spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MikeBtp
join:2012-10-30
Lake Mary, FL

MikeBtp

[CFL] Questions before Moving to Brighthouse from DirecTV-Orland

About ready to move to Brighthouse cable (Central Florida-Lake Mary area) from DirecTV (which I've had for 13 years) but have a few questions:
1. How is the HD video quality? Is 1080i available regularly? How about 1080p availability?
2. Does Dolby Digital audio work well consistently (no skips, no glitches, in sync with video)?
3. Any outages and if so, how often and how long?
4. Is there a search feature and, if so, how far into the future does it search and can you setup a recording for future programs?
5. Is there a specific DVR model that works better than others?

DirecTV's quality and service have been gradually getting worse over the years and I'm ready to make a change. My other choices, besides Brighthouse, are Comcast/Xfinity and AT&T U-verse soon. I'm leaning towards Brighthouse and understand their guide is not very good but I can possibly live with that although the guide and search feature of DirecTV were very good.

If anybody has moved from DirecTV to Brighthouse, could you give me your impression?

gimme5
join:2002-12-23
Kissimmee, FL

gimme5

Re: [CFL] Questions before Moving to Brighthouse from DirecTV-Or

1. I don't think there's anything in 1080p currently, I believe it's all 1080i or 720p.
2. Can't comment.
3. I can't remember the last time we've had an outage. No rain fade. (obviously), which was very common when we had direcTV.
4. Yes, you can search, not sure how far in advance.
5. Not sure.

I've switched from DirecTV for 2 reasons: I've had a lot of rain fade with DirecTV. I've had DVRs die and DirecTV required a new 2 year contract in order to replace them. With BHN, if there's an equipment issue, you can just drive to the office and get it fixed right away.

What I miss from DirecTV: Better DVR software, 30 second-skip feature, lower price.

What I like on BHN: No contract, no rain fade, problems fixed quickly, no charge if you need to dispatch someone for a technical issue.
Nayan3
join:2012-08-15
Melbourne, FL

Nayan3 to MikeBtp

to MikeBtp
1) For me it's excellent. it is 1080i and as of last count we have well over 200 channels in HD
2) I've never had an issue with skipping or out of sync
3) The only time I've ever had an outage for an extended time was back in 2004 when the hurricanes hit.
4) 7 days and yes the boxes have series record
5) I had a Cisco box that worked nice

They (BH) just did a guide update and while it's nothing compared to DirecTV it allows you to sort by favorites and HD only. Hope this helps you and welcome to BH!
wbrightfl
join:2004-07-15
Fort Lauderdale, FL

wbrightfl to MikeBtp

to MikeBtp
I recenty switched to BH from Dish and was pleasantly surprised.

Pros: Central Florida BH has a good amount of HD programming and the picture quality is excellent. Another plus is BH offers all of the local sub-channels, some of which are great channels. Dish doesn't carry any local sub-channels.

Cons: The Cisco DVRs I have worked well but the programming guide is quite disappointing compared to Dish and Direct. I was thinking of getting my own TIVO so I could go back to using a well-developed guide but haven't yet done it. I miss the way Dish showed the SD and HD version of a channel on the same channel number. Example HBO on channel 300. If you have a HD receiver it shows it in HD, a SD receiver it shows in SD. Much easier to remember channel numbers and so many less channels to browse through on the guide.

Overall I am happy I moved to BH. I can deal with the crappy guide for now. Hopefully BH is listening to the feedback from the members unhappy with the guide to create something more user friendly.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to MikeBtp

Premium Member

to MikeBtp
Mike when you are ready to make the swtich let me know and I will have a sales professional call you at your convenience.
MikeBtp
Lake Mary, FL

MikeBtp

Thanks for all the info. BHNtechXpert I will contact you when I'm ready. Have some credit to use up.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to MikeBtp

Premium Member

to MikeBtp
MikeBtp
Lake Mary, FL

MikeBtp

To BHNtechXpert:

I thought I sent this message several hours ago but it still hasn't shown up so maybe I didn't post it. If this is a duplicate, please forgive me,

I want to get Brighthouse TV installed on Friday Dec. 7 (as long as we agree on pricing, products, etc.). You can have somebody contact me anytime before then but I need a private way to get you my phone number please.
Thanks,
Mike
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to MikeBtp

Premium Member

to MikeBtp
Email me directly at BHNtechXpert@mybrighthouse.com

Yes that was intentionally left for all to see...