spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DLpres

join:2011-05-02
Los Angeles, CA

How reliable & mature is Ethernet over Copper? (TelePacific)

We got a competitive offer from TelePacific, 10/10Mbps Ethernet over Copper (Metro Ethernet). Like everyone, they want to lock us into a 3-year contract, otherwise the price isn't worth it.

Our current service is fixed wireless (WiMAX) and has been very reliable.

The main question, then, is how reliable is the service? If you have EoC or have experience with it, how mature and hassle-free is the technology compared to other enterprise internet solutions?

horelcool

join:2012-11-02

i have to share my views o EoC:

it is too matured and reliable
main advantage of Ethernet circuit it is much easier to upgrade. With the traditional bonded T1, an upgrade in circuit speeds can take months as the local phone company has to drop additional loops. With an Ethernet circuit, the port speed can often be increased with a “click of a button”.
Another great advantage is that Ethernet over Copper is delivered over copper pairs of DS0 so EoC does not require expensive fiber build outs. In non technical terms: it runs over plain old copper telephone wires.
Ethernet over Copper pricing is much lower than that of bonded T1 circuits.
It is actually just as reliable, if not more. EoC circuits have a SLA (Service Level Agreement) just like T1 lines most often with the exact same conditions. Also, it runs over multiple pairs of copper. When one pair goes down, the bandwidth available does drop but you don’t loose the whole circuit as you would with a t1.

So I definitely wouldn’t worry about reliability or uptime.

TeleServPro
Premium
join:2009-08-24
reply to DLpres

EoC is a commercial grade technology: dedicated, symmetrical, full duplex, etc., thus as reliable as T1s..
VS. DSL/Cable broadband, which is consumer grade: shared, asymmetrical, no SLA, etc.

And also like T1, the bandwidth you're quoted is what you'll receive (minus a bit for overhead, e.g. 10 megs will be more like 9.5-9.75). Compared to DSL/Cable speeds, which are considered 'best effort' -not dedicated. For example their 10 meg service might actually turn out as 6, 7, 8 on any given day or time of day.

What prompts your decision to move from Fixed Wireless to EoC? Or will one of them become an added backup line?

pjay

join:2000-12-20
Ridgewood, NJ
reply to DLpres

A client has a Broadview Ethernet over Copper Internet connection in Manhattan, NY. Provisioned at 5x5Mbit. There is supposed to be some redundant copper in the mix. We have had several major slowdowns and outages during which the (aggregate) circuit pings fine both from the outside-in, and from the inside to a site on the 'net. But when we're having these issues, under load - that is, as traffic on the circuit is increased - the thing just comes apart; slowing down and even stopping entirely. We complain to Broadview and it gets better for awhile (sometimes weeks or months), but something repeatedly seems to go wrong. And resetting our CPE usually doesn't help. Not sure where these issues lie, but they certainly are annoying. FYI this circuit costs around $ 500/month. The contract is now month-to-month, but it was originally 2-3 years.

TeleServPro
Premium
join:2009-08-24

How long has this problem been going on- throughout the entire contract, or just within the past year or so?

Over time copper can degrade (especially in areas with extreme weather) leaving only one real solution...replacing it. Faulty copper can cause the issues you're having..

Also, have you tried getting the CPE changed out for a new one?

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to pjay

said by pjay:

But when we're having these issues, under load - that is, as traffic on the circuit is increased - the thing just comes apart; slowing down and even stopping entirely.

Are you sure the problem is not the link failing but rather becoming saturated due traffic? Physical circuit problems would most likely manifest constantly not just a a result of heavy utilization.

Have you called the provider and asked for a circuit utilization report? That will tell you if the link is too small.

/tom

pjay

join:2000-12-20
Ridgewood, NJ

Answer to both replies:
Since the last round of issues, the circuit is much better without them changing the CPE. I have not called for a utilization report, but since things have been so much better, I'm going to leave things alone for now.

BTW when that last "round" began, I shifted the traffic to our Time Warner Cable Internet connection, and that circuit handled the load just fine, so I'm confident that the problems were connection-related and not traffic-related.