners

That's fine but be prepared for big rate increases on your homeowners policies.

Yes, it does cover fences.

As for the rate increase - it shouldn't because of the claim.

If you mean across-the-board hikes, that may happen, but it's not because I'd file a claim.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to Eyeballs

MVM

to Eyeballs
said by Eyeballs:

There is a difference between directly calling a claims or customer service department at an insurance company and calling your insurance broker/agent (who may not be an employee of the insurance company).

Ideally you have a trust relationship with your broker/agent so that you can contact him for advise when needed.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to Eyeballs

to Eyeballs
said by Eyeballs:

Careful in MA. Inquiries, for some reason count as claims. Whether you actually get a check for the damage or not. Two claims and they cancel your policy, and your stuck going on the state plan, which is expensive.

Two claims in what period of time. I had half a roof replaced years ago. Then the full roof within the last couple years. Still have a policy at a decent rate. Now yes if it is close to the deductible I dont file a claim for small stuff.
My mom filed claims for everything and when we got POA her homeowners insurance price sucked big time. Still she was a proud long term customer and they paid her claims. Thing is her deductible and cost of the policy was ridiculous. Had a hard time re-insuring her at a semi normal cost.

Eyeballs
Premium Member
join:2000-04-25
Worcester, MA

Eyeballs

Premium Member

said by nonymous:

said by Eyeballs:

Two claims in what period of time. I had half a roof replaced years ago. Then the full roof within the last couple years. Still have a policy at a decent rate. Now yes if it is close to the deductible I dont file a claim for small stuff.
My mom filed claims for everything and when we got POA her homeowners insurance price sucked big time. Still she was a proud long term customer and they paid her claims. Thing is her deductible and cost of the policy was ridiculous. Had a hard time re-insuring her at a semi normal cost.

One person I work with had 2 claims in 3 years when he was dropped. One was a major claim, 20K in fire damage, the other was not. Under 2k.

mityfowl
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

1 edit

mityfowl to Dexter0

Premium Member

to Dexter0
duplicate

delete
mityfowl

mityfowl to Dexter0

Premium Member

to Dexter0
Two claims in 1 calender year got me bounced.

8 previous years with the same company and nary a claim before.

1 weather, 1 personal property (break in, robbed).

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to Jack_in_VA

MVM

to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

You obviously don't know or have never had a substantial loss. The "pencil pusher" is actually a trained adjuster knowledgeable in the damage he or she is looking for.

Several years ago we had a hail storm that came through and required replacement of our roof and siding. The claim was about $15k. Not huge, but not trivial either. I had to point out the hail damage on the roof, but once I did it was clear it was damaged. It's not difficult to find stories on the internet of similar cases where a roofer or other contractor had to work with the adjustor to substantiate the claim. Sure some of the cases I'm sure was the contractor was stretching things for their own benefit. But I'm sure in many cases it was also things that that the adjustor didn't know, see, or catch.

In Indiana, the requirements for an adjustor are fairly basic and require about a week of classes. I'm fairly confident that a week's worth of classes is not enough to learn everything there is to know about property damage.

I'll stand by what I originally said.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

And I'll stand by my observation. When the company brings in an adjuster from Hawaii then he's no run of the mill pencil pusher.

As far as a roof it's a standard depending on size and type of shingles. Siding also. Not rocket science

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to Dexter0

to Dexter0
They could fly in people from other places to help handle the volume or because they know the process better so they can handle stuff better. No one really knows why but you can't assume it means they have any more experience then the next guy just as you can't discount it. They bring in power workers from 2-3 states away when stuff like that happens. Is it because those people are better or have more experience? Nope! They just need them for the higher volume to get stuff done faster. I wouldn't read into out of state workers personally.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

You could say the same about figuring the cost of replacing shingles on a roof. Like I said not rocket science and the cost of shingles and labor is well known by insurance companies.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by Jack_in_VA:

You could say the same about figuring the cost of replacing shingles on a roof. Like I said not rocket science and the cost of shingles and labor is well known by insurance companies.

My point wasn't at the estimating the cost of what it takes to fix a repair. There are tables, formulas, and software not to mention experience to guide the adjuster there.

In the OP's case, the pane of glass and the gutter are pretty easy to see. The foundation may be a little harder. But what caused the foundation to crack? Was it compressive forces from the roof/wall down? Or sheer forces from a side impact? Was the footer damaged? Structurally was the wall, joists, or rafters damaged? Was any of the roof sheeting damaged but no outward signs of damage to the shingles? Was there water damage inside the wall?

