garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to GenNewbie

Premium Member

to GenNewbie

Re: Generator doesn't work with Direct Vent Hot Water Heater

If you PROPERLY connect the generator's neutral and ground wires, as described in this post »Re: Generator doesn't work with Direct Vent Hot Water Heater then you will just make your generator act like your utility, at least as far as neutral/ground goes.

Then, the next thing to do is to connect the generator's ground terminal to your house's ground system. There are specialized parts to do that (a "split nut" on the panel's ground wire is ideal) but, in a pinch, you could connect it to a screw holding the cover plate onto one of your house's grounded outlets. That's NOT a proper ground bond, by any means, but it's better than nothing.

GenNewbie
@rr.com

GenNewbie

Anon

Could I attach a ground wire from the gen to the thick braided cooper jump wire that is jumping the 2 pipes coming out of the hot water heater? I assume that is a grounding wire? It is accessible and since there is no sheathing and it is right near the same basement window, if it safe, it would be convenient. Thanks!

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by GenNewbie :

Could I attach a ground wire from the gen to the thick braided cooper jump wire that is jumping the 2 pipes coming out of the hot water heater? I assume that is a grounding wire? It is accessible and since there is no sheathing and it is right near the same basement window, if it safe, it would be convenient. Thanks!

That new jumper was installed to prevent electrically isolating the hot water piping from the cold, that's all. The cold water side SHOULD be bonded to the breaker panel's ground bus, but it may not be unless you can see that it is. Any plastic pipe or dielectric fittings between that water heater jumper and any panel bond will disrupt that connection, too.

I'd stick with an electrical ground, not the plumbing system.