share rss forum feed

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

4 edits
reply to Dexter

Re: File a homeowner's claim or not?

If your local agent* is user friendly, ask them to visit the damage site to discuss the issue without opening a claim file. A good agent will not only be helpful, but should explain in detail what your options are, before any claim would find it's way to the CLUE database, even as a $0 claim entry.

»www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs26-CLUE.htm

To blurt the obvious - having a current copy of your policy at hand would help them figure out your options so they don't have to retrieve it themselves. Wind damage and associated deductibles and coverage can be tricky and often specific coverage is offered ala carte to the insured as a separate issue within some homeowner's policies.

Forgive me for poking the hive, but policies vary widely by state, and are at their core - steeped in contract law. It is difficult at best for anyone but a rep of your carrier to advise you on anything beyond very basic info. I don't see how anyone can tell you what your future rates or other issues will be beyond MA state insurance law, and full knowledge of your specific policy.

I'm not trying to be controversial, just practical.

*If you call the carrier's 800 number / headquarters, a CLUE entry is likely to result, even as a $0 claim. The rep who answers the phone will want to know the details of your call, and will open a "file" on the call. Been there. Got a CLUE recording as a result even though I filed no claim and asked for no coverage.