uniqs
share rss forum feed

dick white
Premium
join:2000-03-24
Annandale, VA
reply to dick white

Re: Sump pump w/ battery backup

Power was restored today and the pump immediately emptied the rest of the sump pit. But it is an old pump, so we may replace the whole kit'n'kaboodle anyway rather than just add a backup. That Watchdog Big Dog looks interesting, nice tight arrangement to fit both into the same smallish sump, easy assembly of the piping, however don't like the wet acid battery but there is information suggesting an AGM battery is compatible with the unit's electronics. Still more research, hopefully Sandy's next of kin will stay out until them.

dw

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk

I have only been here a few months. So far the battery has only required water added, about every 6 weeks. Am kind of concerned about reports of it dieing in 3 or 4 years. So far other than me testing it the backup pump has never been used.

If I remember the documentation you can use other type deep cycle batteries but the low water sensor won't work.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT

said by dcurrey:

Am kind of concerned about reports of it dieing in 3 or 4 years.

The expected life of a lead-acid battery is about 3-4 years.

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk

From the Watchdog FAQ

Q. Do you need a Basement Watchdog battery?
A. You can use any deep cycle marine battery, as long as it is not maintenance-free. However, there are several advantages to using a Basement Watchdog battery. The Watchdog battery accommodates the system a fluid sensor which will sound an alarm when the battery needs water a very important feature, since a dry battery will not perform. In addition, Basement Watchdog batteries run longer per charge, and last years longer. A typical marine battery will last 2-4 years, while the Watchdog battery will last approximately 5-7 years. Basement Watchdog batteries are shipped dry (without acid) so they stay fresh on the shelf indefinitely, while wet batteries have a short shelf life.
Seen lots of complaints about them failing in 3-4 years. So based on that they are no better.