spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

daake07

join:2011-06-28
Kearney, NE

Poor planning on behalf of the hosting company.

This is what they deserve for not creating redundancy. I don't care how small you are, if you are hosting any data you must assume it is mission critical for someone and down time is not acceptable.

This is why people are trying to relocate data centers inland where the only issue is tornadoes and you can make a building to withstand that.

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON
kudos:3
Redundancy for what? They have multiple datacenters throughout N/A. This is one site that is having the issues due to the flood.
--
Broadline Networks Inc.

mmay149q
Premium
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX
kudos:48

1 recommendation

reply to daake07
said by daake07:

This is what they deserve for not creating redundancy. I don't care how small you are, if you are hosting any data you must assume it is mission critical for someone and down time is not acceptable.

Yeah, because you know, all those people on the coast without power, which is what is required to use the internet will really be dying to access all the websites this hosting company supports and hosts......

Just curious, do you think before you type?

Matt
--
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. -Albert Einstein

Seaboogers

join:2004-11-01
Sarasota, FL
said by mmay149q:

said by daake07:

Yeah, because you know, all those people on the coast without power, which is what is required to use the internet will really be dying to access all the websites this hosting company supports and hosts......

Matt

Uh...did you actually think before you typed this reponse? If I have to point out the ridiculousness of it, you have bigger problems to worry about.

watice

join:2008-11-01
New York, NY
reply to mmay149q
said by mmay149q:

said by daake07:

Matt

not sure if this is a joke or not. Are you saying only east coast ppl without power normally access this hosting providers services? You are aware that the internet is worldwide, right? Bit confused here.

Simba7
I Void Warranties

join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
reply to daake07
said by daake07:

This is why people are trying to relocate data centers inland where the only issue is tornadoes and you can make a building to withstand that.

Heh.. We don't have that issue, yet no one builds them here.

michieru
Premium
join:2009-07-25
Miami, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to daake07
Your right down time is not acceptable and they are doing what they can to keep the data center up and running. So a round of applause for a couple of nerds running up and down stairs who probably never exercised a day in their life to keep their customers running.

Even with all the redundancy in the world you cannot anticipate every single variable that can happen towards your data center regardless of size or financial power. So you can stop being a prick and give some praise for employees who are keeping services running so the rest of america can sit on the computer and complain about data center redundancy.

mmay149q
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to Seaboogers
said by Seaboogers:

said by mmay149q:

said by daake07:

Matt

Uh...did you actually think before you typed this reponse? If I have to point out the ridiculousness of it, you have bigger problems to worry about.

Yes I did, and yes I understand that these services MAY be accessed all over the entire world or even by the astronauts in the space station orbiting the planet..... But we don't know what all is hosted from this one particular site, and how do you know that west coast routing is routing the traffic directly to this data center? When logically it's better to route it to a data center closer on the west coast? See I took that all into play before I typed my sentence, since probably 95% of people on this website don't know everything hosted through that data center, what I said could have a logical backing to it, if it's following the logical flow of how routing on the internet works.

Matt
--
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. -Albert Einstein

mmay149q
Premium
Dallas, TX
reply to watice
said by watice:

said by mmay149q:

said by daake07:

Matt

not sure if this is a joke or not. Are you saying only east coast ppl without power normally access this hosting providers services? You are aware that the internet is worldwide, right? Bit confused here.

No I'm just looking at the standard logic behind routing, which is shortest distance for lowest ping, if up to even 30% of the traffic is coming from the Midwest/West Coast and the other 60% is all East coast, then what I said stands pretty well, but since no one really knows where all their traffic comes from, it's just a logical thought process for looking at the situation.

Matt
--

battleop

join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

Routing decisions are based on shortest path (not physical distance) and often by Geo Location databases. It's possible for you to be on the West Coast and have a shorter path to a server in New York than one in Las Vegas. Not to mention that Geo Location databases are very often inaccurate.

Even with that the vast majority of websites are not using complex hosting from multiple datacenters or CDNs.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

battleop

reply to michieru
You can only become redundant to a certain point once you cross that point you are losing money and it won't matter very long anyway.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to Simba7
said by Simba7:

said by daake07:

Heh.. We don't have that issue, yet no one builds them here.

Old missile silos make decent data centers.
Open the blast door to let out all the server heat and from space it looks just like a missile launch in the IR spectrum

rchandra
Stargate Universe fan
Premium
join:2000-11-09
14225-2105
reply to daake07
Uhhhh...no. Just ask the Fukushima Daiichi people about engineering stuff to withstand anything. They had pretty good engineering, but there will always be that tornado/tsunami/earthquake/whatever which is stronger than ever encountered in human history. That's also not to mention all dependencies, such as data links and such which will have a tough time surviving storms, earthquakes, and such. The only complete answer is geographic diversity; some even maybe on a coast, some inland, some in the mountains, you name it.
--
English is a difficult enough language to interpret correctly when its rules are followed, let alone when a writer chooses not to follow those rules.

Jeopardy! replies and randomcaps REALLY suck!

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
reply to mmay149q
Youre also assuming that data is replicated amongst all of these DCs. Id wager the vast majority of it isnt.

This "cloud" thingy is not ubiquitous or omnipresent, there are still plenty of websites and services that will be affected by a single datacentre outage.

battleop

reply to rchandra
What you are talking about costs a lot of money. For some companies it's cheaper to take a hit for a few days than it is to spend 2-3 times the money on a "what if" scenario.
--