uniqs
mmay149q
Premium Member
join:2009-03-05
Dallas, TX

mmay149q to watice

Premium Member

to watice

Re: Poor planning on behalf of the hosting company.

said by watice:

said by mmay149q:

said by daake07:

This is what they deserve for not creating redundancy. I don't care how small you are, if you are hosting any data you must assume it is mission critical for someone and down time is not acceptable.

Yeah, because you know, all those people on the coast without power, which is what is required to use the internet will really be dying to access all the websites this hosting company supports and hosts......

Just curious, do you think before you type?

Matt

not sure if this is a joke or not. Are you saying only east coast ppl without power normally access this hosting providers services? You are aware that the internet is worldwide, right? Bit confused here.

No I'm just looking at the standard logic behind routing, which is shortest distance for lowest ping, if up to even 30% of the traffic is coming from the Midwest/West Coast and the other 60% is all East coast, then what I said stands pretty well, but since no one really knows where all their traffic comes from, it's just a logical thought process for looking at the situation.

Matt

battleop
join:2005-09-28

1 recommendation

battleop

Routing decisions are based on shortest path (not physical distance) and often by Geo Location databases. It's possible for you to be on the West Coast and have a shorter path to a server in New York than one in Las Vegas. Not to mention that Geo Location databases are very often inaccurate.

Even with that the vast majority of websites are not using complex hosting from multiple datacenters or CDNs.