Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to C0deZer0

Premium Member

to C0deZer0

Re: R4 for DS Lite?

Cool!

Did some more reading on it today. The DStwo sounds like the most feature rich, but costs more (but only a little more for more features).

Another question: The EOS, I take it if I make more cards for him, I will need the same OS version? Does the OS load anything ON the DS Lite?

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

The EOS for the DStwo is basically like akAIO for the Acekard series, or essentially... Windows. It's the OS that then starts up and will load the ROMs or homebrew apps on the card.

No, it does not need the same EOS across different SD cards; but I have personally not had any reason to run anything but the latest EOS when I set up mine, simply because it has been so trouble-free, and most of the changes are particularly for addressing any compatibility issues, or in some rare cases, to work around blocking measures done by Nintendo for instance.

The DS by its nature pretty much just has the operating RAM and loads stuff from the ROM on the retail and flash cards to run software, or run games. So it's not like having it in the system installs some program on the DS system itself; it 'goes away' when you take the card out, just like a retail game card. In that event, any changes to data would happen on the microSD in the flashcard, rather than on the DS itself.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Ah, so different from rockbox for Cowon (and other) media players. So the firmware, THAT does change, right? But no need for it on a DS Lite, right?

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0

Premium Member

Not necessary, but doesn't damage anything. And if he ever by chance encounters and can play on a DSi or 3DS, all the better to get it updated anyway. There's almost no reason not to keep the card up to date in that regard, since it's basically just ensuring it can be played on any given DS system it could ever be in.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

Ah hah! So the firmware is what loads on the DStwo, rather than the DS Lite. Ah, I see now! I suddenly comprehend the obvious (ok, I'm old, tired, and a dipstick, my mom called me her absent minded professor when I was a kid).
Expand your moderator at work
82352757 (banned)
join:2013-01-04

82352757 (banned) to signmeuptoo94

to signmeuptoo94

Re: R4 for DS Lite?

Thanks guys. I am looking at the SUPERCARD DS TWO thanks to a recommendation by somebody here.