Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FF4m3

@rr.com

Patent Troll Claims Invention Of Windows 8 & Phone 'Tiles'

Patent troll claims it invented the Windows 8 and Windows Phone "tiles":

A company with a few patents but no products to its name—meeting the common definition of a "non-practicing entity" or "patent troll"—has sued Microsoft, claiming to have invented the tile-based interface used in Windows Phone and Windows 8.

Known as SurfCast and based in Portland, Maine, the company's website shows that it has only one thing on its mind—patent litigation. The home page describes its "Operating System technology" without referencing any actual products, while the site's "News" section contains only one item—the lawsuit (PDF) filed yesterday against Microsoft in US District Court in Maine.

"We developed the concept of Tiles in the 1990s, which was ahead of its time. Microsoft’s Live Tiles are the centerpiece of Microsoft’s new Operating Systems and are covered by our patent," SurfCast CEO Ovid Santoro says in a quote posted on the site.

SurfCast is asking the court for an order declaring that Microsoft directly infringed its patent and induced others to do so. SurfCast did not ask for an injunction preventing the sale of any Microsoft products. Instead, it wants "Microsoft to account for and pay to SurfCast all damages caused to SurfCast by reason of Microsoft’s patent infringement."

Microsoft responded to us with a short statement reading “We are confident we will prove to the court that these claims are without merit and that Microsoft has created a unique user experience.”

GoodluckD

@centurytel.net
Good luck on winning cause aol made them in the 90s too.
Microsoft Windows 8 copies AOL 1996 Design
»obamapacman.com/2012/05/ ··· -design/

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:18
reply to FF4m3
The Verge write-up of Patent Troll Surfcast is here

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3
I knew, that the new Windows 8 design looks like an old one from 90s...

Discussed also: [WIN8] Windows 8 already in Patent lawsuit crosshairs
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

DownTheShore
RIP tmpchaos
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3
I thought Microsoft copied all its Windows features from Apple....

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

reply to OZO
said by OZO:

Oh yeah, it's deja vu all over again. And after Windows has nagged me for years to clean my desktop, now they want to litter it with old looking crap.

FF4m3

@rr.com
reply to DownTheShore
said by DownTheShore:

I thought Microsoft copied all its Windows features from Apple....

Yep. And Apple copied its features from Xerox.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
kudos:1
reply to FF4m3

There's always someone out there wanting to ride the free gravy train.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3
Can we just blow the patent office up as they have become worse then useless.

Blake

OZO
Premium

1 recommendation

reply to goalieskates
said by goalieskates:

said by OZO:

Oh yeah, it's deja vu all over again. And after Windows has nagged me for years to clean my desktop, now they want to litter it with old looking crap.

You know what? I remember that Windows XP always had problem with caching icons on desktop. By default the cache had limited size and if user placed lot of icons on its desktop he usually eventually faced with problems. m$ recommended to clear the space form clattering icons then... I remember the hack how to increase the icon's cache size and how to resent the cache if it's needed. But I've decided to go other way - to listen and clear up my desktop form all icons. And I did. I moved shortcuts in well organized folders that are easily accessible from taskbar. So, my desktop shows nice wallpaper picture and is icon-free...

Now they indeed try to resurrect that back... Weird.

The new tile interface now looks childish to me . And because it's all around tiles now, may be we better start calling that OS - "Tiles 8" instead of "Windows 8"?
--

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
that would only work if it was Tiles XP

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

reply to Link Logger
said by Link Logger:

Can we just blow the patent office up ...

Uh oh! Now you've done it. Bob's on the line to CSIS...
--
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!" -- P.Henry, 1775

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to FF4m3
What is SurfCast and can it spoil Microsoft's Windows 8 party?
quote:
SurfCast is a fresh face in patent litigation that's targeting Redmond's new Tiles concept. But the outfit is familiar to Microsoft, which cited it 47 times in its own patent applications.
Article

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

1 recommendation

no disrespect, but CNET in this context is pretty much guaranteed to be a microsoft shill.
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
reply to Blackbird
said by Blackbird:

Uh oh! Now you've done it. Bob's on the line to CSIS...

I let the call go to voice mail. Some people think that CSIS means Canadian Security Intelligence Service, but this is Canada so it actually meant "Chuck, Sam, Ian and Sue" who were the original Canadian Security Group (its Canada we only needed 4 and even then that really was too many as really we don't give a sh*t what happens in other countries, just don't bring it to Canada otherwise your going to get a cross check across the teeth and your sweater pulled over you head and a beating happily delivered by any hoser that happens to be around), but since the budget cutbacks, all the CSIS calls go through to my home phone now.

Blake
Be careful while visiting Canada anymore as the hosers are a tad edgy because of the hockey strike so they are not getting their regular dose of hockey violence to pacify them.
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to AVD
Could be, AVD See Profile, that was borrowed from elsewhere and I would not use the CNET article as a primary source of information in the thread.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to OZO
said by OZO:

... and how to resent the cache if it's needed.

And you've been resenting it ever since, it seems.

OZO
Premium
You got me... Some of my fingers added (silently and without permission, I swear) the extra 'n' right in the middle of the word. May be it knows something, that I don't...
--

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to norwegian
said by norwegian:

There's always someone out there wanting to ride the free gravy train.

Not forgetting Righthaven

KodiacZiller
Premium
join:2008-09-04
reply to FF4m3
I love it. M$ getting a taste of its own patent trolling medicine.