spc
Search similar:

uniqs
scottp99
join:2010-12-11

scottp99

TrueCrypt FIPS 140-2 Compliant?

Is TC really FIPS 140-2 compliant?
Is it sufficient enough for home PCs and notebooks?

Because I know the enterprise ones contains backdoors.

Thanks!!!

ashrc4
Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

ashrc4

Premium Member

Their site says this;
To our best knowledge, TrueCrypt complies with the following standards, specifications, and recommendations:

ISO/IEC 10118-3:2004 [21]

FIPS 197 [3]

FIPS 198 [22]

FIPS 180-2 [14]

NIST SP 800-3E [24]

PKCS #5 v2.0 [7]

PKCS #11 v2.20 [23]

Is it up to date? Don't know.

»www.truecrypt.org/docs/? ··· tandards

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to scottp99

Premium Member

to scottp99
said by scottp99:

... Because I know the enterprise ones contains backdoors. ...

How do you know that?
lawrence171
join:2001-12-24
Canada

lawrence171

Some of them might have this built in for "support" reasons (i.e. multiple passwords)
scottp99

4 edits

scottp99

Click for full size
Click for full size
And I have another question or more of a concern.
Whats the point of a pre-boot password when theres also an option to hit the ESC Key and then it just goes to boot into Windows without needing the password like in the print screen, but when in Windows, its telling me that my whole drive is encrypted. This was when I was in Encryption Pre-Test phase of the installation (with reboot required). But this really bugs me.

The SKIP AUTHENTICATION thing really bothers me. Whats the point of needing a TrueCrypt password when you can also Skip Authentication?

Can you please explain what is Skip Authentication used for? Its not in the documentations.

Now my HDD is encrpyted, then restarted again, and when I hit the ESC key, now it gives the NO BOOTABLE PARTITION FOUND message. I hope thats a good sign. And then when entering the TC pre-boot password I can now enter to Windows boot up.

Please explain whats Skip Authentication means.

Thanks

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by scottp99:

And I have another question or more of a concern.
Whats the point of a pre-boot password when theres also an option to hit the ESC Key and then it just goes to boot into Windows without needing the password like in the print screen, but when in Windows, its telling me that my whole drive is encrypted. This was when I was in Encryption Pre-Test phase of the installation (with reboot required). But this really bugs me.

The SKIP AUTHENTICATION thing really bothers me. Whats the point of needing a TrueCrypt password when you can also Skip Authentication?

Can you please explain what is Skip Authentication used for? Its not in the documentations.

Now my HDD is encrpyted, then restarted again, and when I hit the ESC key, now it gives the NO BOOTABLE PARTITION FOUND message. I hope thats a good sign. And then when entering the TC pre-boot password I can now enter to Windows boot up.

Please explain whats Skip Authentication means.

Thanks

I have my whole drive encrypted and when I hit the ESC key to bypass it, it does NOT bypass it and instead keeps asking for the password.
scottp99

2 edits

scottp99

FIPS-182-2 seems ok.
scottp99

scottp99

I have just encrypted my whole system disk with Truecrypt on my notebook running Windows 7.

Now, I have a Windows 7 image that I created BEFORE encrypting the disk. Now in case I have to restore the image file, will TrueCrypt still prompt me for the encryption password? Or, my notebook will be unencrypted the way it was when I created the Windows 7 image file?