Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

5 recommendations

[FYI] Just Checking In

Just wanted to check in with everyone and let them know I'm okay. There's one McDonald's with a generator operating here so I'm on their wifi quickly trying to drop notes to my usual online haunts, while sitting in my car charging my electronics. Thank God for that electrical outlet in my car.

We lost power Monday evening and are not expected to get it back until next Monday. No heat, no hot water, no internet, no phone (I have a VOIP phone, not a landline one) and I can only occasionally get text messages out on my cell phone because cell service is sporadic. Been using my OnStar phone in my car to try to let people know I'm alive but the minutes are running out on that. Ditto with my cell phone minutes. Luckily, my stove is gas (though the electric ignition is out) and I can still light the burners and the oven to do some cooking and to get a little heat, but it was really cold last night.

Traffic lights and street lights are out around here. The big malls are closed. Schools are closed. Some supermarkets are open on emergency generators but no refrigerated/frozen foods are available. I'm going to cook what I can today and throw the rest out because there's no place to get ice here.

My sister saw a brief aerial video of where her shore cottage is, and it looks like it is intact, though nearby ones are damaged/destroyed. She doesn't know what kind of damage she might have because they're not letting people onto that stretch of the barrier island yet.

Don't know when I'll get back online, because I'm not going to do much driving over here because I want to save gas - no gas stations open locally.

Hope everyone else stayed safe.
--
Patriotism is not waving a flag, it is living the ideals

I want to retire to the Isle of Sodor and ride the trains.

SueS
Premium
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO
kudos:2
Glad you are ok, thanks for checking in.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
reply to DownTheShore
Thank God you're OK. I have been thinking of you and so many since the storm, and will do so for some time.

badd
Premium
join:2001-10-04
De Queen, AR
kudos:1
reply to DownTheShore
Good to hear that you are ok and hope things start looking better for you soon.
--
Just another day in Paradise

GeekGirl1
Premium
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA

1 recommendation

reply to DownTheShore
Hang in there. Do you know your neighbors? Take a look what I did: »Re: Philly suburb

Maybe you can do something similar? Just a thought, especially if you have extra food.

CCat
We're all quite mad here
Premium,MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland
kudos:18
reply to DownTheShore
Glad you're OK...

Hope everything gets fixed soon...My thoughts are with you.
--
I Live In My Own World, But It's OK.....They Know Me There.

richdelb
Go Hawks Go
Premium
join:2003-01-22
Algonquin, IL
reply to DownTheShore
So glad you are ok !!

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
reply to DownTheShore
Glad to hear it as well. I'm late checking on people here, but the storm kept me from a lot of other things that I had to get done.

krazyboi
Premium
join:2008-06-27
Mckinney, TX
kudos:1
glad you are ok!

Jodokast96
Stupid people really piss me off.
Premium
join:2005-11-23
Erial, NJ
Thanks. We were really never in any danger of anything, but it's nice to hear the concern.

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
Beautiful NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

2 recommendations

reply to DownTheShore
Thank you, PSE&G! The power is back on!

Boy, I didn't expect that, I was sure that it was going to take longer to get the power back on. Went to my local A&P yesterday which was open and operating on emergency power (they were removing all of the refrigerated and frozen foods) to buy non-perishables that I now, thankfully, have no immediate need for.

Finally got to see all the images of the storm destruction, and I'm literally in shock. Seeing that breakthrough of the ocean to the bay at Mantoloking just makes me sick. I drove that way all the time when I went down the shore. Further down the island, all of the ocean front cottages where my sister has her place, were destroyed. From aerial views that I've seen, it looks like her place is still intact, but there's no way to get there to check it out. All that damage at Seaside Heights; that's destruction of our childhood memories. A friend of the family lost her home in Ortley Beach; it was pushed off its foundation and into a neighboring house; the newer house next to it is just a pile of rubble.

Thanks to everyone who offered well-wishes, and I hope that everyone who still isn't able to get online is staying safe.
--

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT
reply to DownTheShore
I used to hang out at Point Pleasant and Seaside Heights. They will never be the same. My thoughts are with you.

O.
--
Windsor, Home of the 2012 Yard Vermin Olympics

Pistolpete
Premium
join:2006-03-06
4,000 Holes
kudos:4
reply to DownTheShore
I am always calling the crappy weather here in the UK but I guess we haven't got it that bad when you consider what has just happened to you.Glad to hear you are ok

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
Beautiful NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to DownTheShore
We saw another aerial image of the cottage and a window on the north side of it is completely gone - so that means there's a lot more interior damage than we thought. Which will be exacerbated by the nor'easter and any further storms, not to mention the high likelihood of the pipes and water heater freezing and cracking as the temperature drops.

On another note, the Army Corps of Engineers has been hard at work on the Mantoloking inlet break, trying to seal it up and reconstruct Rt.35 to allow southward access. Looks like the bridge might still be usable in the future. Here are some images:

--

HFB1217
The Wizard
Premium,ExMod 2000-01
join:2000-06-26
Camelot
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to DownTheShore
Click for full size
Isle of Sodor:

Sodor is a fictional island in the Irish Sea used as the setting for The Railway Series books by the Rev. W. Awdry, and later used in the Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends television series.
--
*****aka The WIZARD *****A Founding member of Seti BBR Team Starfire***

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
Beautiful NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to DownTheShore
Ah, Sodor. Where hurricanes never cause massive destruction....

Just got a call from my sister tonight - her home neighborhood finally had the power turned back on. It was off for 14 days.

She still hasn't been allowed to visit her shore cottage yet and assess the damage to that; hopefully, it'll be sometime in the next week and a half. We're hearing reports that if water got in, mold is growing, and we know that one of her windows blew out during the hurricane - frame and all.
--

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
Beautiful NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to DownTheShore
Just to give the final results on this -

My sister was finally able to go onto the barrier island today. The window we thought was blown out, actually wasn't, but one of the panes of one of the windows facing the ocean was. Based on the interior water line, she had about 3 inches of water in the cottage. But the worst news is that the slab the cottage is on cracked down the middle, separated from the house sill and dropped about 6 inches below the cottage walls. She's thinking, from other indicators, that the sewer line in the street and the connection to the cottage collapsed, creating a sinkhole that the ocean water that was flowing down the street further exacerbated. The only good thing about the situation is that the gap around the base of the house has allowed air to circulate, so the mold situation wasn't as bad as she thought it was going to be, and it also allowed whatever water that got into the cottage to drain out.

The irony of this is that this is one of the few types of construction repairs that my B-I-L and nephews won't be able to do on their own, since it's probably going to involve jacking up the cottage and either repouring a slab or putting in a foundation and crawlspace. A contractor acquaintance said that the going rate for that kind of repair is $20,000.

She said that the damage in the area is much more widespread when seen from the ground. Streets in her community are hard to get through because of all the soft beach sand in the roadways and various sinkholes. Lots of cottages have damage to roofs and siding. The ocean front cottages are basically all destroyed, the row of cottages behind them are all damaged. Cottages closer to the bay were all flooded.
--

Sign the petition: »www.change.org/petitions/target-···ksgiving

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Thanks for the up-date and good luck.

--
November is National Epilepsy Month