Search similar:

uniqs

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17

1 recommendation

Darknessfall

Premium Member

I knew Comcast's Performance tier was fast but...

Not this fast :P! Yay for glitchy speed readers .
DigitalStorm
join:2008-06-09
Ypsilanti, MI

DigitalStorm

1Gigabit would pull speeds that fast, but odds are, it was just a glitch in the speed counter. Your modem probably couldn't handle 1Gigabit. I have personally had Steam show me downloading at 811,000,000 MB/s.

Extide
join:2000-06-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Extide

No cablemodems have been released that can saturate 1gbit. Obviously it was a glitch.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
Looks like you could use extreme 105. Just ask if you can upgrade without a tech visit or the install fee.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

why does it look he could use it???

am i missing something...

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by gar187er:

Looks like his typical web use involves large files based on the picture. I have extreme 105/10 and it makes the web more enjoyable. It also makes software updates more tolerable. And I no longer have lag on YouTube or have the Internet slow down when mom is playing online games on the computer.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by IowaCowboy:

said by gar187er:

Looks like his typical web use involves large files based on the picture. I have extreme 105/10 and it makes the web more enjoyable. It also makes software updates more tolerable. And I no longer have lag on YouTube or have the Internet slow down when mom is playing online games on the computer.

Youtube streams (at most) at around 5.5 Mbps. You don't need 105 Mbps to stream youtube without buffering. Nor does online gaming consume much bandwidth (unless it's downloading updates), so I don't see how any of that makes any sense.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

4 edits

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Youtube only buffers on days where the Youtube servers may be a little slow. Also, I don't really need anymore speed. It's fast enough for me and most of the programs I use have streaming clients so I don't have to wait for it to finish before actually using it.

- And... wow... this thread surely got a lot of comments out of no where after days lol.

Also about the Youtube streaming: It usually bursts to around 26 Mbps then after it loads enough it drops down to about 4-24 Mbps.

Plus, we're getting Performance tier for 19.99 first year then 34.99 2nd lol. Much of a better deal than having to pay full 105 price :P. I barely also buffered on U-verse 3 Down tier when we had it(1080P was a buffer fest but 720p only buffered once and awhile). Online gaming outside of patches at times only uses about 0.05 Mbps.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

That's the nature of streaming media. It depends largely on the application and/or protocol, but ultimately it winds up being something like: BIG_BURST(buffer buffer buffer), lull period, BIG_BUSRT...I'm not entirely sure why this is "better" for the content providers, or it it's just an artifact of non-consistent streaming.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

said by gar187er:

so then everyone who online games, or owns a ps3 (updates) should get 105?

its not as if you cant do anything else in that 4-5 mintues while a piece of software is updating...
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
You wish maybe in 50 years you will see those speeds.

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Well I can now if I move to Kansas City lol. Maybe one day in the future it'll be Comcast's Performance tier :P.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Darknessfall

MVM

to Darknessfall
BTW - A blog item on the Multichannel News site last Friday:

AT&T Better Hope 100 Meg Does Not Become De Facto Anytime Soon
By Todd Spangler, Multichannel News - November 9, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/blo ··· ime-soon

Darknessfall
Premium Member

1 edit

Darknessfall

Premium Member

They need to just run fiber and get this over with :/.