Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium
join:2000-09-20
DFW
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Hurricane of 1938.

Due to the Hurricane of 1938, most businesses in Providence RI moved their telco to the 2nd floor or higher. Maybe NYC businesses will learn from this storm and do the same because it will happen again.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

Re: Hurricane of 1938.

said by Harddrive:

Maybe NYC businesses will learn from this storm and do the same because it will happen again.

Or they move everything back down to the basement or ground floors because it won't happen again.

Knee jerk reaction would be to move it all up higher...until an earthquake happens and it all comes crashing back down.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus

join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL
I doubt it.
They have not learned from the last 60 hurricanes over the last 100 years.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ne···rricanes
cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:8
They put power infrastructure below ground for several reasons... 1) that's where the power mains are, 2) electrical equipment is large, heavy, and generates a lot of heat, and 3) above ground space is much more valuable. Normally, the large transformers and such are placed in the basement during construction, as they're too large to move in later.

I only have one question... how the hell did they *normally* get fuel to the 17th floor?

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5

They have bulk storage tanks in the basement, with pumps attached that automatically refill "day tanks" next to the generator itself.

So the generator has an immediate fuel supply, with the bulk stored somewhere else - e.g. somewhere where weight concerns are less, or storage space is greater, or refuelling is easily performed - or a combination of all. There are limits to how much weight you can plonk on top of a building.
cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:8

I wasn't talking about the mass of fuel. Transformers and generators are rather heavy beasts on their own.

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5

But you were asking how they would normally get fuel to the 17th floor, and thats what I explained in the first sentence.

The second sentence was just extra trivia for anyone else "not in the know."
majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
The problem is power. moving the servers to the second floor wont help.