Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TigerLord

Re: Are you upgrading to Windows 8 on your gaming machine?

said by TigerLord:

I'd love to use Linux more, but don't have the time to deal with the hassle of dual booting.

You could create a live distro with unetbootin + a live distro of your choice.

Knoppix is a distro that's intended to be used live rather than installed you could give that a go.

I use K/X/Ubuntu live all the time to fix and recover friends' borked Windows machines.

If you don't want to dual boot but still use Linux; live is the way to go, you can go Wubi as well (where you install Linux within Windows) but I really don't like it.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:5

said by El Quintron:

said by TigerLord:

I'd love to use Linux more, but don't have the time to deal with the hassle of dual booting.

If you don't want to dual boot but still use Linux; live is the way to go, you can go Wubi as well (where you install Linux within Windows) but I really don't like it.

I'll second disdain towards Wubi.

Another alternative is virtual machine. Because games require more dedication, Windows is usually my host OS. I have many, many different flavors of Linux within vdi files all over my house. I dual boot Windows 8 and Arch, with Virtual Box in both that utilize shared .vdi's to help test development.

As I only use Windows for DirectX games, mainly, Windows 8 was a nice upgrade. With all the games on the tiles, I boot, pick and am in enjoying it much, noticeably much faster than any other version. It really does feel like a gaming appliance now, I thought that would bother me, but it doesn't. If I want to tinker, hack, or get my geek on: Linux is there. If I just want to game, I'm 16-24 seconds from power button to in-game menu with Windows 8.
--
Show off that hardware: join Team Discovery and Team Helix