share rss forum feed

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to Merry1

Re: Cisco router advice

Tell your VoIP provider to jump into a volcano, and take that EdgeMark crap with them.

The 2911 will certainly handle the routing. However, any content inspection -- blocking a specific application -- will not be doable to any level of satisfaction on the router. It'll only partly work, and significantly slow down the router. If you have licenses for Websense, then continue using it. I'm not sure about IOS integration, but the ASAs (firewalls) do support it.

Merry1
Premium
join:2004-05-27
Lancaster, PA

said by cramer:

Tell your VoIP provider to jump into a volcano, and take that EdgeMark crap with them.

LOL
Your response made me chuckle, but I am curious about it. Are you saying to avoid VoIP altogether (if so, why)? What is wrong with EdgeMarc equipment? The VoIP provider didn't suggest using this as a dedicated/main router. It's sole purpose to my knowledge is to provide some bandwidth shaping/prioritization, so "non-essential" traffic doesn't impact critical traffic (e.g. VoIP). If you have experience with VoIP and/or EdgeMarc, I'm interested...

Thank you!

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Callcentric

Edgemarc is not ranked as a good voip products... Shaping and prioritization i.e. QoS is available on almost all business class routers, so it's a no brainer... Cisco has WCCP which redirects the web traffic to another proxy server so I suggested Juniper for its integrated UTM feature with websense...

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to Merry1

EdgeMark I'll give you a few mintues alone with Google.

*pause*

They are made for and marketed exclusively for service providers. The end-user has zero avenues for support, documentation, or software -- it all has to go through the ISP. As a result (i.e. due to only the ISP engineers who had no say at all in their selection, and are banned from speaking in public), They. Completely. F***ing. Suck. Megapath threw one at us for a T1; the result was a 1Mbps T1. Remove that junk and it works at full speed. (the previous SpeakEasy Samsung router was perfect, but megasuck forced us to replace it.)

For it to do any QoS, it has to be in-line, or totally in control of your connection.