»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur_radio

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

That works if you want to talk to random people on the other side of the world. Not so much if you want to get in touch with a specific person.

Not to mention that it requires getting a license from the FCC and a giant antenna.
--
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT

I'm sure the entire east coast isn't void of HAM's. Just get in contact with one and he could relay a message to someone that has working comms.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to Morac

said by Morac:

That works if you want to talk to random people on the other side of the world. Not so much if you want to get in touch with a specific person.

Not to mention that it requires getting a license from the FCC and a giant antenna.

License from the FCC is easy - you have to learn a few things (Morse Code is not one of them).

And you don't need a giant antenna - one of these:
»www.wouxun.us/category.php?category_id=54

would do well for local communications.

rradina

join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO
reply to Morac

»www.arrl.org/files/file/Hambands_color.pdf

Some frequencies require a large antenna but that's perhaps a classic opinion. There are lots of frequencies. In fact some are really prime and perhaps even envied by the wireless industry.

CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
kudos:2
reply to Simba7

That is exactly what happens during a disaster like this where other forms of communication don't work. There is a HAM present at each of the Red Cross emergency shelters specifically for this purpose as a matter of fact. If anyone is curious, do some research on ARES

As itguy05 said, the test is not too hard to pass for the basic level. Most of the guys use the 2 meter band with a walkie-talkie type radio (with a small antenna) or a mobile in the car for fairly local communication. The larger antennas are for lower frequencies that can go around the world. It is an extremely interesting 'hobby' with things like moon-bounce communications, digital modes, satellites, direction finding, 10+ GHz microwaves... I would have thought that more of the people in here would have been HAMs considering so many are technically minded.