share rss forum feed

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
reply to Archivis

Re: Are you upgrading to Windows 8 on your gaming machine?

But they're not as user friendly as iOS or Windows. They need to be if they want to pierce through.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
They're much closer than you would think. There are several builds out there that are very close and the support communities are much better than say... the League of Legends community.

Linux isn't necessarily for the grandma, but for an enthusiast, it could be. If a company like Valve can package a Steam product to run flawlessly on Linux, then the ease of use is identical to Windows or iOS.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
I find the new Linux releases to be very user friendly and easy to use.

And Linux community has had the best support I've ever seen.

Only downside is there just isn't too much software still, so getting something to meet your needs might be a bit harder to find, or if you do find, it might require some effort to compile, install, etc.

But overall, there has been a HUGE jump from 5 years ago and it's still continuing to rapidly improve.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
Google has helped this jump immensely over the last few years.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TigerLord
said by TigerLord:

But they're not as user friendly as iOS or Windows. They need to be if they want to pierce through.

There are some distros that are aimed specifically at people switching from Windows... so the effort is being made that's for sure.

Also worth mentionning... a learning curve is a learning curve. If you spent as much time on Linux as you do on Windows you'd know it as well as Windows.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

TigerLord
For Value Received
Premium,Mod
join:2002-06-09
Canada
kudos:8
I understand your rationale, but the only reason I haven't dabbled into Linux so far is because what I use a PC most for is gaming and work, both of which are better accommodated in Windows.

I'd love to use Linux more, but don't have the time to deal with the hassle of dual booting.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
said by TigerLord:

I'd love to use Linux more, but don't have the time to deal with the hassle of dual booting.

You could create a live distro with unetbootin + a live distro of your choice.

Knoppix is a distro that's intended to be used live rather than installed you could give that a go.

I use K/X/Ubuntu live all the time to fix and recover friends' borked Windows machines.

If you don't want to dual boot but still use Linux; live is the way to go, you can go Wubi as well (where you install Linux within Windows) but I really don't like it.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5
said by El Quintron:

said by TigerLord:

If you don't want to dual boot but still use Linux; live is the way to go, you can go Wubi as well (where you install Linux within Windows) but I really don't like it.

I'll second disdain towards Wubi.

Another alternative is virtual machine. Because games require more dedication, Windows is usually my host OS. I have many, many different flavors of Linux within vdi files all over my house. I dual boot Windows 8 and Arch, with Virtual Box in both that utilize shared .vdi's to help test development.

As I only use Windows for DirectX games, mainly, Windows 8 was a nice upgrade. With all the games on the tiles, I boot, pick and am in enjoying it much, noticeably much faster than any other version. It really does feel like a gaming appliance now, I thought that would bother me, but it doesn't. If I want to tinker, hack, or get my geek on: Linux is there. If I just want to game, I'm 16-24 seconds from power button to in-game menu with Windows 8.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix