join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK
Netgear WNDR3700v2
Zoom 5341J

KrK to Meathax

Premium Member

to Meathax

Re: Lifeline Internet Service

2/3rds of Americans below the Poverty line have Cable or Satellite TV service. The average home has 3 or more TV's and more then half have video game consoles like Xbox 360 or PS3.

It's just a question of priorities and morals.... or the lack of them.
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned)

said by KrK:

2/3rds of Americans below the Poverty line have Cable or Satellite TV service. The average home has 3 or more TV's and more then half have video game consoles like Xbox 360 or PS3.

It's just a question of priorities and morals.... or the lack of them.

You could say the same for businesses as well.

Part of the reason why Charter and other companies initially offered a lite service is that they realized that there is a fairly large market for modest inexpensive internet service, and although the profit per sub they would make would be low, they would still make something and also serve the community as well. The subscriber was paying his way of course, but only received the service level he was actually paying for. A great concept.

Now we have these companies trying to soak those that support themselves and pay their way in a responsible manner. Sure there are also folks that want and can afford expensive high speed services but there are many more that need something more reasonable and only expect to receive the level of service they are actually paying for.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by 15444104:

Part of the reason why Charter and other companies initially offered a lite service is that they realized that there is a fairly large market for modest inexpensive internet service, and although the profit per sub they would make would be low, they would still make something and also serve the community as well. The subscriber was paying his way of course, but only received the service level he was actually paying for. A great concept.

Here is a contrasting viewpoint from the CEO of a local DSL service provider which does not tier their native service ("Fusion"):

»Re: I feel like I'm subsidizing other customers

If he is right, and speed is costless, a slower cable speed tier should cost the same as a higher speed tier.