Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to graysonf

Re: Free, Fully Functional Copy Of 'CrossOver'

My question is:
What happens when the free time frame ends? Does it lock up, making you pay for it?
I understand it's for a year, but I'd like to know if there is a hammer at the end of the year requiring me to pay.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
I doubt there is any time bomb in it the program itself. The free support runs out after one year.

Even if the program is timebombed, so what? You got a free year.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
reply to Snakeoil
According to the information on their site, you get a fully functional version (no time bomb, no limited features, etc.). In addition, you get one year of support which includes upgrades.

Once the support contract ends, the program should still work although you will not get free bug fixes. I'm sure they are betting on the fact that some people will like the software enough to buy a support contract in 12 months to guard against vulnerabilities and enjoy new features.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to graysonf
Because if I ditch playonlinux, I don't want to go back through reconfiguring everything all over again a year from now.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
reply to No_Strings
k. I've been tempted to try Crossover before, but haven't because I found and use Playlinux. The cost was the deciding factor.

I'm still on the fence, and may not make the leap. I just don't know. *ugh*
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
Understood. I'm going to consider it a cheap learning experience ... which is a nice change. Most of my lessons come at a high cost.

Snakeoil
Premium
Mentor, OH
I think, that Codeweavers/Crossover support Wine. Meaning they help develop it.

So any support they get is pretty good I guess.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
reply to Snakeoil
Unless Crossover offers some capability you must have that is absent in PlayonLinux, then just stick with what you have.