uniqs
share rss forum feed

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

I admire the tenacity to even bother.

My guess is now they will look for a more permanent solution such as relocation of fuel pumps from the basement level. Most likely outside and elevated while enclosed.

Their updates suggest their fuel supply was exhausted and that they would be failing shortly. This was yesterday afternoon, so I assume they went dark.

--
"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." -- Benito Mussolini

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON
kudos:3

They are still up and running, they have been carrying buckets up 17 floors for the past 28 hours or so.
--
Broadline Networks Inc.

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

Wow.

Good for them.

talz13

join:2006-03-15
Avon, OH
reply to KrK

Yes, the redundant (load balanced?) servers should be hosted in other areas of the country.

Just for my own education (we were working with some load balancer stuff at work), can you load balance load balancers? What happens if your load balancer goes offline? Is that something that you can really distribute across a geographic area?

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
reply to KrK

Then they might need backup generators for the fuel pumps or those wouldn't work in the event of a power outage. That happened to a hospital in NYC.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to talz13

The most basic form of load balancing is DNS round-robin, and DNS requires multiple redundant name servers for any domain by default (two is the minimum, I believe). So if you're using DNS round-robin (which is as simple as just specifying more than one IP address for a hostname), you can already survive one of your "load balancers" going down.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to rcdailey

said by rcdailey:

Then they might need backup generators for the fuel pumps or those wouldn't work in the event of a power outage. That happened to a hospital in NYC.

It was only a small hopsital too *sarcasm* (New York University Hospital) which required 215 patients to be evacuated, tying up dozens of ambulances. Coney Island Hospital also lost backup power.

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
reply to talz13

DNS round robin is one way, as another poster has pointed out. There are lots of references on the Web which you can check out. The Ultramonkey project is one such that makes it easier to set up load balancing on RPM based Linux systems. It is basically a "distro" of LVS (Linux Virtual Server). LVS not only checks the health of the servers being load balanced but also (optionally) has a hot standby LVS machine. The key here is there is some way of periodically sending an "are you working?" message to other LVS machine(s) (could be over the network, could be a serial link), and failing over if the other LVS machine seems dead (IP address/MAC address/ARP takeover, that sort of thing). In the router realm, there is HSRP and VRRP, which is similar in concept of having hot standbys. There is also anycasting, which is used, among other things, for the root nameservers. Some root nameserver goes offline or gets DDoSed? No problem, just update the routing tables (BGP I assume) to send the traffic other places, or even to servers which are network-wise closest to the client which is querying.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA

1 recommendation

The only issue with that though is that there will still be downtime unless you have the backup site designated as a hot-standby or is always online as a failover since BGP is notoriously slow to update routes (important for the internet).

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105

Oh sure. There's almost always going to be some downtime. But hopefully it can be measured in seconds or minutes as compared to days or weeks for something like a (utility) power outage. It all depends on the engineering chosen.

BTW, thanks for that. I knew of the technology (BGP), but I have no practical experience in having to reroute traffic.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

said by rchandra:

Oh sure. There's almost always going to be some downtime. But hopefully it can be measured in seconds or minutes as compared to days or weeks for something like a (utility) power outage. It all depends on the engineering chosen.

BTW, thanks for that. I knew of the technology (BGP), but I have no practical experience in having to reroute traffic.

No problem. For BGP failover it depends on the peers (have to match timing) and varies depending on provider. BGP still fails-over in a matter of minutes though for the most part (Cisco's default timer is 3 minutes I believe), but is still slower than say EIGRP or OSPF which is almost instantaneous. A lot of organizations also run BGP internally if they have a large enough network.

Edit: »www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.c···ting.htm

»www.petri.co.il/csc_what_is_bgp.htm

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to rcdailey

said by rcdailey:

the fuel pumps went underwater
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--