dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

TheThing
join:2012-08-10

TheThing to atuarre

to atuarre

Re: Are you upgrading to Windows 8 on your gaming machine?

I'm going to upgrade my PC to Windows 8.

I want more bells and whistles that I'm not going to use.

AND I want my PC to run slower.

MS pushes OSes because they are in the business of making money off of OSes!!

They'll change interfaces and stop supporting older OSes, just to make money!

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
join:2004-02-14
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre

Premium Member

said by TheThing:

I'm going to upgrade my PC to Windows 8.

I want more bells and whistles that I'm not going to use.

AND I want my PC to run slower.

MS pushes OSes because they are in the business of making money off of OSes!!

They'll change interfaces and stop supporting older OSes, just to make money!

As other users have pointed out, Windows 8 is much faster.

Baud1200
join:2003-02-10

2 recommendations

Baud1200

said by atuarre See Profile...
"As other users have pointed out, Windows 8 is much faster. "

I wonder how many of these "other users" have been sitting on the same install of Win 7 for over 2 years without reinstalling... You would see a performance boost just by simply reinstalling a clean version of 7 this far in.

kcrupp
join:2002-02-11
Allen Park, MI

kcrupp

said by Baud1200:

I wonder how many of these "other users" have been sitting on the same install of Win 7 for over 2 years without reinstalling... You would see a performance boost just by simply reinstalling a clean version of 7 this far in.

Or maybe we have and Win 8 is faster?

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre to Baud1200

Premium Member

to Baud1200
I do clean installs multiple times every month, on both of my Windows machines. Not so much on any of my machines running Linux.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Wow, every month!? Why? Once I get everything setup the way I like it, I don't want it to change until the next OS comes out.

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium Member
EC/SETX SWLA

atuarre

Premium Member

said by urbanriot:

Wow, every month!? Why? Once I get everything setup the way I like it, I don't want it to change until the next OS comes out.

Always have, since Windows Vista. I buy a new computer every other year for gaming, and the former gaming computer becomes my second Windows machine. I just bought my new gaming PC this year, so next year, I won't, and in 2014, I will buy a new gaming machine. The old Windows machine, will become another Linux box, the (in 2014) old gaming machine, which is now my new machine, will becoming my old Windows machine, and the new gaming machine will take its place as the new gaming PC.

I just have always redone them, as clean installs, every so often. Games don't take long to reinstall, and anything important, like spreadsheets, files, etc, that I do on the other machine, are stored on network drives.

I love how fast Windows 8 is though. Can't get over that.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Wow, a new computer every other year? I'd like to be able to do that. I usually upgrade my GPU about that often. Still trucking away on x58, and I don't see a need switch (although I probably will when LGA 1155's replacement drops).

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

Wow, a new computer every other year? I'd like to be able to do that. I usually upgrade my GPU about that often. Still trucking away on x58, and I don't see a need switch (although I probably will when LGA 1155's replacement drops).

You do it more often than I do, I'm also running X58 still, and will until at least this time next year. GPU upgrades I do every two years or so (9800GT to 6870 to show the frequency interval).

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

I'm still in love with x58.

Uncle Paul
join:2003-02-04
USA

Uncle Paul to Baud1200

to Baud1200
said by Baud1200:

Or maybe people upgraded their old version of Windows 7 and find Windows 8 faster.