The adjustor typically works for the insurance company. They have a vested interest in paying no more then absolutely necessary if they can. Feel free to just do whatever they recommend. I'd still get a 2nd and/or 3rd opinions from someone who uses their hands to do more than just pick up a clipboard, pencil, paper, and a tape measure.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by cdru:

The adjustor typically works for the insurance company. They have a vested interest in paying no more then absolutely necessary if they can. Feel free to just do whatever they recommend. I'd still get a 2nd and/or 3rd opinions from someone who uses their hands to do more than just pick up a clipboard, pencil, paper, and a tape measure.

That is not necessarily true. When the adjuster allows $3600 on a $4000 heat pump that's 8 years old he's not screwing the policyholder.

In the OP's case most adjusters are fully capable of making a determination. If not they will get expert opinions

I know from experience and don't share your negativism or this is the MO for cut rate companies.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to cdru

to cdru
said by cdru:

said by Jack_in_VA:

Several years ago we had a hail storm that came through and required replacement of our roof and siding. The claim was about $15k. Not huge, but not trivial either. I had to point out the hail damage on the roof, but once I did it was clear it was damaged. It's not difficult to find stories on the internet of similar cases where a roofer or other contractor had to work with the adjustor to substantiate the claim. Sure some of the cases I'm sure was the contractor was stretching things for their own benefit. But I'm sure in many cases it was also things that that the adjustor didn't know, see, or catch.

In Indiana, the requirements for an adjustor are fairly basic and require about a week of classes. I'm fairly confident that a week's worth of classes is not enough to learn everything there is to know about property damage.

I'll stand by what I originally said.

I did decent on my roof from the hail damage. they couldn't question it as the whole street was getting their roof done as was a whole bunch of places in Phoenix metro.
They even did well on the cost. So little work for roofers at the time that when this hit they jumped. Only issue we had was getting a real roofer. But since no rush as no leaks we found one and got in line. Local license and bonded not one that followed the storm. Though one out of another AZ town almost won us over.
Both were roofers though and not some other trade needing any work.

BronsCon
join:2003-10-24
Fairfield, CA

BronsCon to Dexter0

to Dexter0
It looks like Sandy not only downed your tree, it upped your lawn!!

bmilone2
join:2001-01-26
Mays Landing, NJ

bmilone2 to Dexter0

to Dexter0
Insurance premiums are cyclical based on large payouts that hit the insurance carriers. Many times after a large natural disaster such Sandy you will find that within a year to 18 months afterward homeowner premium costs will go up. The insurance Carriers make a determination as to what percentage of increase is needed to replace the payout over a certain period of time. Once they make up their "losses" rates start to fall again. It happened that way after Katrina and a number of years before that when Florida had multiple storms.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Dexter0

Premium Member

to Dexter0
I have had the same renters insurance (Traveler's) for almost ten years and I have a generous loss free credit that wards off any evil rate increases as I have been paying the same $16 per month since 2003. Insurance rates have gone up over the years with four hurricanes in Florida in 2004, the 2005 Hurricane season (hint: Katrina), the April 2011 tornadoes in the south, the Joplin tornado, the Springfield (MA) tornado, Irene, and now Sandy. These are all factored into the decision to raise rates for homeowners insurance as a whole. Check your insurance bill as you may have a loss free credit (which you may lose if you file a claim). I might have been able to recover lost food in the October snowstorm on my insurance but did not as it would give them an excuse to raise rates.

Several insurance companies decided to no longer underwrite insurance policies in Florida with it being the Sunshine (aka. Hurricane) state. It used to be difficult and expensive to get auto insurance in Massachusetts until some reforms at the state level kicked in.

When hurricane Andrew hit in Florida in 1992, I heard reports that insurance companies went bankrupt. I was only 8 years old at the time.

dennismurphy
Premium Member
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

Not all claims will count against you.

I had a claim for sump backup damage after Irene last year and my rate has not changed, and in fact, I still receive a Claim-Free Discount on my homeowners' policy.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by dennismurphy:

Not all claims will count against you.

I had a claim for sump backup damage after Irene last year and my rate has not changed, and in fact, I still receive a Claim-Free Discount on my homeowners' policy.

It also might depend on if the insurance company can subrogate with a third party (for example, if a faulty coffee maker that has been since recalled starts a fire and the insurance company pays the homeowner/tenant for the loss and then goes to recover the loss off the manufacturer).

I have been in many car accidents where I was NOT at fault and I filed a claim on my insurance and they go after the at fault driver's insurance. This process is known as subrogation. I live in a no-fault state so you have to file on your own insurance.

You cannot subrogate a weather loss since we cannot control the weather. As for your rates not going up, it depend on your contract with the insurer. Some will raise rates just for inquiring about whether to fie a claim (which I think the OP is worried about).